TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Exclamation It was my 21st.... - October 7th 2015, 03:38 AM

birthday and I got really drunk. We bar hopped and my brother decided to give me adderall while drinking alcohol. I'm not sure who I am anymore. I thought maybe it was ibuprofen but it was much worse. I drank alcohol with adderall. I worked as 12 hour shift, went to the bar with friends to party, didn't come home until 3 am and was awake all night with my heart beating fast. I could feel it. I'm not sure if I was nervous or if it was the pill affecting me. Even after all that, I was awake all night long tossing and turning. What do you think the pill did to my body and what should I do about my brother who slipped a drug on me while I was drunk? Should I tell my father? I'm not addicted in any way, shape, or form. I know for a fact I can't trust myself drinking around him because I was surprised I didn't overdose. It was a small cut piece of adderall but I think my body overreacted. What do I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: It was my 21st.... - October 7th 2015, 04:16 AM

Hey Sam,

I think you should do two things: 1) tell your father what happened and 2) talk to your brother. You need to make it clear to him that what he did was completely unacceptable and that you were not in the right frame of mind to consent to taking Adderall (or anything else for that matter). You should tell him how you're feeling and explain to him that you'll never trust drinking with him again.

I'm not sure about the effects of Adderall after the fact, but I think as long as you don't take it again you should be fine. It sounds like you had a pretty normal reaction to it since you weren't prescribed it. Normally, people get really bounced up on it and do not calm down for hours after the fact. What you experienced was a normal reaction to a foreign pill (on top of the alcohol).

But, yeah, talk to both of them. It's important that it's talked about.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: It was my 21st.... - October 9th 2015, 02:51 AM

I was prescribed Adderall for ADHD.

You should be fine. Adderall is an amphetamine and acts as a stimulant. You have never taken it before so your tolerance to it was low. While Adderall is designed to increase attention span in ADHD, it acts on neurotransmitters that influence mood- dopamine and norepinephrine. So taking it can have an affect on how you feel as well as how alert you are. Taking it can make you feel a sense of euphoria and energy , but this usually is followed by an anxious comedown.

You weren't in any risk of overdose. Adderall pills contain a relatively low, therapeutic dose of amphetamine- so you'd need to take several pills to be in danger. But since its a stimulant, its common to get the side effects that you describe- racing heart, anxiety, and sleeplessness. Since you have never taken it before, it would be unusual if you were able to go to sleep on it.

Tell your brother that its not good to give someone something without their permission or knowledge and not to do it again. Since he is your brother, and not just some random guy- he did not really mean any harm by it and probably won't do it again.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: It was my 21st.... - October 9th 2015, 06:03 AM

if you do not have ADD or ADHD adderal is considered speed. In ADD/ADHD people it calms them and makes them concentrate but on a regular person it makes them hyper. Taking Adderal was a really bad idea even if you weren't drinking alcohol. I would tell your dad what happened and tell your brother that what he did was NOT okay. I highly suggest staying away from it.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread