TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Name: Lucy

I drink every day. - December 13th 2018, 08:02 PM

Hey

Iíve got this problem, that I think I drink too much.
I drink every evening to make peace in my mind, so I can sleep. I kinda know itís a problem, thatís why I make this thread.
Any good advice to get out of this bad circle?

I feel like I need alcohol. Itís scary.

Hugs from Lucy.

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

ďI am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.Ē
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tattooed*Heart Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Christina

Re: I drink every day. - December 13th 2018, 08:07 PM

Lucy, I was 14 years old when I first picked up my first alcoholic drink and it quickly became an issue for me which led into other drugs. I am very proud of you for making this thread and realizing that there is a problem in your life with drinking. The main thing I can suggest to you is talk to someone who can set you up getting to an AA meeting. I cannot express in just this one post how NA changed my life. The program and the people involved are there to support you 100% around the clock whenever you need it. If you ever need to talk please pm me and I will get back to you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: I drink every day. - December 13th 2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed*Heart View Post
Lucy, I was 14 years old when I first picked up my first alcoholic drink and it quickly became an issue for me which led into other drugs. I am very proud of you for making this thread and realizing that there is a problem in your life with drinking. The main thing I can suggest to you is talk to someone who can set you up getting to an AA meeting. I cannot express in just this one post how NA changed my life. The program and the people involved are there to support you 100% around the clock whenever you need it. If you ever need to talk please pm me and I will get back to you.

Hey
Thanks for your reply. Iíve thought about getting help, but I donít think Iím strong enough right now. I want to drink less, but itís also a safe-zone, if you know what I mean?

ďI am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.Ē

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tattooed*Heart Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I drink every day. - December 13th 2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyne View Post

Hey
Thanks for your reply. Iíve thought about getting help, but I donít think Iím strong enough right now. I want to drink less, but itís also a safe-zone, if you know what I mean?
You are stronger than you think because you spoke up about the problem. Like I said with me alcohol led to other harder drugs and that is not something to mess around with at all. Also you are correct because you are the only one who can take that step to get help. No matter how much anyone (me or anyone else) can talk to you about programs like AA it is up to you to explore it. I can only be there for you if you ever have questions or need anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: I drink every day. - December 14th 2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed*Heart View Post
You are stronger than you think because you spoke up about the problem. Like I said with me alcohol led to other harder drugs and that is not something to mess around with at all. Also you are correct because you are the only one who can take that step to get help. No matter how much anyone (me or anyone else) can talk to you about programs like AA it is up to you to explore it. I can only be there for you if you ever have questions or need anything.

Thank you so much for your support

Iíll (try to) mention it for my psychologist next time

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tattooed*Heart Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I drink every day. - December 14th 2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyne View Post

Thank you so much for your support

Iíll (try to) mention it for my psychologist next time
Good, it is good to talk about it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
HloeGH Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I drink every day. - April 27th 2020, 01:38 PM

I see no other way but to quit forever. Alcohol can wait and you only realize this when everything has gone too far.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: I drink every day. - June 8th 2020, 08:53 AM

The method will depend on how much you drink. A drink or two a night is not a major problem and can easily be addressed by replacing it with other form of enjoyment but if you are meaning that you drink alcoholism amounts then you could try a variety of treatments. The difference between an alcoholic and a regular drinker is the existence of craving. An alcoholic will start to crave alcohol on most non-drinking days if they start having drinking days because the brain has learnt a strong association between alcohol and pleasure. Fortunately, there are modern pharmaceutical techniques that can address this.

I have been in this cycle myself many times. I am planning on using what is called The Sinclair Method (TSM). It is a novel pharmaceutical approach to alcoholism. It doesn't use a "go abstinent and then white knuckle sobriety forever with meetings" approach. Instead, it involves taking a (fairly new) medication (naltrexone) that alters the way the brain perceives alcohol. It blocks the endorphins released by alcohol from having an effect. Therefore, you get drunk but it is a different, less euphoric sort of drunk. You take this pill every time you drink , and only take it on the days you drink. Over a period of months your brain becomes conditioned to stop associating alcohol with endorphins and pleasure. Cravings go away almost completely over time. They tested this on hard core alcoholics and most of them after conforming to this regimen for months become indifferent to alcohol- throwing out half empty cans and wine becomes like grape juice. The pill allows them to drink socially, still get drunk, and not be an "alcoholic " who must abstain completely to avoid cravings. They just take the pill beforehand just like a lactose intolerant person would take Lactaid before consuming dairy. The pill is generally well tolerated and doesn't really have strong psychoactive effects--it works in the background (as antidepressants do). It doesn't have to be taken regularly, but it does have to be taken each time you drink (so if you start drinking once a week then it will be ok to only take the medication once a week). Dose is usually 25 or 50mg of naltrexone-- sufficient no matter how much you plan to drink.

It takes time to work though. People generally start out drinking about the same , and then over several weeks to months will drink in progressively decreasing amounts and eventually reach a point where they have no cravings. They stop drinking daily and start going multiple days between drinking. They can get drunk socially and have a good time, but it ensures drinking does not become a compulsion or a habit.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; June 8th 2020 at 09:28 AM.