TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tally Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Natalyia

Does being sober ever get easier?? - June 6th 2009, 09:01 PM

This is my first post besides posting in the intro forum. I feel kind of weird being on this site but my therapist thinks it will really help me. So.... I have been sober for 5 days. Does it get any easier? I know its not a long time but it seems like eternity to me. All I can think about is having a drink. And since I've been sober, all my other problems (like my eating disorder) have gotten stronger.
I know why i drink.
I dont know why im sober.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Does being sober ever get easier?? - June 6th 2009, 09:10 PM

The way you're feeling right now is a normal one, most-definitely. You're suffering from what seems like withdrawal. [I was going to post a link but I am not allowed considering I am a new member. Try searching "coping with alcohol withdrawal" in Google]. As I was searching for a link regarding this issue, I found out that about 95% of individuals who are just coming out of an alcohol addiction experience symptoms of withdrawal. It's normal.

You say that your other problems are also getting a lot stronger, right? That's normal as well. If you used alcohol as a coping mechanism to help you deal with these problems, like your eating disorder for example, then the withdrawal of this coping mechanism will definitely play a role in how you feel about your other problems.

I think it's really important that you find other, healthier coping mechanisms that you can use to help deal with the issues you're currently facing. You mentioned that you're seeing a therapist - that's great. You would be surprised as to how many people need help but are too afraid or ashamed to actually get it. That, in itself, is something to truly be proud of.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Does being sober ever get easier?? - June 7th 2009, 01:31 AM

Hey Natalyia, that's a really pretty name by the way.

First of all, welcome to TH, I do hope your therapist is right in that, this site helps you out . Secondly, congratulations on making the difficult decision to quit, and making it 5 days already. That is incredibly brave and you should be proud of yourself.

Staying sober does get easier with time, but more time then 5 days. You need to keep your mind on staying sober, and find something to distract you from wanting a drink. A new hobby, or something, anything. Just sitting there is not going to help you any.

Do your best, and like I said, it will get better. If you ever need anything else, please feel free to PM me, I don't mind one bit.

Take care.
Dylan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Does being sober ever get easier?? - June 8th 2009, 01:22 AM

I used to be pretty well addicted to whatever I could get my hands on--as long as I wasn't sober, it was all good. Hell, I even almost did acid once. The good thing about it is that it makes your life seem better when it's not actually going well. But then I got high at a time when I should have been happy, and it just wore down my excitement. What I'm syaing is: it makes your life seem better when it's bad, however, it'll only make your life worse when it's going well (which it WILL at some point), and the substance abuse is what MAKES your life worse than it is all-around (trust me, it sucks to be addicted to something) so your life won't be able to get much better if you don't really commit to killing your addiction. I've been sober for a while now, and seriously, just knowing that you're happy all on your own when the feeling comes around--it kicks ass.

Closed Thread