TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MarcusMiller Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cigarettes - August 10th 2009, 06:56 AM

I started smoking ciggs about 5 months ago and I was thinking about quitting. But tell me, are my lungs screwed for life already or can my body still give me at least 70 years. by the by, I work out and eat organic. On average its 2 ciggs a day somtimes 4 sometimes none. If Im screwed then I'm smoking till it kills me, if not maybe ill quit.

Im not looking for opinions, I know its bad and I shouldn't do it. I want facts that I haven't completely doomed my self and possible estimations on how bad my lungs are because personally I feel no different other than a certain sense of tainted lungs....I dont know though could be all up in my head. answers? thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: Cigarettes - August 10th 2009, 07:54 AM

Your lungs should still be in near to perfect condition.
I recommend you stop to prevent damage.

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Cigarettes - August 10th 2009, 11:08 AM

I don't think it's ever really too late to stop smoking. You sound healthy generally and it's not as though you're on 20 a day, I think it would be worth stopping before you really get addicted.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Cigarettes - August 10th 2009, 11:45 AM

well cigarettes effect everyones body/lungs differently. some people can smoke for their whole life and never have a problem and some people can have significant damage to their lungs after quite a short period of time. no one here can tell you exactly how much damage you've done - but regardless if i were you i would consider quitting. you said you don't want opinions, so i won't tell you about all the health risks as i'm assuming you're well aware of them and chosing to smoke anyway.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Cigarettes - August 10th 2009, 09:02 PM

Lungs can heal themselves from smoking, however, it requires generous amount of time and it depends on just how much you've smoked. As for your lungs, I would say that there probably is some damage but the sooner you stop, the greater chance you have for your lungs to heal. However, after only 5 months and since you're not smoking a lot per day then that would reduce the damage. For the lungs to heal, it's not going to take simply a few weeks of not smoking, it's going to take some months. Since you're fairly young, you should have a very good rate of bodily repair. Since you exercise and eat healthy, that may be able to help it out also. So, to answer your question of whether or not you're completely screwed right now, you're not screwed right now.

As for how long you'll live, that's something that's too hard to know.

I'm sure you're well aware of the health risks already so I'm not going to bother to tell them to you. But the sooner you quit, the higher your chances are of your lungs healing. If you want to quit, then don't get the nicorette patches or chewing gum. Get the nicorette inhaler as it satisfies the need to do something with your hands (you may have seen the commercials for them).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes - August 10th 2009, 10:16 PM

You should be fine. If you've only been doing it for 5 months, and you don't smoke that much. Not to mention you live a pretty good lifestyle aside from that. You're fine. No matter what stage in life you are quitting will help your health to some degree, so quitting now, you're ahead of the game.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MarcusMiller Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cigarettes - August 11th 2009, 06:26 PM

everyone's been extremely helpful. thanks

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Cigarettes - August 11th 2009, 10:09 PM

Seeing as everyone here has had replies that explain the same advice, I see no other reason to keep this thread open as the OP seems to be satisfied and I can't see future replies doing much more than repeating information above. If anyone has any issues with this, please feel free to PM me. Take care all and I hope quitting goes good for you. I believe in you <3

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread