TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NeylBeydg99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Bad drinking - March 26th 2015, 09:03 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Drinking is the only thing that helps me alleviate the pain that I feel turns out it will only intense my depression and anxiety. Now I've been wanting to quit drinking but I can't help but drink more. It gives me much guilt whenever I wont. I really want to change my life and get more productive living. As reality hits me, I'm reading through alcohol treatment online right now, finding how would I break this addiction. I wanted to visit my parents in CA and asked for help. I always lie on them but now I'm longing for their care. Please help me end this suffering.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Bad drinking - March 27th 2015, 12:55 AM

Hey there. I was having the same problem not even a year ago. I have always had anxiety issues and feelings of inadequecy, as well as an excessive trait- this caused me to drink a lot. I was drinking a lot and when I wanted to stop drinking as much- I still ended up getting smashed.Id try to taper down because I began to be concerned Id go through alcohol withdrawl- but ended up just drinking even more. Whenever I felt anxious, depressed, sad or embarrassed- I would drink. I was drinking a lot everyday and lied to my parents about the 20 dollar a day gas station bills when I don't have a car.

Well, I finally stopped when I had to stop. I went a really bad drinking bender w/ cheap bottles of vodka and fortified wine and one day woke up really sick because I was having a pancreatitis attack from the drinking. I had to go to the hospital.

I returned to my parents house after this- where I stopped drinking completely. Now when I do drink, I don't feel the same urge to drink a lot like I used to and I am hoping that I will be able to maintain moderate drinking- without having to join a complete abstinence program like AA, or worse yet, rehab. One thing that keeps me from drinking excessively again is that I don't want to risk having to go to the hospital again.

There is a group called Moderation Management (MM) that is an alternative to AA. Its worth looking up-even if you don't go to any of their meetings ( i didnt). It is recommended to not drink at all for at least 30 days before trying to moderate. This is to get out of the habit and mindset that compels you to keep drinking more and more when you do drink. Then gradually start drinking moderately- but avoiding "triggering "
situations. Which may mean avoiding bars or avoiding drinking alone - for now. The 30 day abstinence period will allow you time to get back on your feet and learn to cope with things without alcohol. You have to be strongly committed to not relapsing if you are going to moderate.

If when you quit, you begin to experience signs of acute withdrawl- such as shaky hands or a fast heartbeat- you need to taper off and not go cold turkey. It is best not to fight through withdrawl -because it can cause seizures. This page will help tell you an estimate of how much drinking is required to experience withdrawl , as well as how to taper off from drinking: http://www.hamsnetwork.org/odds/

If you want to ask me for any advice, you are free to PM me. Good luck

Last edited by Proud90sKid; March 27th 2015 at 07:54 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NeylBeydg99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bad drinking - March 28th 2015, 08:16 AM

Thank you for your reply. I don't like to go at the hospital too. I'm bringing up my courage to tell my parents. I will go home this April. Been not drinking for two days. And it gives me chills and headache a lot.

I will read more about your suggestion.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Will35 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bad drinking - March 30th 2015, 05:30 AM

Don't lose hope Neil. There's still a chance for you to be sober.. Take all your willpower to confess everything to your parents, it will definitely give you a relief. Don't go for cold turkey.. many times it isn't the best way to quit. Maybe lessen your drink first. More than hope, asking medical assistance or treatment rehab services can guide and teach you ways to break from your addictive pattern. Goodluck!

Closed Thread