TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Realist
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

clean - July 1st 2009, 04:06 PM

I am completely clean, but feel absolutely alone.

I've never tried recreational drugs, drinking, etc. and have no want to try, but everyone around me is wrapped up in it. It's difficult for me to be around them when they're high and a lot of the time I'm the only sober person around.

I don't want to sound stuck up, because I don't look down on those who have substance addictions (I mean, they're my best friends), but I'm tired of being the only one in my town in the 2% of teenagers that haven't tried recreational drugs, etc.

I don't know what to do, and coming out of a bad relationship with a guy who smoked all the time, I feel the need to ask every guy I meet if he's a pot-head before I go any farther.

Maybe I should just give in? I don't know...

I'm not sure if I put this thread in the right forum, but I couldn't think of anywhere else it would go. Thanks for any comments or advice (:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: clean - July 1st 2009, 05:27 PM

You shouldn't feel as though you've got to give in and try it to fit in with everyone else because you don't want to lead yourself down a bad road because of it. If you know that given the choice of trying it or not, others doing it aside, that you don't want to try it and you want to stay clean then stay clean. You can still go out and have fun with them regardless of what they are doing and if you feel that you can't, try and find some people who are clean to spend time with.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: clean - July 2nd 2009, 02:49 PM

There is never any reason to do drugs especially if it's to fit in. Why risk getting arrested, addicted and screwing up your life over trying to fit in? That's the first thing they should've taught you in health class. I personally do drugs from time to time but it's not something to do if you want to be like everyone else. There are tons of people out there who don't do drugs and it's not 2%. There's plenty. When you hang out with your friends ask them to have the courtesy of not doing anything when you're around and give them the reason why and they should understand and respect that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: clean - July 2nd 2009, 04:43 PM

We are a lot alike. I have never done drugs. I did try alcohol once when I was 15, but I realized thats not a life I want to live. I wanted to follow my heart and not follow a crowd full of idiots.

There are not a lot of people where I live that are Straight Edge(term for no drugs, no alcohol, no smoking), but I know that the people who are Straight Edge, actually followed there heart, not their friends.

Be strong and NEVER give in.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: clean - July 2nd 2009, 07:41 PM

I applaud to you for not having to have done any drugs or liquor, despite having friends that get impaired on a regular basis.

I started doing drugs when I was 13 and drinking a little later, a few months before my 20th birthday, I stopped. It wasn't my first time trying to stop, but this time was different, I had to cut off all of my friends from my life that even drank and/or did drugs in the least, they are bad influences for me, period. Indeed, someone who is always sober and doesn't drink/do drugs will most likely feel left out of everything, but it's all a matter of finding the right friends who have your same ideals as yours about substances that impairs the body and mind.

I have found some people in rl that are like me, but they are all like 40-80 years old, and I'm 20, so... haha

The ones where I live, the ones who don't drink or do drugs are all afraid of going outside and are in hiding. So I have to go out and find them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: clean - July 2nd 2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
We are a lot alike. I have never done drugs. I did try alcohol once when I was 15, but I realized thats not a life I want to live. I wanted to follow my heart and not follow a crowd full of idiots.
People who live a different lifestyle than you are not always idiots. Kind of generalizing that no?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: clean - July 2nd 2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaestheasiaen View Post
People who live a different lifestyle than you are not always idiots. Kind of generalizing that no?

No, idiots are the people that would make the OP(and myself) feel alone because they would rather smoke and get drunk...

Closed Thread