TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Could this person possibly be an alcoholic? - June 26th 2009, 11:15 AM

Okk so, this person is not me.
He would be at work craving a drink and the first thing he'd do when he got home was crack open a bottle of scotch and drink half of it that day only to do it again the next day and the next etc...for a nuber of years.
I asked him why he did it, he said, to cope with things in life, to feel good, a way of dealing with things..
I worry about him.
I don't know if these habits are current but nonetheless i still am concerened.

Answers greatly appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Could this person possibly be an alcoholic? - June 26th 2009, 04:10 PM

Oh for sure. Obviously if he's saying he needs it to cope with life and he's craving drinks and drinking a ridiculous amount I think it's safe to say he's got a problem. And he's been doing it for years. I think you have every right to be concerned, but unless he's under 18 there's not much you can do about it except trying to talk to him and being there for him. Just don't enable him in any way if he needs it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Re: Could this person possibly be an alcoholic? - June 26th 2009, 04:12 PM

He is an alcoholic.

~Samantha~

PM me anytime

Recovering Self Harmer

Rape Survivor 9/28/11

The Day I Met My Soulmate 10/27/11

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Could this person possibly be an alcoholic? - June 26th 2009, 04:24 PM

Hey,

In my opinion, this is something you're rightfully concerned about. Many health issues can sprout from drinking too much too often. Especially liver damage - being one of the most common and dangerous. I think you're a very good friend to be concerning yourself with his well being and I think you might consider talk to him about the kind of problems he's trying to drink away. Maybe then you can suggest a program like Alcoholics Anonymous for him. Maybe you could/should even try and convince him to speak to his parents if he's your age or his doctor and see if he can speak to a counselor.

Personally, this doesn't sound healthy. I don't know whether or not to put this under the definition of alcoholic, I can't say. What I can say is that I think he might need some help coping properly with his problems. Anytime you rely on a substance to cope for you is a time when outside help should be sought. I think for the benefit of your friend, it might be a good idea to speak to someone from AA and maybe get some helpful hints in convincing people to turn to a healthy way to cope from alcohol - if he doesn't agree that he should stop that is.

The best thing to remember is to be supportive and give him time to quit by himself before you jump to trying to force him. Quitting will come much easier if he wants to do it himself and motivates himself. You're a very good friend for being so caring and wanting to help. Keep up the good work and remember not to take it all on your own shoulders. Know when enough is enough. If you need someone, I'm only a PM away. :]

-Have hope

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Could this person possibly be an alcoholic? - June 27th 2009, 03:33 AM

well, this person is not my age. hes 52 years old lol but he is still my friend. But there is not much i can do for him simply because of the position. He's the adult and i am the kid so yeah. But i still am concerned.
And no he's not a creepy pedo or something being my friend its okay lol hes my science and music teacher lol. =]

Closed Thread