TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

alcoholic dad? - February 17th 2014, 03:04 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i think my dad is an alcoholic. my brother doesn't, so my question is what qualify's a person as an alcoholic? my dad keeps a large case of beer in a cabinet and i don't know how often that gets replaced. my parents keep alcohol in a cabinet in the dining room. right now there are at least 15 mostly empty bottles and i mean big vodka bottles and whisky and such. stuff that really shouldn't be consumed in large quantities. my mom says there have been 3-4 new vodka bottles in the past few months as well as some other stuff.

my mother doesn't really drink. last year she started noticing the bottles emptying and my dad denied drinking and told her that my brother and i must be sneaking into the cabinet. it wouldn't surprise me if my brother went in there every now and then, but i hate the smell of alcohol, and people in my family get addicted very easily so im not inclined to experiment.

also, my dad has a job where he can't work late, yet he's always coming home an hour or more late, often in a bad mood. my brother just says i piss him off, but even when i don't come downstairs he gets mad. what do you guys think? i really don't know what to do.

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: alcoholic dad? - February 17th 2014, 03:03 PM

Hi there!
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling. Please remember that your parent's drinking is never your fault. Alcoholism is a disease where a person drinks too much and even uncontrollably. It requires treatment and normally will not just go away. In fact, it can sometimes get worse as a person turns to alcohol more and more to cope with every day things. Even if your dad is not drinking uncontrollably at the moment (it sounds like you aren't sure), it is affecting how he is acting (most likely). Anger and mood swings are things to look out for.

If this is bothering you, I would suggest reaching out to someone. You could talk to someone like a school counselor or a family member. People like school counsellors will often have access to great resources such as support groups that you can use. Also, finding a friend to confide in when you feel alone or scared is a good way to cope. A support system is very important!

Find good ways to deal with your feelings . You can talk it out, write some poetry, or even draw (and then share in Self Expression of course ) Find some people you trust to talk to and try to cope as best you can. Only the person with the drinking problem can fix it. There are things like AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and other support groups available to assist alcoholics and their families. You could always look into one in your area .

Stay strong and I'm always up for a chat if you want to talk or vent at all . I hope this helped a little bit!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hottie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: alcoholic dad? - February 17th 2014, 05:11 PM

ok, i was raised by my alcoholic grandmother until i was 11 years old, and this sounds very familiar. im sorry, hun, but i think ur right about that. *hugs* ik its alot to go through, but u just have to be strong. if u are strong you will come out of this storm a better person for having endured it.

"smooth seas do not make a skilled sailor" -Mark Twain

Closed Thread