TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

How to advise someone without seeming overprotective? - June 17th 2018, 11:12 AM

[SIZE="a"]Basically there is a girl I have been talking to/ getting to know well for the past 3 months. We aren't yet together as such but we feel it's heading towards something more. I have always been against drug use and have always stayed away from it. When we have talked about it in the past she seemed to agree. However recently it has become clear that she does do some stuff. I am unsure of the specifics and am pretty ignorant about different drugs. I am assuming it is likely to be E's maybe. She says she stays away from hard stuff but I feel most things have some risk aswell as the potential long term psychological affects. I know if we were together I would worry about what she was doing. I'd be lieing if I said I didn't care about her after 3 months because I do and if anything happened it would be awful. However I know it is her choice and not mine.
I guess I was wondering how I might approach advising her against it without seeming overprotective or controlling. I don't know if I am in a position to do so after only being involved with her for 3 months. I understand how Im not her parent and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to tell her what to do but it is only because I care about her.
Sorry this post is long but I've written it now. I hope I don't seem too pathetic and any help is much appreciated. Thanks[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How to advise someone without seeming overprotective? - June 19th 2018, 12:13 PM

You're not pathetic in the slightest! In fact, it's very admirable that you care so much about the girl!

I'm wondering if having a casual conversation might help a bit? Perhaps find out what her drug usage is like (whether she only does it in certain circumstances or on a more regular basis) and perhaps why she does it- is out of peer pressure, to escape reality/stress, boost confidence/feel relaxed, or just for fun and experimentation? Depending on her reasons for taking drugs, you can then help her to find healthier alternatives.

It's understandable that you would be concerned about her drug usage, especially when you are against drugs because of the short term and long term risks. And it'makes sense that you would want to approach her about this but don't want to come off as over-protective or like a parent. Approaching the subject casually might help with this, and you can always just say that you care about her and don't want any harm to come to her. I'm sure she would appreciate it

For more information about drugs in general, you can always check out FRANK.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread