TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

AA meeting. - September 21st 2013, 07:04 PM

Long story short, I've been diagnosed with a personality disorder and have struggled for a long time. This week I was discharged from a psychiatric ward after 6/7 weeks after being admitted because of my alcohol intake (I had to go on detox for nearly two weeks) and severe self harm. I'm supposed to be going to Rehab but it could take a while.

There's an AA meeting every Sunday literally two minutes down the road from me and I'm debating whether to go or not. Things are really bad for me and I've already started drinking again but I don't think I have the intention to stop; I just want to be around people who might understand me to feel less alone?

Has anyone ever gone to an AA meeting? I have no idea what they are like and I can't decide whether or not to go.

Thank you.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: AA meeting. - September 21st 2013, 07:32 PM

Hi Jessie,
I have never been to AA but I do have some thoughts on this.
I believe you debating this is not a bad thing at all. The thing about going to the meeting is that it is something you have never done before so of course, naturally, it seems scary and frightening to think about going. I do not believe it will hurt for you to go. You should be able to go and see how you like the first meeting or two.
I think it could also be helpful because there may be group sort of times at the place you will be going for rehab and this could be a way you could incorperate that aspect of the treatment in your life before getting to the program. The groups in both places may be different but going to AA could help you to adjust to talking about yourself and what is associated with your drinking with a group of people.
Hope this helps and you can PM me if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: AA meeting. - September 21st 2013, 08:11 PM

Hi Jessie,

I have been to a couple open AA meetings before. (Open meetings are ones where family members or friends can attend). The ones that I went to, they had one or two members of the group who had volunteered from a previous week to come up to the front and tell their story about what they had been through and how they were doing now. From listening to what they had to say, a lot of people could relate to the speaker's life experience. Once the speakers were done, they opened up the floor to everyone, and announced certain group members who were celebrating a birthday (a birthday is the date when someone has been sober for a year or more). They also asked if people wanted to share anything with the group. And at the end of the meetings when they wrapped everything up, they encouraged everyone to at least say hello to one new person before they left, although it wasn't necessary.

The meetings I have attended have been very interesting experiences, and I know a few people who have said the meetings were just what they needed at the time. Everyone is very understanding and open to new members. You may find you can relate to some members and share or have shared the same struggles. AA is a support tool. It isn't for everyone, but you never really know until you attend a meeting. It could be very helpful to have support from others who truly understand what you're going through.

Anyways, I hope this helps a bit. I'm not sure if all meetings are the same, but this is my experience. Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: AA meeting. - September 23rd 2013, 10:18 PM

I have never been to an AA meeting before, but I do know of some people who have been to a few meetings before. From my understanding, the main purpose of AA meetings is to help you stay sober and to help other alcoholics stay sober as well. If it is your first meeting, then you are most likely probably going to have to tell your story and what not. There are usually discussions during this AA meetings, but they most likely differ from place to place.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: AA meeting. - September 24th 2013, 04:44 AM

I had to go to one for a class once, make sure you go to an open meeting (when you search it will specify) otherwise they won't let you in. In the one I went to everyone was accepting of me being there and supportive of each other. We sat around a table and discussed the 12th step. (I just listened) and I told them from the beginning that I was there for a class and not an alcoholic. They were still okay with me being there and someone asked me questions about the class.

I didn't personally agree with everything that they said/believed, but I don't see the harm in going and trying it out. If you decide it isn't for you, it's only an hour and you don't have to go back.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread