TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lvpeyton Offline
stronger than yesterday
Average Joe

drinking and smoking weed - June 4th 2009, 04:24 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i used to smoke weed at least 6 times a day about 2 or 3 years ago, and since then i was doing it every now and then, until now.
i used to drink once or twice a week, sometimes never, until now.
lately, i feel like very strong urges to drink. i have very strong desires to just get that feeling. sometimes i get really silly or sometimes i get upset, but i am just less bottled up. i have been drinking a lot for a while now.
i have started smoking weed again too. and when i combine the two, i feel better then ever. i know i should stop, but it is such a big social activity too, and i feel like i am just taking it to the next level, because as soon as i get home, i smoke more by myself and have a few more drinks until i am wasted.
i quit smoking cigarettes for 5 months now and honestly i feel like i dropped one habit for another. .
maybe i just have an addictive personality

"All these short times feel like no time, I thought you ought to know."

“Sometimes you have to forget about what you want, and remember what you deserve.”

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: drinking and smoking weed - June 4th 2009, 06:01 PM

Hey,

To be honest and frank with you, I do think at any point we start to divulge in any type of substance like drugs or alcohol to the point where it becomes less of a social action and more of a lifestyle, there is a serious problem. I have preferred any of my friends to smoke weed instead of cigarettes because of the proven medical factors in tobacco. However, it doesn't mean weed is at all safe. Just because we can't draw lines to marijuana creating medical problems, doesn't make it okay to rely on and continue. The fact that we can't fully understand the drug and effects is a dangerous trait of weed. Believing any substance betters us when we're overwhelmed by it is a borderline addiction situation - in my eyes. I'm not at all trying to take anyone down, I've been in the boat myself, I'm simply putting my 10 cents in. Bottom line, it can morph and change who you are from who you want to be. We can create a mental addiction and believe we are better with substances than without. Our bodies can become dependent and things can easily slip downhill. Whenever we begin to believe, in our minds, something is needed in our systems or craved...something needs to be done immediately to reverse the ideas.

I don't think it's that you have an 'addictive personality' at all. I think some people can cope better than others. I believe that there are people that are more prone to drug and alcohol addictions than others as well. Everyone has a different mentality about substances. We each form our own opinions and goals in life and decide for ourselves what we will and won't try. It can also weigh heavily on our self esteem and self worth. The lower we see ourselves, the better chance we have of trying drugs as a solutions. I think with any attempt to become sober, the right mentality is needed. Believe in yourself and you need to believe in your cause. Trying to quit because others want you to will never be a safe reason to start. If you truly believe you're better without the drugs, then that is a perfect motivational tool. You have gone 2-3 years without relying so much on other substances, that is proof you don't need them today. Try to build yourself up and maybe figure out why you're craving the alcohol and weed again. Sometimes when we answer questions, it can enable us to motivate ourselves more in our cause. The big questions do ask yourself are; do you think you have a problem and are you ready to fix it?

Everyone on this site can reply and tell you you're addicted mentally to weed or you're borderline alcoholic, but it's you who decides what to do with our opinions and advice. (No one here can actually diagnose you with an addiction, those were examples). In all honesty, it doesn't sound to me like you're very proud of starting to smoke weed and drink more often. The fact that you call it a habit tells me this is something negative in your mind. So, I believe you should quit. A good thing to practice is trying to become a social drinker and weed smoker, for now. When you start doing it alone, you enable easy access to the cravings and only make staying away more difficult. Remember that the high provided by any alcohol or drug only shadows your real fears/emotions and doesn't deal with any of them. You're crippling yourself. So, I think a first step is to try and cut off your supply of alcohol and weed while you're alone. Attempt to only do these things socially. You might also want to stray from those who drink and smoke regularly. Instead, try to involve yourself with work or activities and people that keep you busy and away from substance abuse.

Most importantly, if you don't think this is at a stage where you can handle it on your own, seek help. I urge you to talk to your doctor or a family member/friend. Talk to someone you trust who can help. You don't need to do this alone and it's okay to admit that you need some outside help. You can get drug counseling and therapy to help you cope with cravings and stress that forms cravings. Try to aim for sobriety, okay? Even if you don't believe anyone needs to be sober from weed or alcohol, the higher we aim the harder we try. If you give yourself a big goal, you'll be able to push a little harder and get a little further. Be proud of where you've come though. You're reaching out and that's always a good step. Don't deny yourself the credit you deserve at all. If you need anything, please feel free to PM me okay? I'm always willing to listen and try to help. Take care.

-Have faith

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread