TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Question Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 15th 2009, 04:44 PM

I picked up smoking in college (yeahhh sucks). It was casual at first, but then it grew to an addiction. It's stupid.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else slips into this temporary depression when they smoke? Every time I have a cigarette, I always end up thinking about a lot of my mistakes and I hate myself for them, etc etc. It varies, sometimes I feel regret over little things that I should have done, then other times I just feel sad. And as soon as the high wears off, then I'm back to normal.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
four Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 15th 2009, 04:53 PM

Well you obviously feel that smoking is a large mistake, so everytime you smoke it is going to remind you of failures you have had. I imagine this is just a psychological thing... that could only be solved by quitting smoking.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 15th 2009, 06:00 PM

if smoking makes you feel depressed then the logical thing to do would be to quit, surely?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 15th 2009, 11:25 PM

honestly I have never heard of cigarettes making anyone depressed. niccotine is a stimulant not a depressant...
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 18th 2009, 03:24 AM

As Dustin stated, cigarettes are stimulants, not depressants. In my opinion, the cigarettes aren't the trigger. I'm a smoker too, so I've had a substantial amount of experience with similar symptoms. The way I view it, stepping out for a quick smoke is a chance to think. On some occasions you may find yourself thinking positive thoughts, other times you may find the opposite. Smoking is probably not the trigger for your depression, they are simply an enabler.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 18th 2009, 06:29 AM

I guess when you step out for a cigerette, especially on your own you think negatively about yourself. To begin with you probably thought negatively once or twice when having a cigerette and now whenever you go for one it's habit. I think the sensible option would be to quit.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - January 18th 2009, 05:51 PM

Whether something is a stimulant or a depressant has nothing to do with how you're feeling emotionally, it's all to do with the central nervous system. So if something is a depressant it simply means that the central nervous system is being slowed down and vice versa if something is a stimulant. Somewhat unrelated but people often confuse the term depressant with emotions.

Anyway i'd advise you quit if it's making you feel like that, it may be difficult if you're addicted but take it one day at a time and instead of stopping completely cut down how much you smoke per day.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lillywilliam Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - February 10th 2009, 11:35 AM

Yeah obviously they make me sick,,,, and i dont like the smell also if any one smokes near to me i ll get fainted....

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - February 10th 2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footienut1892 View Post
Whether something is a stimulant or a depressant has nothing to do with how you're feeling emotionally, it's all to do with the central nervous system. So if something is a depressant it simply means that the central nervous system is being slowed down and vice versa if something is a stimulant. Somewhat unrelated but people often confuse the term depressant with emotions.

Anyway i'd advise you quit if it's making you feel like that, it may be difficult if you're addicted but take it one day at a time and instead of stopping completely cut down how much you smoke per day.
Yay, someone understands the concepts!

The fact that you're feeling depressed would most likely be psychological, not a physiological response to the cigarettes. The smoking could be a trigger to think about the mistakes you've made in life, and that makes you sad. However, because you're smoking at the time, one could make the mistake (as I'm pretty sure you are) that the cigarettes are causing the sadness.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - February 12th 2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
I picked up smoking in college (yeahhh sucks). It was casual at first, but then it grew to an addiction. It's stupid.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else slips into this temporary depression when they smoke? Every time I have a cigarette, I always end up thinking about a lot of my mistakes and I hate myself for them, etc etc. It varies, sometimes I feel regret over little things that I should have done, then other times I just feel sad. And as soon as the high wears off, then I'm back to normal.
probably cause thats the only time of the day when you really have the time to just sit there and think about things. I kinda do the same thing think about my mistakes throughout the day or the week while i smoke and then when im finished i dont anymore cause i have something else to do to keep my mind off it

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Cigarettes Make Me Depressed? - February 13th 2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaigiexx View Post
I guess when you step out for a cigerette, especially on your own you think negatively about yourself. To begin with you probably thought negatively once or twice when having a cigerette and now whenever you go for one it's habit. I think the sensible option would be to quit.
I thought of a similar thing.

I imagine it's all quite psychological, you're doing something that at the end of the day you know isn't doing your health any good. You can't ignore it what with the government campaigns and the horrifying images on cigarette and tobacco packets.
Your mind will trip back to other things you regret. Especially if you smoke alone, it's quiet, no one to talk to. All there is to do it think!

Clearly you get no real pleasure out of smoking when you have thoughts like that haunting you everything time you pick one up. It's so much easier, and better to just pack it in. It'll be hard initially, as with everything.

Closed Thread