TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jays Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jamie Sue

Question Pain Killers - April 3rd 2014, 02:28 PM

I am a dancer and i hurt my knee about 2 years ago. I have gotten addicted to the painkillers. Could i go to rehab? And if i do would that affect my chances of getting in to the military?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Pain Killers - April 4th 2014, 12:06 AM

Hello there,

If you feel rehab is something you would like to consider going to, do some research on where you would like to go to receive treatment. There are many options out there for what kind of treatment you need and/or want.

You can also try going to a detox centre where they cleanse your system of toxins which can help you start that recovery in a treatment program. You could also see an addictions counselor where they will work with you on your addiction.

Many people have been put on some form of pain medication which they become addicted or attracted to, which causes some concerns later on if that time the person used medication for pain management to relying on medication for so long, people tend to think it's a regular vitamin when it is not, then they find themselves taking it every day or a few times per day.

Addictions are very hard to overcome and some people require to be in an in-treatment program because of the addiction, how much they are using, how their body would react, and how they mentally can handle the withdrawals. A in-patient treatment program allows 24/7 supervision and on call medical staff who are trained to deal with any kind of withdrawal they may be experiencing.

Out-patient treatment programs offers counseling, being educated, and taught about withdrawals, and weaning them off the medication in a safe slow way. With in-patient treatment weaning can be challenging due to what that person is addicted to. Out-patient is where you can do your regular activities with the supervision of the addictions counselor. However, they may require to do drug testing to ensure you are honest and that treatment is being successful and most beneficial to you.

Here are a few links you can take a look at:

1) RehabInfo: RehabInfo.net is a comprehensive guide for the entire treatment process for addiction – from spotting issues to finding and enrolling into rehabilitation.

2) Erowid: This site contains a vast network of information on countless drugs including the effects, doses, health issues, legal issues, images, and the chemical structure of drugs, as well as experiences from those who have used the drug.

If you have any other questions please post back.

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Pain Killers - April 4th 2014, 12:09 AM

It really depends on how addicted you are, how it affects your life and what the actual painkiller is.

But the chances are that if you still need to take painkillers after two years for a knee injury then you probably won't be fit to join the military.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jays Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jamie Sue

Re: Pain Killers - April 4th 2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobies View Post
It really depends on how addicted you are, how it affects your life and what the actual painkiller is.

But the chances are that if you still need to take painkillers after two years for a knee injury then you probably won't be fit to join the military.
I injured it twice. December 27, 2012 & November 11, 2013. And I take the pain killers when ever i get out of dance, when i finish a 1/2 mile run. I take 8 hour of dance. I run every morning before i eat, lunch, and dinner. and before my shower.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Pain Killers - April 4th 2014, 07:52 AM

Are you taking them because of the pain, or because you like the way they make you feel? This is the line between using them because you need them, and using them because you want to. If you are using them because you want to, then you could go to rehab if you don't think you are able to quit on your own. Before you consider going into rehab, I would take to whoever you are living with about this and have them help you quit. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, have a friend take the pills and only give you as much as you are prescribed to take every day.
There are numerous other options for self-help as well. There are apps you can get on your phone to mark down how much you are allowed to have and whether you took more of it or not. You can also keep a journal if you don't have a smart phone. Additionally, you can have a reward system where if you don't abuse the pills, you reward yourself somehow. You can also reverse this and remove something you enjoy for whenever you abuse the pills.
If you do choose to go to rehab, I don't think this will affect your chances of getting into the military because you would be clean afterwards. They wouldn't hold your past against you, I would think.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Pain Killers - April 6th 2014, 06:15 PM

Now that you believe you are pregnant I would really recommend seeking professional help to deal with this. Even just talk to your doctor, but it is extremely important now.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: Pain Killers - April 6th 2014, 08:19 PM

I recommend that you talk to someone before deciding to go to rehab. Seeing your doctor about it might help as they will be able to check your knee (if it's still really hurting, then it may be a sign that something's wrong and you'll want to get that treated sooner rather than later). If you're physically addicted, then seeing your doctor will help too - addiction is not that unusual if you've had to take lots of painkillers over the years, and seeing as you had an actual condition, your doctor may be able to help you stop taking them and dealing with the side effects of stopping.

If you've been taking them as a way to cope with something psychological, then it's also a good idea to see someone like a therapist or counsellor. They may be able to discuss your issues with you and help you assess what kind of help you may need.

I also recommend doing lots of research on your options, forms of treatment, and any rehab clinics you may be considering. There are many different methods that depend not only on the substances but also what your addiction is like and even what treatment is a better fit for your particular issues and personality.

As to impacting your chances in your future career of choice, I honestly don't know. I think it would be much worse for you if you tried to apply for it while struggling with an addiction! You can always do some research on confidentiality, background checks, things like that. I do know in some career paths it probably doesn't matter much if you're ok by the time you apply but I don't know about the military wherever you live.

Closed Thread