TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 17th 2009, 10:01 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Alcohol cravings wont go away. I just need to pour a strong drink of something alcoholic down my throat. But i have no money and my dad has no money (literally none) but i NEED some. For ages i drank at night to get drunk and then in the mornings i drank to get tipsy to make the day less unbearable....but i have run out, and now i am desperate. I feel like i am going crazy!!!

Is this behavior of an alcohol addict? i know i am non and ALCOHOLIC suffering ALCOHOLISM but it seems i am somewhat addicted...

Further information:
-I know my limits but i cannot stop at them and must always exceed them.
- I drink alone
-I drink to forget
-I drink to get drunk
- I drink to feel good
-I pass out
-ALWAYS craving drinks
-Been to school drunk or hungover
-When there is no alcohol (such as now) I go crazy and think of everywhere i could possibly get it
-Drink mornings

But i dont think i get withdrawal symptoms like tremors or anything so i am not PHYSICALLY dependent right? But what about psychologically?

Last edited by soul; July 17th 2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added triggering prefix due to the content of the post

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 17th 2009, 11:47 AM

Same as you Nat... Having no money is what helped me though... Trust me it aint easy, but a few weeks and itll go (: I still drink when I can but Im better than I was as I hate the taste of most alcoholic drink, but LOVE the effects... That said I would not promote it in anyway its a baaad thing, and never having any would be the best thing... Cold turkeys the way to go however hard it seems, I drink milk instead when I cant get hold of alcohol, try and keep busy and with friends, if not on here, talking typing, and just ignore those cravings (: Feel free to PM Good luck!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 17th 2009, 07:10 PM

Hey Nat (:

Alcohol is both a psychologically addictive and a physically addictive substance. It definitely takes a longer amount of time to become physically addicted to this substance than it takes to develop a psychological need for it. So, it is possible that you are psychologically addicted now and on your way to developing a physical addiction if you don't deal with this problem soon. Here is some information that explains the difference between abuse and addiction:

Quote:
Psychological Addiction
Psychological addiction happens when the cravings for a drug are psychological or emotional. People who are psychologically addicted feel overcome by the desire to have a drug. They may lie or steal to get it.

A person crosses the line between abuse and addiction when he or she is no longer trying the drug to have fun or get high, but has come to depend on it. His or her whole life centers around the need for the drug. An addicted person — whether it's a physical or psychological addiction or both — no longer feels like there is a choice in taking a substance.

Notice how they brought up the same feeling of need and desire that you mentioned. Additionally, the fact you're having such a hard time living without any alcohol leads me to believe that it may indeed be controlling your life to some extent. If you continue down this path it's not going to lead you anywhere you want to go. I would highly suggest trying to talk about your problem with an adult in your life and considering entering into an outpatient alcohol abuse counseling program. You don't want to let this become an even more serious addiction by not taking any action. If you have any questions or just need someone to talk to feel free to PM me anytime. You don't have to keep living like this. You do have other options. Take care and make good choices.

Lots of love<3 Mimi

Sources:
http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind...dictions.html#

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 18th 2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks for your answerrs guys.
I can't enter alcohol abuse counselling; 1) because i don't want to give it up 2)there is enough stress on my dad enough as it is 3) most of that stress is casue by me and my frequent visits to counselling for an eating disorder...gahh alcohol is my only release!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 20th 2009, 04:38 PM

Hey Nat,

I'm going to be frank with you, alcohol is only a release as long as you let it be. There are so many other ways to cope and heal. Alcohol might be the quickest or easiest way right now, but it's not your only release. You can write journals or come on here and vent, there are so many people to listen and so many ways to get through this. Alcohol will eventually suck up your money and make things harder - if it hasn't already. Alcohol certainly isn't a need, but I think it's a want many people convince themselves to have. Your body doesn't need alcohol. You don't need alcohol to survive, but I can understand wanting it because the easy ways are always the roads we pick first.

I do think you might want to look into an alcohol abuse program. If not that, I suggest you should speak to a counselor about the things that might be pushing you to drinking. I understand not wanting to give this up. Who would want to get rid of a method to coping that works? But the fact is, this isn't healthy. Over long term abuse, it can only lead to more problems - not just physically. But, you need to want to give it up before you can ever try a program to help you. I'm sure your dad loves you very much and wants you to be okay. If anything, you quitting or at least slowing down on drinking would help his worries about you subside. You are worth the time it would take to help your drinking. I can see how stressful it might be for him to know that you're going through this rough time, but it's better you're trying to stop this than letting it consume you. Trying to stop this would be less stressful than letting it run you. Just think about it for a while. I know this must be a difficult time for you, but alcohol will always be your only release as long as you allow yourself to believe it's all you have.

I'm telling you now, it isn't your only release and there are people here wanting to help you. There are people everywhere who would be willing to help. You don't need to make your mind up all at once, but thinking about it is a start. :] Maybe next time you feel you need a drink, call a local help line to vent to before. Try to last as long as you can without resorting to drinking. :] All you can do is try. I know, if you put your mind to this, you can come clean. Either way, I'm behind you. I hope you're doing okay and I wish you good luck. If you need anything, come and find me. You're not alone. Ever.

Have hope,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 26th 2009, 03:51 AM

thank you melissa! =]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Imaginary Offline
Average Joe

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - July 26th 2009, 11:42 AM

Hello. I'm not addicted to alcohol, but when I feel crazy, I find reading jokes helps.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15667...ic-strips.html
http://www.wocka.com/6895.html

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad right now, but I wish you the best of luck. Find something to distract you right now okay? Well wishes.

myspace.com/lonesome_fish for poetry. I like feedback sometimes. And I like smiley faces .

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ibiza Offline
*Lush*
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicia "Ibiza" Marie

Re: It won't go away!!!! I'm going INSANE! - August 3rd 2009, 08:07 PM

your not an alcoholic.
Alcoholics go to meetings.
Your a drunk : )
But yes, your still abusing it though,
sorry.
I've been there when my fiance was out to sea (navy) i drank every day all day for 6 months, not a minute i was sober. But what helped me was him, he gave me a reason to not have to drink.
I suggest finding somthing to do or someone ; ) that will make you happy without the booze.
It's hard and it sucks, and it's a long road, but if you really want to be sober and enjoy life you can do it.
On the other hand, if your like me and just want to be left alone with your bottle,
I say cheers : ) (j/k)

~*Perception is a world wide epidemic.*~

Closed Thread