TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thehappyhippie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Is it dangerous to try shrooms for the first time while taking Zoloft and ability? - August 27th 2015, 10:33 PM

So I've been on abilify (5 mg) and Zoloft (100 mg) for a few weeks now. I've been doing so great on it. I was diagnosed with OCD, GAD, PTSD, and bipolar unspecified, but my anxiety has went down dramatically and I'm much happier now. Problem is, I very badly wanna try mushrooms. I've had so many people tell me it's a wonderful experience and that it's changed they're lives for the better. I'm a very spiritual person and I wanna experience god and his love. And I wanna sort through some of my problems while on mushrooms. Problem is I can't find a clear answer on whether or not it's good to take shrooms while on abilify and Zoloft. I'm afraid of having psychosis and permanent brain damage. and I'm afraid of having a bad trip. if I do end up taking the mushrooms it will be at a very small dose so I can see how I feel on it. So is it safe?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is it dangerous to try shrooms for the first time while taking Zoloft and ability? - August 28th 2015, 01:25 AM

We cannot advocate the use of drugs here, so we cannot tell you to try them. On a personal note though, I highly do not recommend taking drugs. My ex boyfriend got me into them and I did them for two years and it is one of my biggest regrets. Yeah, you can have fun but it really isn't safe especially if you are taking psychiatric medication. There are other ways to feel spiritual and closer to God. Go on a hike and reach the top of the hill and just bask in the scenery. Listen to chillwave music and make art. Psychedelics can be mentally addicting and you really don't want to get absorbed in that, nor do you want to spend lots of money on it. If you're doing well, then it's best to stay healthy and clean from drugs, they can really affect your mood in a negative way even after you've come down from them.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Is it dangerous to try shrooms for the first time while taking Zoloft and ability? - August 28th 2015, 03:38 AM

I don't know about dangerous- -but your trip is probably going to be affected by those meds. Both of those meds are known to decrease the intensity of a trip. Especially abilify, which is an antipsychotic- will make it hard to trip. Abilify blocks the same receptor that psilocybin acts on - so would directly decrease the effect of the shrooms. They even administer anti-psych drugs in the hospital to end bad trips- so Abilify would definitely have some effect.

While I don't think you would die or have brain damage, I think your trip would be reduced and altered by the medications. Its possible for anyone to have a bad trip on shrooms- as they can be very intense, and its intensity can provoke anxiety and panic attacks in some people. But this risk is minimized with a low dose.

You definitely shouldn't just stop taking the meds suddenly so you can trip either. Because the withdrawal from these medications cause temporary chemical imbalance within the brain that probably wouldn't mix well with tripping.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thehappyhippie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it dangerous to try shrooms for the first time while taking Zoloft and ability? - August 28th 2015, 03:43 AM

Okay well that's good. Now I'm just worried about the long term effects after I come down on them. I don't wanna have another load of anxiety problems

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Is it dangerous to try shrooms for the first time while taking Zoloft and ability? - August 28th 2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippie View Post
Okay well that's good. Now I'm just worried about the long term effects after I come down on them. I don't wanna have another load of anxiety problems
Well for me- I only had anxiety after a trip once. And that was only because I was overthinking the "spiritual revelations" that I had received. I took way too high dose that time (which was my first) and my mind just didn't know what to think of such an intense mystical experience. It seemed like I was being instructed to change the way to live my life- but I wanted to remain the same- so this conflict caused anxiety for a few weeks.

Closed Thread