TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Question debating weather I should quit? - December 16th 2014, 02:28 AM

Hey all!

Idk if anyone of you guys know, but I smoke cigarettes. Idk if I'm addicted or not. I kinda want to stop, but I don't at the same time. My lungs are hurting and it scares me a lot. But like I can't get them for like a week, and I'm freaking out and wondering how I'm gonna survive. It is almost a daily thing now, but I love it. Its tearing me up so much! I think I would be so much better off if I quit, but have no motivation. Like I don't want to die of cancer of something you know?

I'm to afraid to tell my friend that I wanna quit or tell anyone. Like NOBODY knows that I do this in real life, so I don't want to shock them with the truth you know? (Expect the one I smoke with)

So basically I'm wondering how do I quit? Without getting in trouble?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: debating weather I should quit? - December 16th 2014, 11:24 AM

The addicting thing about cigarrettes is nicotine. You should consider try using nicotine candy or nicotine patches.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: debating weather I should quit? - December 16th 2014, 02:58 PM

Hey there Angie,

Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult drug addictions to beat. It's difficult because of the nicotine. Nicotine is the drug that when we start to smoke cigarettes we rely so much on and when we quit or we can't afford or get cigarettes it can be extremely challenging.

You won't get in trouble for quitting, in fact having others support you through your quit can make it much easier because they can help you through it and help you to not smoke a cigarette when a craving comes up. However, in your case no one knows; which is perfectly fine. In fact you have a lot of supports available to you if you decide to quit smoking, I am going to provide some web sites that you can take a look at.

Most clinics and doctors offices can provide you with some nicotine replacements that are free to you or at a reduced cost (depending on what you need and location). You can ask for nicotine gum, patches, and prescription medication.

Nicotine Gum: Nicotine gum works like regular gum but the difference is, you chew a few times, then park it against your check and teeth, then chew a few times and park. You aren't suppose to chew it like regular gum and once the flavor goes away you get rid of it. Usually each gum is suppose to stay in the mouth for about 20 minutes. You can get them in a few different mg depending on how much you smoke each day.

Nicotine Patches: The patch you apply each day on your shoulder, the patch then gives you constant nicotine entering your body this prevents any cravings to occur, if so, you can use some gum to beat the craving.

Medication: In some cases when someone smokes for years and a lot at a time each day, doctors recommend medication to help with the withdrawals and manage your stress levels.

Usually a nurse can assist you with getting some replacements. They will ask you some screening questions like, how much do you smoke a day, how long have you smoked cigarettes, your goals, how you are feeling, your overall health, etc., this can help the nurse and/or doctor to give you the correct amount of mg needed. They can also discuss options for quitting and provide some local support centres or even counseling (phone, iin person, check ups)

I found a website for the American Lung Association that has a wide variety of information for you to use. You can also do a google search of your city/town for nicotine replacements and support centers or clinics that offer services.

Let us know how you are doing, okay?

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread