TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ridiculousness Offline
Average Joe

Problem with smoking. - May 12th 2009, 07:19 AM

Okay, so i've been smoking since 12, and I never thought It would become a problem. So my parents have caught me countless times within the past couple of months (they smoke themselves, 1-2 packs a day), and I'm getting grounded so much because of it, but I CAN'T quit. It's like i'm so dependant on having a cigarette. When I have a craving, they DON'T go away, I get mean, snappy, and unstable. I also have a problem with migraines, and it's seemed to have amplified when I haven't had one. I really want to quit so i don't disapoint my parents, but It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do...The only thing that got me to quit smoking was being on Wellbutrin and I won't dream of going back on that pill because of the terrible side effects. I've heard all the tips to help quit smoking, but i haven't found one that helps. Any ideas? :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous19 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Problem with smoking. - May 12th 2009, 12:53 PM

The patch works real well if you can get past the three day hump. A guy I work with use to smoke 2 packs a day and he went with the gum + the patch and he hasn't touched a cigarette since.

---------------

"You never give into the pain, you just adjust to it!"--unknown

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Problem with smoking. - May 12th 2009, 01:54 PM

Hi Emilie.

I, at the moment, am struggling with quitting. I gave up a bit last year. But my mum & dad still think I am a non smoker....they dont know I re-started.

Anyway...I chew gum, whenever I get a craving I either chew a flavoured chewing gum or suck a sweet, cherry drops are really good.

So, the whole sweet/gum case is worth a try.

You could also ask your parents to hide the cigarettes, maybe in a locked drawer or something. - To stop you from getting hold of them.

Hope quitting goes well

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Problem with smoking. - May 12th 2009, 04:24 PM

When you are trying to do something difficult like quit smoking it is important to find something that motivates you. A good friend of mine quit smoking so he could live longer and be there for his children. Since quitting he hasn't smoked in just about two years. It might be a good idea to suggest that this become a family effort and your whole tries to quit together. When you suggest the idea to your parents it might be a good idea to stress a few reasons to quit including health reasons, financial reasons, and the fact that a group effort with really help support you. I wish you the best of luck in trying to quit. It won't be easy but it is possible and you can do it. Take care and good luck.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ridiculousness Offline
Average Joe

Re: Problem with smoking. - May 12th 2009, 11:21 PM

That's just it, I know the threat of lung cancer is very real, I mean, the thought of dying that way should be motivation enough!...but it doesn't stop me from smoking. It's horrible!

I asked my parents to hide the cigarettes but they used the whole "i'm an adult, I won't change my smoking habits just cause my teenage daughter started" excuse. >:\ Everyday they say they're going to quit today, tomorrow or in a week. I've heard that for years. Maybe they'll actually try soon.

I've been trying to distract myself. Good news? I haven't had one all day...hopefully I can last a few more hours x_x I've been through soooo many lollipops today...those seem to satisfy the oral fixation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Problem with smoking. - May 13th 2009, 07:16 AM

Distracting yourself is great! It might help to write a list of all the things you like doing so if you get an urge to smoke you can keep doing everything on the list until your urge goes away. Also, having someone you can talk to anytime you feel like smoking could help you. If your family won't quit with you then if you have any friends who smoke you could try asking them to give it up with you. Relying on each other and making it a group effort could be really helpful. Finding motivation can be hard. If you won't give it up for your own health then think about all the people you love (make a list if that helps) and imagine them losing you to something as awful as cancer. You are strong enough beat this.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread