TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Delusional Optimist.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tristan

Ugh drunk stuff - December 15th 2015, 05:43 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

If your way to deal with things is drinking until you can't feel anything ever.....how do you deal with anything I'm so drunk posting this but realizing I can't do this forever.....I dunno guys

Making a final judgement
Based on your bias will never bring you forward.
Terror should never guide you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Ugh drunk stuff - December 15th 2015, 11:20 AM

Hello Tristan,

When we want to not feel anything we try to do that, but usually that only hurts us in the long run and not to the root of the problem. It sounds a lot of things are going on for you and you want to not feel those. When we feel down and out of sorts and want an escape, the escape only lasts for so long. I am sure you may be waking up with a hangover or feeling ill. You most likely don't want to go through the ordeal again but you do.

When you are under the influence of alcohol our nervous system shuts down but we can feel sick and tired. The lasting effects of it, isn't beneficial in the long run.

I'm not sure what is going on to cause so much pain but do you see a counselor at all? It's important to be able to talk about what is going on for you with a professional, they can help you with coping skills, talking about those hard feelings, why you want to numb out what is going on for you, etc. I know we spoke in the Chat Room over the weekend and I would like to provide some resources that I know that I think would be beneficial for you.

It's great that you are in Canada because I know a lot of resources and how to search and look for the help you need. Now, taking a look at our Hotlines Page and Resource Page here on TeenHelp, I can list a few that you can use.

Hotlines for Canada:
Kids’ Help Phone: 1800 668 6868
(I've personally used Kids' Help Phone and they are amazing. Give them a call. )

I can't remember if you said you were in Ontario but if you dial 2-1-1 anywhere in Ontario you can ask for resources in your community, they have a database and referral service.

Resources:
Mindyourmind
Mindyourmind provides and maintains an extensive amount of articles, videos, and resources for those struggling with mental illnesses.
(They are based in London, ON. amazing website and amazing articles and resources)

StressingOut
StressingOut is a website about the consequences of long-term stress and the impact it has on your life and wider mental health, including depression, anxiety and poor self-esteem. The website contains a number of good articles as well as a downloadable eBook about tackling everyday stressors.

These are just a few that you can look into for now. I don't want to bombard you with all kinds of information, let me know if you need something else and I will gladly help.

Drinking is harmful on the body at age 17 because many of your organs are still growing and developing. That is why the legal age to drink is 19 (18 in Quebec) in Canada.

I hope this was helpful and if you need anything please let us know.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Ugh drunk stuff - December 20th 2015, 07:48 AM

Hey, Tristan.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this but it's great that you decided to reach out here for help. Atropes provided a lot of helpful information including hotlines and how drinking alcohol can be damaging. I just wanted to add a few things I hope may help.

The fact that you recognize you can't continue drinking forever is a great step. You've realized you can't always rely on it, but I imagine that doesn't make it much easier to give up alcohol. My advice is to build up your coping skills. Include healthier emotional outlets in your life that allow you to express yourself and find enjoyment, then slowly reduce how much you drink by turning to healthier coping mechanisms instead when you are feeling low.

Is there anything you can do when you feel low and have urges to drink? You might find it helpful to go for walks, read, or play a video game to process your thoughts safely. Figuring out ways to cope by finding a balance of distraction and outlets is important. Alcohol won't fix a situation, but likely worsen it instead. Are there any hobbies that allow you to express yourself? Such as learning a musical instrument, creative writing or journaling for example.

Reminding yourself of the benefits of staying sober can give you motivation. How about starting your own list? You can include the obvious ones such as not having to worry about causing damage to your organs, causing medical conditions, hangovers, and the fact that it can actually worsen how you feel despite resorting to it to escape. Then you can add personal reasons because it may affect other aspects of your life such as school, relationships, events etc.

Becoming sober likely won't be easy especially since you have depended on alcohol to help you feel better. The thing is, I believe it'll help you a lot more in the end even if it feels like it's only affecting you negatively right at first. A lot of people feel better emotionally and physically a little while after no alcohol. Plus, you can focus on other things in your life such as school, relationships and personal hobbies. Focus on having fun in ways that don't harm you. Find ways to be kind to yourself.

Hope this helps a bit. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know if you need anything!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Ugh drunk stuff - December 25th 2015, 04:48 PM

Hello Tristan!

I do think that Atropos and Nala gave some extremely good advice.. and I'm going to try to add to what they said. You could take up diary-writing and book reading.. because both of those are calming habits that will allow you to slowly accept the situation, as well as help to offer you an outlet to relax, and let you relax peacefully while you think about stuff. Most of all, these two methods really won't make you feel wonky in the morning, and there's certainly better ways to experience the early hours of the day.

I also think that sports and joining groups and societies are good alternatives to alcohol, as those allow you to experience new things , as well as exchange opinions and ideas on a wide variety of subjects. These will certainly help you get over the addiction, as you're now going to have more options, more alternatives to turn to whenever you're feeling down.

Aural entertainment or solace can help, too. There's calming , instrumental music that'll help you to enjoy your day or calm down after a riveting experience. Music is almost as varied as people.. there's literally a song for every situation you're dealing with. And plenty of songs will serve to remind you that no matter what happens or what you're dealing with.. there's going to be a way to overcome and beat the situation.

Most of all, if you believe that you can beat the addiction, you will beat the addiction. Think positively, don't look back and tell yourself " This challenge ain't half bad, but it ain't got nothing on Tristan's willpower" in your mind. You'll know that on the inside, you're much stronger than you think you are.

You got this And you'll beat this. All of us are in this boat together with you! talk to us anytime!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Delusional Optimist.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tristan

Re: Ugh drunk stuff - January 8th 2016, 01:14 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted you guys to know I've made the commitment to keep myself away from alcohol for the next while...at least. It's been 8 days and I feel weird but happy. I wanted to post here because I wanted to let you guys know that I've returned to this thread whenever I was feeling down to take in your amazing supportive words and suggestions. Thank you so much for caring enough to help me make a change in my life

Making a final judgement
Based on your bias will never bring you forward.
Terror should never guide you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Ugh drunk stuff - January 8th 2016, 03:52 PM

you're welcome and remember that you'll always have our support! We got your back!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Ugh drunk stuff - January 9th 2016, 06:41 AM

I didn't post on this before, but I just wanted to say that I am proud of you that you have managed to go 8 days without drinking. That is amazing. If you ever need anymore support, don't forget we are here to help.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

Closed Thread