TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Drinking at a young age - December 6th 2015, 06:55 PM

I only drink wine coolers which is a flavored beer. I dont drink occasionally. Only when im at my mons house because I would get into trouble if my grandma was to find out. I live with her and she would absolutely flip out. But my question is is this okay? I'm only 17.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 6th 2015, 07:14 PM

Let me start off by asking do you have an urge to drink? Or is it strictly for pleasure? If it was habitual I would think you'd probably be drinking something that's a little stiffer than wine coolers.
It's hard to condone underage drinking. It's important to remember if you're caught by police you will lose or be unable to get your drivers license until you're 21. You're mother could also be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 6th 2015, 07:18 PM

I don't have an urge. Its just for pleasure

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 6th 2015, 07:56 PM

Underage drinking is illegal for a reason. It causes a lot of problems, both physically and emotionally. Even though you're drinking for pleasure, it can take a toll on you and you might develop urges to drink when you're upset. I started out drinking wine coolers when I was younger, around 15, and then I ended up sneaking alcohol until I was around 19. I was bordering on the line of becoming an alcoholic. I got sober, and now that I'm 22, I drink and I have boundaries.

I honestly suggest you wait until you are of age.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 6th 2015, 08:07 PM

[Edited] You can even legally drink like that is loads of countries.

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; December 6th 2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Commented removed due to Mature and Sentive Content Policy in our CoC

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 6th 2015, 10:18 PM

Hello Ashley,

Drink alcohol at a young age is harmful because you are still developing your organs, they are still growing. At the age of 17 and living in the United States, the legal age to drink is 21. There's many reasons as to why the age is this, some of the reasons could be:
  • Safety
  • Maturity
  • Development
  • Early onset of addiction
  • etc.,
These are some that come to mind. I do understand your point of view for drinking. A lot of people can argue that a parent letting there child drink wine at the dinner table during Christmas is fine, other argue that it isn't okay. Drinking alcohol and a lot of it or more frequently can affect you and it is illegal at your age to drink.

The laws are in place to protect vulnerable people.

I wanted to clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ. View Post
[Edited] You can even legally drink like that is loads of countries.
Every Country has their own laws around the drinking age, we need to follow those laws in each Country. For instance, in Canada it is legal to drink at 19, however in Quebec the legal age to drink is 18. In the United States the legal age to drink alcohol is 21.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions please let us know.

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 7th 2015, 03:48 AM

Well there is a risk of minor legal problems. In many states, its a misdemeanor to drink underage. But that said- as long as you are drinking at safe levels and not driving while drunk- I don't really see why it would be any more harmful than drinking at age 18 (the legal drinking age in most of the world (US is one of the few countries with such an absurdly high drinking age))- since 17 is so close to that.

There are reasons why the drinking age is 21 in the US- in that people at a younger age statistically have more issues with it- but that does not mean it is across the board true at all. Other countries seem to do fine with a drinking age of 18 or even younger. You are pretty close to being a legal adult so I'd say that there won't be any real difference in how it affects your body compared to someone older- but there could still be minor legal consequences if you are caught. Many states also use a lower blood alcohol cutoff for people underage when it comes to getting a DUI- so keep that in mind if you want to be absolutely safe-that if you are under the legal age , you shouldn't drive with any alcohol in your system at all.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 8th 2015, 05:58 PM

Well, it really depends on how regularly you drink. If it's only once in a while I don't think there is that much of a problem. If it becomes a habit (and drinking once a week every week is a habbit too) then it is a problem.

About the las stuff... well just keep in mind, that these laws are there for a reason. They just want to protect you. Sure some people can drink safely with 15 others shouldn't ever drink even if they are 30. It really depends on the person and noone can tell, if this is dangerous to you or not. Just yourself. So if you feel unsure, then don't drink.
Or, if you want to make sure it's ok, quit drinking. Because it shouldn't be a problem and if it is a problem, well then you have a problem....
Ok, I hope I#m making some sense right now and.... yeah ^^

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 8th 2015, 07:58 PM

There is no good reason to drink underage. There just isn't. It's not worth getting in trouble over. Not only could you get into legal trouble, but so would your mom, for supplying alcohol to a minor. This would lead to social services getting involved and your mother would not only have to serve jail time, but be evaluated to see if she is a fit mother. Does this at all sound like it's worth drinking a few wine coolers over? There are plenty of ways to relax at the end of a long day that will not lead to legal trouble.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 9th 2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
There is no good reason to drink underage. There just isn't. It's not worth getting in trouble over. Not only could you get into legal trouble, but so would your mom, for supplying alcohol to a minor. This would lead to social services getting involved and your mother would not only have to serve jail time, but be evaluated to see if she is a fit mother. Does this at all sound like it's worth drinking a few wine coolers over? There are plenty of ways to relax at the end of a long day that will not lead to legal trouble.

This. Depending on the state you are in they are really strict about this. My aunt was caught giving minors alcohol and I believe she had to do some time in jail and then she also had to do more time on probation. I don't think you want that to happen to your mom. It might seem like fun drinking and all that but it's better to wait until you are of age.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#11 (permalink)) Old
vA04 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Drinking at a young age - December 12th 2015, 08:15 AM

You're still developing at that age. I think a few sips is okay (I use to drink with my parents on special occasion) but don't make it a habit. It does effect your health a lot more than teenagers seem to believe. Think of the long term effects ya know

Closed Thread