TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
M.J. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

cigarettes - October 1st 2015, 05:42 AM

idk when but i snuck a cigarette from my mom then lit it then took in a few puffs(idk what word to use for 'puffs') the weird thing is i didnt cough or anything right away. its like ive been doing it for a while. this was my first time. but now i kinda wanna do it again. maybe like 18% out of 100% i want to. this normal? im not gonna do it again. well.. i dont want to.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ninasju Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nina

Re: cigarettes - October 1st 2015, 09:38 AM

Hey! I'm a smoker. I was addicted like before my first cigarette (I've always loved the smell and stuff like that)
I'm sure you've heard all the warnings but just in case I'll just write the consequences (lung damage, breathing issues, worse skin, it's really expensive, addiction, dangerous for internal organs etc etc)
Smoking has helped me with my anxiety a lot, but I would never recommend smoking to someone else because of how dangerous it is

But ANYWAY, I can relate to the feeling that you're already used to it and stuff... So yeah, I think that can be called normal

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Onism. Offline
It was so easy.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: cigarettes - October 1st 2015, 12:26 PM

Hey,

I'm moving this over to Substance Use because it fits there more. Cigarettes would go under the category of substances.

Yeah, when I tried a few puffs of a cigarette I didn't cough or anything either. Some people are just like that I guess. But I do think that it is normal to be curious and feel like you want to experiment sometimes. People do wonder what things like smoking are like and may want to try it a few times to figure out what it's like, but I definitely don't recommend it.

That being said, I'm glad that you don't want to try smoking again, because even a few puffs can become a slippery slope very quickly as you start to get addicted to the smoking, and then you put yourself at risk to all of the consequences Nina mentioned, and more. It's really not worth starting, because then if you do become addicted it is so hard to stop, and you don't deserve that. You also don't deserve to go through cravings or withdrawal.

If the urges to try again get too strong maybe you can do something like take a walk or do something distracting that takes up time, until the urge fades.

Take care,
Dez

It's like forgetting the words to your favorite song
You can't believe it
You were always singing along

Send a message via Yahoo to Onism. Send a message via Skype™ to Onism. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: cigarettes - October 1st 2015, 04:36 PM

Hi there that temptation and wanting to experiment with substances (in this case cigarettes) is normal, but you really want to watch out. I tried my first (and last) cigarette when I was thirteen because most of my friends were smokers, and I was curious. Luckily I didn't like it.
Since you seem to be reaching for more, I would urge you to break this habit straight away. Even if you think that you'll just have a ciggy "once in a while", this is the path that eventually leads to full-time smoking. Smoking cigarettes creates a ton of problems; some of them I have listed below:
- poor vision
- anxiety and irritability
- coughing
- more prone to colds and flus
- more prone to lung cancer
- more prone to bronchitis
- constricted blood vessels
- too much clotting
- yellow fingers
- more prone to heart disease
- stained teeth
- wrinkly skin
- smelly hair
- more prone to cancer
- complicates diabetes
- can lead to infertility
- much more!!!

All of my friends who were smokers started very young, some of them even youger than you, because of curiosity and availability. They have all tried to stop at least once, most of them not succeeding. Only one of my friends (they were a group of ten) managed to stop.
I strongly urge you to stop now, even if you tell yourself that "just one won't do me any harm", because it will. And I know that once you've started, it's so, so hard to stop, so you should nip it in the bud now. I can assure you that if you do pursue this routine, your smokes will become more and more frequent, until before you know it you're a full-on smoker, and I can guarantee you that there is not one cigarette smoker who is 100% happy to be a smoker, and most of them wish they never tried it.

Take care,

Skye.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: cigarettes - October 1st 2015, 05:04 PM

Hi there!

I'm so glad to hear that you do not want to smoke another cigarette. It's not good for you!

I was a smoker for a long time, and I finally quit. I still have cigarettes every once in a while, but nothing like it used to be. I am working on quitting it for good. When I first started smoking, I didn't really cough or anything. It just came natural to me, but I think that's because I watched my parents and grandparents smoke for years prior to me trying one.

It's normal to be curious, but put the health risks in front of the cigarette and realize it's not good for your body, especially at your age.

I'm around if you want to talk about this!

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#6 (permalink)) Old
RyDoon3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: cigarettes - October 1st 2015, 06:11 PM

Hello

It is considered normal wanting to experiment with substances especially at your age and mine. When I first tried smoking I was around age 10/11 and I didn't cough which surprised me. Sometimes I smoke whenever I come across a pack of cigarettes. Although, I'm not planning on becoming a smoker because I know the effects of smoking. Again, it's okay wanting to experiment with cigarettes or any other substances but don't take it too far and I bet your parents won't be happy if they discover that you smoke. Take care of your body you are too young to be a chronical smoker.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: cigarettes - October 3rd 2015, 04:56 AM

Not a good idea. I honestly don't know what else you expected to hear on this site, smoking is absolutely terrible for you. And given that you're 12 (!!?!?!?!) its especially bad for your developing body and brain.
I'm sure that almost anyone you know knows somebody else who died partially as a result from smoking, or someone with a parent or grandparent who died. The good thing is, smoking isn't considered cool or popular anymore.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread