TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Is it? - December 15th 2018, 07:12 PM

[SIZE="a"]I have this habit of overusing Xanax. I'm prescribed one a day but I tend to have to take 2 or three to make the anxiety stop.

Is this considered abuse even though I can go months without it.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Scooter~ Offline
2 Angels are watching over me.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Scott

Re: Is it? - December 15th 2018, 07:23 PM

Don't know if you would be considered addicted to it if you can go months without taking it, but taking it not as prescribed by a doctor can have not so good side effects. As hard as it might be I would bring this up to your doctor who prescribes this to you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Luminescence. Offline
Articles Writer
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it? - December 15th 2018, 08:50 PM

The doctor has prescribed you a specific dose of that medicine for a reason. You should never take more than instructed. If you believe your current dose isn't working for you, then you need to speak to your doctor about it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Is it? - December 15th 2018, 11:30 PM

Hello there,

Everyone considers abusing anti-anxiety medication from person to person - one might say, "I take two tablets a day and the bottle says once a day, however, my doctor and I talked about if I needed an extra boost I can." or "The bottle says to take one or two tablets on a needed basics but I take it every day."

Each statement has its positives and negatives. Everyone views anti-anxiety medication differently than another. With both statements, you can see both sides. Even though the bottle says one thing but you and your doctor discuss taking another tablet is okay on a needed basis like you are having a really hard time - I don't see that as an issue. However, if you are using this method a lot to cope with anxiety than maybe you need to incorporate more activities to help reduce your anxiety.

With the other statement having the bottle saying you can take one to two tablets on a needed basis but then suddenly find yourself taking it every day, this may be viewed as overusing the medication because it's there for when you need it when all your coping skills aren't working effectively.

Anexity is really difficult to cope with and sometimes we don't always know what to do to help bring that anxiety down so we are able to function more. Do you do breathing exercises? It might be helpful to practice when you are calm that way when you feel your anxiety start to creep in you can gently begin to breathe calmly and try to relax. This may not always be helpful, breathing can be really effective in controlling your breathing and heart rate during anxiety.

TeenHelp has a lot of helpful articles and I think some of these might benefit you to help with reducing your anxiety.

Mindfulness
Utilizing grounding techniques

I hope this is helpful. Stay strong.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Is it? - December 16th 2018, 05:28 PM

[SIZE="a"]I have extreme anxiety and breathing exercises don't work. I've been in therapy for years and have been told that my anxiety is quite bad. I've been told I will be having to use anti-anxiety medication forever due to how bad my anxiety. It's essentially stop taking anti-anxiety and do breathing exercises that don't work and get overly suicdal or take the medication to prevent me to getting to a place where I kill myself.

Some people have severe anxiety and nothing but medication works and I happen to be one of those people.[/size]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Is it? - December 16th 2018, 05:33 PM

Hi there. I too suffer crippling anxiety and the only thing that I can do is take medicine for it, like you nothing else works. Perhaps your doctor can put you on something similar to the xanax? I had to stop taking xanax because it didnt work as well so they put me on a medicine called klonopin that they said works longer, as in lingers in the system longer than xanax does.

I can do it
I'll get through it
But Iím only human
And I bleed when I fall down
Iím only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause Iím only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Is it? - December 17th 2018, 02:47 AM

[SIZE="a"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe and Believe View Post
Hi there. I too suffer crippling anxiety and the only thing that I can do is take medicine for it, like you nothing else works. Perhaps your doctor can put you on something similar to the xanax? I had to stop taking xanax because it didnt work as well so they put me on a medicine called klonopin that they said works longer, as in lingers in the system longer than xanax does.
I seey doctor in February so I think I'll ask him about klonipin as I have heard it lasts longer.[/size]

Closed Thread