TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Justme1234 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cigarettes and smoking - February 27th 2017, 05:22 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been feeling a lot worst lately. And i started hurting and cutting myself but recently i stopped with the cutting and moved to smoking. I know it's not good for your health but it makes me feel better and more comfortable.
I want to stop smoking because I'm afraid to get caught but i also want to keep going because i like it. What should i do ?please help me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Orenda. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: Cigarettes and smoking - February 27th 2017, 11:39 PM

Hey there,

First of all, welcome to TeenHelp!

As someone who has been a smoker for years, I completely understand the conflicting feelings that come with thinking about quitting. While the logical side of you knows that quitting is the better option for a number of reasons, the way nicotine can make you feel makes that easier said than done. Personally, I would recommend quitting sooner rather than later, as it will make the entire process easier.

You mentioned that you're afraid of getting caught. The longer you smoke, the harder it will be for you to avoid getting caught. As you become more dependent on the nicotine, you will likely start feeling the urge to smoke more frequently. Because you're worried about getting caught, that likely means you will have to start making more excuses to go somewhere where you can smoke and, in some instances, cause you to outright lie to people. Smoking more frequently will also cause the smell of cigarettes to linger on your clothes, hair, and skin longer, which also increases your chances of being caught.

I'm not sure where you're from or what the legal smoking age in your country is, but if you are underage, you could also face legal consequences for smoking underage. While you may only get a slap on the wrist, the person (or people) who are purchasing cigarettes for you could definitely face consequences such as large fines or jail time for supplying someone underage with cigarettes.

Quitting IS possible and I'm sure you can do it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this further.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes and smoking - March 2nd 2017, 06:50 AM

Hopefully someone realizes and knows what proper help to get you. The smoking and cutting are just symptoms of a much deeper underlying illness that needs attention. Probably depression and/or anxiety (or the anxiety can be a byproduct of depression).

It's really just substituting one coping mechanism for another. They both trigger dopamine release, which gives the temporary relief.

Problem is why are the dopamine levels so low in the first place? That's making you feel really bad, craving anything that will bring them back to normal level, even if just temporarily, even if it's bad for you.

Focus on what the underlying problem may be. Depression? Anxiety? Stress? Isolation? Loneliness? Feeling overwhelmed? It could be an underlying body illness problem, like low thyroid, for example, or something like that which you'd never think of. A doctor would know what to check for. A doctor may prescribe some medication to try and fix the underlying issue; and maybe some medication to take as needed in the meantime to help deal with whatever bad feelings there are, something less devastating and less addictive than smoking.

I do hope you can see a doctor soon, and the doctor is smart enough to recognize the symptoms of an underlying chemical imbalance in the body. Cutting is obviously a symptom of that.

It's hard to say if smoking is better than cutting. Much easier to say focus on the underlying problem, and the cutting will naturally stop. (Then you'll just have to deal with the smoking, which is highly addictive, but that can be dealt with too. Chantix medication might help; it works for some people. Nicotine gum and patches might help. Or some people are able to just quit, and suffer a few weeks until the body readjusts and the cravings go away.)

Ideally one wouldn't cut or smoke at all, but it's hard to expect that or even ask for that without first recognizing the underlying problem and focusing on that.

Best wishes! Thank you for writing!

Closed Thread