TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
undeleted1 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: No one

Drinking almost everyday - December 18th 2015, 07:29 PM

Hello. I've been drinking regularly for over two years now. It's really the only method I have to cope with some of the problems that I have. My drinking hasn't gotten out of control, but I'm constantly thinking about drinking, even when I'm not. I also have other addictions to go with my drinking as well.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Re: Drinking almost everyday - December 18th 2015, 08:13 PM

substance abuse isn't a way of dealing with problems, it's a way of putting them off until youre sober. The cycle just continues if you tell yourself that's your only relief.
I guess everyone's definition of "out of control" is a little different but it sounds like it's quickly headed in that direction.

To break bad habits you have to replace them with positive, more fulfilling ones
When I was getting clean I had a couple friends I would call if I was about to break down.
There isn't anything easy about quitting addictive substances, but you have to want to before anyone can do any good for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Drinking almost everyday - December 18th 2015, 08:18 PM

Hello Ryan,

I think it is great that you are able to express that you only have drinking as a coping skill because that's the only method you do have right now. It doesn't have to be the only coping method that you can use.

I am not sure if you tried counseling or have tried it or currently in counseling, it's helpful to be able to talk to someone about how we are feeling and what is going on. I know it can be hard to talk about what we are struggling with but that is part of how recovery works.

I have a few idea's that might be helpful and I know not all them will work for you or that you feel comfortable trying or doing, which is okay. This is all about what is comfortable to you.

1) Does listening to music help you? If you enjoy music you can listen to some relaxation music, some are in nature, ocean, spa, or upbeat music. The purpose of the music is to ground you and calm you.

If you enjoy music you can also listen to your favorite bands or play an instrument as an outlet.

2) Doing something physical. It can be something simple like cleaning a part of your home or space. This allows you to be physically moving and you are focused on what needs to be cleaned. Usually your mind is directed to something else. Once you have finished cleaning an area, admire what you have done, focus on how it makes you feel. If that is feeling amazing, great, calm, good, etc.,

You can also go for a walk (I know winter is coming and the temperature will get colder but try to get outside as much as you can) and look at what is around you, if that is cars, trees, grass/snow/ice, any animals, etc., this can ground you and you are getting fresh air.

3) A hobby. I found hobbies are a great way for an outlet. Playing video games is a hobby and it's simple (play a game that is fun and relaxing), you can draw or colour (the adult therapy colouring books are very helpful), sew, make a craft, read, play a sport, play board games or cards games, etc., these are all ways to use for coping skills.

These are a few that are simple that you could do. There is more coping focus skills that you can use as well. Those are:
  • Breathing exercises/deep breathing
  • Exercise
  • Journaling
  • Grounding exercises and visualization exercises
  • Mediation
  • etc.
I'm not sure if you are interested in checking out Mindyoumind, but they have great ways to cope with additions and many other things, they also have articles and resources.

Mindyourmind
Mindyourmind provides and maintains an extensive amount of articles, videos, and resources for those struggling with mental illnesses.

I am not sure if you have talked with your family doctor about your struggles with addictions but I would recommend talk with them about any supports they can refer you to. I know there's many support groups for addictions and individual as well. I am not sure if you are open to that idea, but it's worth checking out.

I know the Holidays are almost here and I want you to know that you aren't alone. I will be around for Christmas during the day and will be in the Chat Room if you needed to talk.

I know this is really long but I wanted to give as much support as I can, I do hope this is helpful, if the coping skills that I mentioned isn't something you were looking for let me know. I do hope you try at least one of them, or something from Mindyoumind.

If you need anything let us know.
Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
undeleted1 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: No one

Re: Drinking almost everyday - December 18th 2015, 08:32 PM

I don't have any friends so I can't talk to anyone about it. My family would probably tell me to go to hell or sure as hell make me feel worse if I tried to reach out to them. My parents wouldn't help either, just put blame on each other. Video games and music has helped me, but it doesn't always. I think the constant reminder of being alone, especially during the holidays, takes a huge toll on me. I feel like my mind or mentality changes on a dime when I feel lonely. I can become very angry, often swearing when no one is around. I don't really know how to explain it, it's just when I feel alone, I get angry and I don't think it's because of the alcohol either.

I know what I would like, but I can't even get that. I might as well be wishing for the moon, at least then I know that I can't have it and wouldn't be bothered by it. My expectations are not high either. I don't look to become famous or rich, I just want to be able to enjoy life. But I'm not enjoying life nor can I obtain anything that would make me feel better.

Until things change I don't see changing my habits with alcohol is suddenly going to make those feeling go away. Maybe if something good happened to me then I might be able to pull myself out of this.

Closed Thread