TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SherlandMolly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Alcoholic parent - March 23rd 2015, 12:31 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I'm suffering many mental health problems and trying to live with am alcoholic father. He's verbally abusive and it triggers me and makes me want to cut myself and feel as if I deserve the pain. I don't know how to deal anymore. It gets to the point where I want to run away from home. My mum has anxiety as well and that doesn't help and all I want is peace. I just don't know what to do to help myself. I have hobbies and he still yells and disses the things I do. I do well in school and he says I should do perfect, I'm in therapy and I read alateen but it doesn't always help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Staff On Leave

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Alcoholic parent - March 24th 2015, 09:55 AM

Hey there,

I'm so sorry you're going through all this. It can't be easy living with an alcoholic parent. I think one thing you could try is talking to your dad about the way he's treating you and how it makes you feel (preferably when he's not drunk). Let him know that he's hurting you and that you would prefer it if he could be more supportive of you.

If this doesn't work, then I would recommend reminding yourself that you are a great person, no matter what he says. You could get more involved in your hobbies, clubs, and school so that you're at school more and at home less (thus, less contact with your father). And you could try writing out all the things you are thankful for, like your life, your friends, your hobbies, and sticking it somewhere in your room where you will see it every morning. It will help you start your day off positively!

And if you feel urges to self-harm, please seek help either on the hotlines in the resources area of TeenHelp, LiveHelp, or HelpLink!

Hope this helped and feel free to PM me whenever!

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
AdvicePrincess Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Alcoholic parent - March 24th 2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiicloverxx View Post
Hey there,

I'm so sorry you're going through all this. It can't be easy living with an alcoholic parent. I think one thing you could try is talking to your dad about the way he's treating you and how it makes you feel (preferably when he's not drunk). Let him know that he's hurting you and that you would prefer it if he could be more supportive of you.

If this doesn't work, then I would recommend reminding yourself that you are a great person, no matter what he says. You could get more involved in your hobbies, clubs, and school so that you're at school more and at home less (thus, less contact with your father). And you could try writing out all the things you are thankful for, like your life, your friends, your hobbies, and sticking it somewhere in your room where you will see it every morning. It will help you start your day off positively!

And if you feel urges to self-harm, please seek help either on the hotlines in the resources area of TeenHelp, LiveHelp, or HelpLink!

Hope this helped and feel free to PM me whenever!

Kyra
I agree with the above post. My recommendation would be to get out as soon as possible. You can develop a much healthier relationship with your parents when you no longer live with them. My relationship with my parents was awful until I moved out. Now it's so much better. However if you are underage (under 18) keep reminding yourself that you will be out of there soon. That is what got me through a lot of awful times with my parents. And it's great that you are in therapy, but school and therapy cannot fix your living situation. Unfortunately you always have to go home. Maybe spend more time at school, join a club, get a part-time job, do something to try to stay away from the unhealthy living situation at home. And when you are there and you have to deal with it, remind yourself that your parents are sick and they are doing the best they can. Probably a lot of what they say that hurts is when they are the most sick. And yes, keep reminding yourself that you are doing the best you can do. Hang in there.

~AdvicePrincess~

Closed Thread