TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

cravings - February 23rd 2015, 09:28 AM

Coming from an Asian culture drinking/drugs is out of the question. However I started smoking at 15 years of age and still smoke now. My parents don't know about this though, they'd probably kill me if they found out.. My aunt is an alcoholic, nobody knows this in the family besides me. A couple of years back when she was trying to cut down, I figured that if I drank some of her alcohol, by the time she was on her second glass she wouldn't know how much she'd had. So I started drinking with her, in a bid to make sure she had less. Big mistake. obviously it didn't work, well she wasn't aware that she was drinking less but she still didn't want to completely stop. A few years down the line now and me and my flat mate decided to go get a bottle of wine and share it. I guess I was being rebellious, but I didn't care. Since then I have bought 3 more bottles of wine, I haven't told any one though, it's just not right. I get cravings so bad, and although I hate the taste of it once its down me I want more and more. I like the feeling of falling into a deep slumber and waking up the next day (albeit with a hangover) with 12+ hours of sleep.. I know I shouldn't do this but I feel as if im losing control. I always said I would never touch alcohol after what happened with my aunt, she still drinks now like way above how much is normally recommended. I swore I wouldn't be like her. but I want more.

On another note, I used to sometimes smoke weed with a friend. We'd share a joint or he'd leave me some weed and i'd have a joint before bed. But me and him had a fall out so I can't get any more weed, but I really really want it. I was at my cousins house the other day, and I had half her joint. She has the proper strong weed, don't know what strain it is, but it hit me straight away. I was totally out of it, couldn't remember what we'd talk about or keep up the conversation at all, but I liked it. I came home drank a bottle of wine and knocked out. Now I want more. I know it's not good but I want more. Im not an addict, I have only drank alcohol on the few occasions mentioned above, and only smoked weed a few times too.. I just feel like I need something to numb out my pain and hurt, I just want to feel something different. I can taste the alcohol, I can smell the weed I want them both

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: cravings - March 5th 2015, 12:05 PM

Hello Sabah,

It is okay to drink alcohol, you aren't under age. It's okay to drink alcohol when you know what your limits are. Drinking in moderation is okay, but when it starts to become a problem, I would recommend talking to a doctor or even a counselor/social worker.

The difference between drinking when it is healthy vs unhealthy.

Healthy
  • You are aware of what your limits are when you drink (like when you know when it's time to stop drinking)
  • Drinking in moderation (like small amounts 2-3 times a week, or once a week, few times a month, are examples)
  • When to say no, when you had enough

Unhealthy
  • When your drinking everyday to get drunk
  • When you aren't aware of your limitations
  • Walking alone while drunk or after you were drinking
  • When you use it for emotional help or otherwise

These are some examples I given a few simpler examples. On TeenHelp we have a Hotlines sections full of contact information and if you have any other questions, feel free to give National Alcohol Helpline a call [0800 917 8282]

Is it possible to see your family doctor? Doctors are a great resource for community support programs and counseling options. When you say,

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sepi_x View Post
I just feel like I need something to numb out my pain and hurt, I just want to feel something different.
It sounds like you're having a hard time dealing with something that are going on. It's important when we feel this way to reach out, which you did here, but also reach out in your community. (I will leave you with a few resources you can take a look at) Have you been feeling this way for a long time now? Drinking alcohol and smoking weed for the emotional side of things, it usually doesn't help in the long run. It may feel like it is helping but it only causes more distress. When someone is going through a really hard time and they use other means to numb out that pain, it means that they're hurting deeply inside.

Let me know if you need someone to talk to or post back.

Take Care.

Hotlines/Resources

Substance Use
  • National Alcohol Helpline- 0800 917 8282
  • FRANK- 0800 77 66 00

Mental Health
  • Mind [UK]- Mind is a national mental health charity in the United Kingdom. They provide a wide variety of services across the UK, such as day centres, as well campaigning on mental health issues.
  • Mind Infoline- 0300 123 3393

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread