TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kayiatia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Drinking problem? - October 4th 2016, 05:56 PM

I started drinking when I was 13 and in the 8th grade. Im not a bad kid... i get good grades and im really athletic I just cant help myself. I got caught drinking and said it wouldnt happen again. Fast forward 5 months later I earned my moms trust back and she let me go to a sleepover and I drank half a bottle of vodka and ended up going to the hospital for alcohol poising. My mom didnt trust me for quite a while after that. As i started freshmen year I was doing okay until yesterday my friend had some vodka and I drank almost 5 shots and went to waterpolo practice after. Ive messed up really bad and ended up getting caught by the coaches and my mom. I want to get better but I dont know how. Ive been caught drinking four times now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Drinking problem? - October 4th 2016, 11:36 PM

Hey there and welcome to Teenhelp!

Thank you for reaching out here.

I am so sorry to hear that you're struggling with drinking and have been since you were 13. It is good that you've been trying to stop. The first step to recovery is admitting you are struggling and you've done that. It sounds though, that while your mother is there to gain back your trust or lose your trust, she isn't doing much to help you during this process. It's not easy recovering from this, and doing it all alone and at your age is all the more difficult! You're not alone in this, and Teenhelp will support you the best we can. But I am also wondering if you can reach out to a trust adult such as a counselor at school, a friend's parent or if you feel comfortable enough speaking to your mom about having her support you through this.

I am also seeing that your friends have been drinking too and I know how easy it is to fall into pressure when everyone else around you is doing it. Are any of your friends willing to hang out with you without having alcohol involved?

I dont know how it works with people under the age of 21, as that's the legal drinking age but there are support groups and networks out there. Maybe you can do a search online to see if there are any support groups in your local area regarding substance use, or general mental health.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Drinking problem? - October 6th 2016, 06:49 PM

Hey there,

I think the main question you need to ask yourself is 'are you drinking because you want to or are you drinking because you need to?' If you're drinking because you need to, then I definitely think that you may have a problem with alcohol. I think it's important to be able to admit that you have an issue, because that usually means you are ready to get help.

For a long time myself I used alcohol as a coping mechanism, when things got out of control in my life I would depend upon drinking. It took a lot for me to get myself out of that rut, but with help and support and with determination you can do it.

Maybe you could speak to your mum and let her know that you're struggling with drinking and it's something you feel that you need some help for. I think it's important to be open and honest with your loved ones, so that they can help and support you wherever they possibly can.

I wish you the best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Drinking problem? - October 7th 2016, 05:43 PM

Hey

Thanks for coming to us here. I hope we can help in some way.

I want to start bu sharing a bit about me and then try and give you some support and advice.

Okay, so I have mental health problems but when I hit late teens, I became an alcoholic. I didn't know it then but now I do. I always drank vodka. That was my drink. But it got to a point where I was drinking about 5 litres of it a day, until Ii got to a point where I would just pass out. I went on detox twice which meant being on a psychiatric ward and I have had lapses since but not a full blown relapse. I know go to AA meetings on a regular basis and I am four months sober. But going on detox was hard; I never had the therapy for it, just the medication.

If you feel you do have a problem related to alcohol, reach out for help about it now because it will get worse if you don't. And it is a progressive disease. People are out there to support you such as mental health teams and doctors, don't stay in silence. We believe in you and know you can do this but having support to help you through makes it ten times better.

Please contact me if you need any help.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread