TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oOo.NICKI.oOo Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicki

Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 07:26 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I had a random question and I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to it. The other day I was watching a show on TV with my Mom. I believe it's on TLC and it's called Intervention. Basically families who are concerned about their loved one's addiction to something, hold an intervention and attempt to get that person into some sort of rehab. The girl that was on the show the other night had an addiction to sniffing duster. The duster comes in the little spray cans that you can buy anywhere and spray around your house to clear away dust. She would just put it to her mouth and breath in.

My question is: What kind of effect does this have on someone? I'm guessing that it's sort of like a high feeling, but I'm not really sure about that either. I just don't get what it's supposed to do to you or what it feels like. I've only been high once in my life from smoking pot and I don't know if the feeling is similar to that or not? I'm just curious and wondering if anyone has any idea what exactly sniffing duster makes you feel like. By the way I'm not going to try it, just in case it seems that way. I really was just curious because I didn't really get what the girl on the show was getting out of sucking up the air from duster cans.

Send a message via MSN to oOo.NICKI.oOo Send a message via Yahoo to oOo.NICKI.oOo  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 07:31 PM

(Moved to Substance Abuse- as it seems to be about addiction to a substance rather than a behaviour.)

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Username101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 07:34 PM

I used to abuse duster, and I did for awhile. I don't know how much into detail I want to go into, simply because there are some rules against that.

I can tell you the negative side effects that it had on my body though. I realize that you aren't interested in trying it, but just realize that the high you get is NOT worth the effects you receive afterward. I have irreversible neurological problems now because I used to abuse it so often.

I'll just say this much.. The high itself lasts anywhere between 15 seconds to a minute long. That's why there is such a high tendency to continually abuse huffing or sniffing. For me, it's just an all over body high. But, it was probably the scariest thing I'd done at the same time.

One of the most unhealthy things you can do to your body. And the reason you're getting high is because it's not actually air that you're huffing. It's a common misconception. I thought the same thing myself when I first started. But really it's just a lot of different chemicals/gases that are being absorbed into the blood vessels into your lungs. In return, these vessels constrict, and cut off oxygen to the brain. Therefore causing a euphoria.

Hope this helps!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 08:52 PM

Hey Nikki, Intervention is on A&E. It causes dizziness, lightheadedness and euphoria, the high wears off within 5 minutes and 33% of deaths caused by it occur on first time use, so it's definately not worth it eventhough I know you don't want to try it. I've never done it, but I got that from Intervention.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
oOo.NICKI.oOo Offline
Average Joe

Re: Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly88 View Post
Hey Nikki, Intervention is on A&E. It causes dizziness, lightheadedness and euphoria, the high wears off within 5 minutes and 33% of deaths caused by it occur on first time use, so it's definately not worth it eventhough I know you don't want to try it. I've never done it, but I got that from Intervention.
Oh yeah, it is A&E What exactly is euphoria? I'm not sure I know what that means really. Just curious...

Send a message via MSN to oOo.NICKI.oOo Send a message via Yahoo to oOo.NICKI.oOo  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Username101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 10:20 PM

Euphoria simply means to be in a state of happiness.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
oOo.NICKI.oOo Offline
Average Joe

Re: Sniffing Duster - July 22nd 2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole.Taglione View Post
Euphoria simply means to be in a state of happiness.
Oh lol. Okay thanks

Closed Thread