TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

I know that this could become a problem but... - January 29th 2015, 03:05 AM

I have only had alcohol a few times in my life. My parents let me try a sip of wine, gross. My parents let me try a sip of beer, also gross.

Then I tried another type of alcohol and it wasn't bad. I had it again on another occasion, just a few sips both times, mind you I also tried two other types of alcohol on this day and it left me wanting more. This was somewhere in the range of December 22-24th, I was with family so there was no way of getting drunk.

On New Year's Eve I got buzzed for the first time. I liked it and we plan on doing it again sometime.

Maybe a week or two ago I tried a different type of alcohol for the first time mixed with a non-alcoholic beverage and I liked it. So, I gave money to my friend who has an of-age connection and bought some. I have already drank some of it and while I wasn't blackout drunk or anything I definitely felt its effects.

After the time I tried alcohol in December I got a lot of cravings for more right after.

Alcoholism is genetic in my family. My grandfather had it and apparently so did all his brothers. Two of my aunts have it. One of my aunts doesn't keep alcohol in the house because she knows she will drink it. My dad isn't an alcoholic because my mom monitors him closely.

I plan on buying more alcohol once this is out, if my friend lets me. I've only drank it once and made a small dent. My friend said I put as much alcohol into my cup as her father who is a heavyweight does. I have already thought to myself that I could easily bring this to class but I doubt I'd actually do that.

Am I already showing signs of alcoholism? Could this be a problem already? :/ I'm not doing it to cope. I just...like it I guess.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: I know that this could become a problem but... - January 29th 2015, 09:28 PM

Everything Dezie has said applies to me too. Don't know if alcoholism runs in my family, though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I know that this could become a problem but... - January 29th 2015, 11:27 PM

OKAY, so I have some updates.
I got drunk for the first time last night and jeeeesus fuck, that is not something I want to do again. The hangover was terrible. I missed class. I'll see him during his office hours and if he asks I'll say I had lady problems. It's not an entire lie.

But, does that necessarily mean I'm NOT an alcoholic, because I don't want to get to the DRUNK stage? I'm deeefinitely not drinking for a while because the thought of drinking right now makes me want to puke, but I'd be open to getting BUZZED often.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: I know that this could become a problem but... - January 29th 2015, 11:46 PM

Alcoholism is tricky. You can really tell that you're starting to get hooked when you use alcohol as an outlet for something like stress or sadness. If you use it as a coping mechanism or emotional comfort, then your risk of becoming dependent on it will increase dramatically. Also, are you drinking by yourself, or socially?

I personally don't see any qualms with social drinking. You got drunk, but now you know your limit and how bad a hangover feels :-P However, I hope your of-age friend is careful when they buy you alcohol, as the police in our state are cracking down on that big time.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I know that this could become a problem but... - January 29th 2015, 11:59 PM

Well, this time I was alone unless you count online friends.
The other time I got buzzed it was socially.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: I know that this could become a problem but... - February 2nd 2015, 03:08 AM

Honestly I've never really understood why drinking alone is supposedly worse than social drinking. Having done both extensively, I feel that social drinking can be more of a coping mechanism (coping for social anxiety, most often) as well as unhealthy competition ("let's see who can drink the most," etc.). Alcoholism is obviously something to watch out for, especially if it runs in your family. It's good that you don't enjoy getting drunk. Aside from potential immediate consequences, such as alcohol poisoning and terrible hangovers, the long term effects of binge drinking are pretty terrible. I personally became depressed and suicidal after a solid year of excessive drinking multiple nights per week in college. Many alcoholics have it considerably worse than I did.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread