TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sunshine☮ Offline
run til the sun burns out
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

party on saturday... help :( - January 14th 2009, 06:34 PM

I don't really drink. Like, at all. I'd really rather not drink at all but just to ease the horribleness of peer pressure, I might drink a cooler or one drink so people don't bother me. I don't really care about drinking just one drink, because the main reason I don't drink is because I don't want to get drunk and lose control, and I really don't think one drink will get me drunk.

But anyways, there's a party this Saturday that I'm invited to called 'Slosh the Frosh', where basically the upper years during my orientation buy all the alcohol and the frosh (first years like me) from my orientation group all go and drink. I'm anxious because I wouldn't go to drink and it will be a pretty large event where I won't really know a lot of people except a few and everyone will be getting drunk. I don't think I would have fun, really. I don't have to go, and I probably won't.

Is it so abnormal for me to not drink? It seems like everyone around me at University just loves to party and get drunk, but I'm really not like that. It makes me feel super abnormal and like an outcast... :(

formerly know as Dori

most of the shadows of this life are caused
by our standing in our own
sunshine

Send a message via MSN to Sunshine☮  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
emotionless129 Offline
Jennie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jennifer

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 14th 2009, 07:03 PM

It's completely fine that you do not drink... It is your own personal decision and people have to respect that. Don't feel like you wont make friends or have fun because you don't drink. Maybe you're with the wrong crowd. Try to find people who also don't drink and you'll feel less pressure (:

Just when you think things can't get any worse,
they do. I've learned that life is like an hourglass.
Sooner or later, everything hits rock bottom.
All you have to do is be patient and wait for
someone to turn everything back around. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 14th 2009, 07:10 PM

it's fine that you don't drink, you're certainly not abnormal! i'd say, just go and have one drink and drink it slowly, so long as you're mingling and chatting with others i wouldn't think anyone would pester you to drink more. it'd be a shame for you not to go because you think other people will try to get you to drink, however it does sound like this party is just a massive pissup and nothing else, so you may not be missing out on much. how about getting together with some other people who aren't so keen on going and going out seperately?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
becky Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 14th 2009, 07:12 PM

Alot of people don't drink, so don't be ashamed or worried about it.

i think you should go, it might be more fun than you think. and how many other times will you get the chance?
  Send a message via AIM to becky  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 14th 2009, 07:14 PM

You are NOT abnormal at all. I don't like to drink either; it just doesn't interest me. Even though everyone is probably going to that party don't feel obligated to go if you are uncomfortable. Do what is right for you. :]

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
*Kurai-Miko*
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Holly

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 14th 2009, 07:14 PM

It's not strange to not like drinking, especially if you don't like losing control. It's probably a good idea that you don't go, not knowing anyone in a crowd of drunks can be a little intimidating and a quite dangerous. Partying like that is not for everyone, and it's understandable, and you shouldn't be pressured into doing something that you don't like by anyone, especially friends.

Find a group of people who either don't drink at all, or if they do, drink in moderation and not to get drunk.

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating.
In the pain, there is healing.
In your name, I find meaning.
So I'm holdin' on ...
I'm barely holdin' on to you.
-- Broken: Lifehouse --
  Send a message via MSN to Forgotten--Simplicity  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
sturmeskind Offline
formally known as "Okta"
Average Joe

Name: Lisa

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 15th 2009, 01:18 PM

It is certainly NOT weird that you don't drink. If you don't want to, don't.
But....
People around you will drink. At parties or on other occasions. You will not be able to avoid having to do with drunk people. It doesn't make them bad or anything... they are just drunk.
If you go to that party, you might just have fun. Who knows? Drunk people can be very entertaining...
From a very sober point of view:
Don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with. But don't close yourself off from social life either.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 15th 2009, 01:22 PM

Drinking isn't everyones cup of tea, so you shouldn't feel different or abnormal because you don't want to, you aren't the only one. As for what to do at the party, just go and have fun and if anyone asks just say that you don't fancy a drink or maybe have a cup that has something like coke in so they aren't going to ask if you want a drink because you already have one.

Don't feel as though you have to drink to fit in especially if you don't like it because you shouldn't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sunshine☮ Offline
run til the sun burns out
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 15th 2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks a lot everybody. <3 I don't think I'm going to go to the party on Saturday because the main goal of the party is to get everyone drunk, so I don't think it would be my cup of tea. However, I'm going to take Elle's idea and do something else with my friends so that I don't feel lonely or anything. Thanks again!

formerly know as Dori

most of the shadows of this life are caused
by our standing in our own
sunshine

Send a message via MSN to Sunshine☮  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: party on saturday... help :( - January 15th 2009, 10:26 PM

I'm in university also and yes, quite a few do like to drink and party. I only have a beer on occassions with my family during a dinner or sometimes half a beer. Getting drunk just seems stupid to me. I see it as a short term gain and a long term pain, or sometimes short term pain, long term pain. Some people can hold their alcohol better than others, acetyaldehyde dehydrogenase polymorphism (fancy words for saying some people can hold their booze and some cant).

If you don't want to go, then don't go. Or, go by, grab a beer or something and leave.

Closed Thread