TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Frequent marijuana use - September 7th 2015, 01:55 AM

At college, my roommate moved in and literally smokes everyday. Not a day off yet. Anyway, I've smoked with him at least half that time and find it quite enjoyable, but it will kill my productivity if I keep doing it. Thats not really the important part though... I'm worried I could get addicted, because I have a really addictive personality. Not just that, but too much of a good thing (or a bad thing) is obviously bad for me... Anyway, say I smoke for about half the semester. What kind of ill health effects would I probably be looking at?
We vape, not smoke. Its better for you, even if it still isn't great.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Frequent marijuana use - September 7th 2015, 03:10 AM

You won't be looking at any real health effects. I smoked pretty much all through college and I don't think it messed with anything in my body.

Its hardly addictive at all. I mean you do feel a little different when you suddenly stop - but its hardly even noticeable. Like your appetite and sleep isn't as good for a couple days, and that's it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Frequent marijuana use - September 7th 2015, 06:34 PM

Considering it is illegal at your age, I recommend you stop smoking. Not to mention you're at college to study and drug use of any kind is not a good idea.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Frequent marijuana use - September 14th 2015, 04:52 PM

First of all I want to point out that I'm not encouraging drug use at all but if you're going to do it anyway I doubt there's anything I can say that would convince you otherwise.

As you're vaping it you're right in saying the health effects of it are reduced such as some of the carcinogens and toxins that can be produced by smoke so I don't think you're too much at risk there. However, there's been a few studies that show cannabis usage during teenage years can increase the risk of mental health issues. Often the people who develop these mental health issues are usually predisposed to them anyway but the cannabis causes early onset. On the other hand there's been other studies that have disagreed with these results so it's not conclusive.

I enjoy vaping every so often but I agree that if I've been doing it a lot there's a noticeable decrease in my productivity and motivation to do things so I think if you were to vape quite a lot this could significantly affect your college work. Also, I assume your college does have rules about drug use so you should keep that in mind when deciding to use cannabis in any way.

Cannabis generally doesn't lead to addiction so it's very unlikely that'll be the case with you BUT I kind of loosely view it in the same way as chocolate. Chocolate's generally not addictive but it tastes so good that sometimes you want to eat it everyday even though that's not healthy for you.

I'd just suggest being careful of your usage of it and if you find your work is suffering then take a break from it for a month or two.

Closed Thread