TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
markus209 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy pain management? - August 11th 2009, 09:13 PM

About 6 months ago, while I was playing football for my sunday league team I was involved in a pretty bad tackle and as a result I badly damaged my knee, mainly the cartilage. The area around it hurts alot, and I was perscribed initially ibuprofen to help manage the pain but when that didnt seem to help I was eventually given a type of "opioid" (codeine something).

I may have got some of the medical terms wrong there but basically the area around my knee hurts alot. The drugs aren't helping as much as I want them to, they ease the pain but it doesn't really go away. but my parents are fairly convinced that I'm either lying or it's in my head because this is so long after the original incident...

Is it possible that it is all in my head, am i addicted to them??

After that question, this may sound hippocritical, but...My friend has told me that he's heard that heroin can help me to get rid of the pain, but im really not sure how reliable this information is. Is there a possibility that this could completely get rid of all the pain?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: pain management? - August 12th 2009, 01:26 AM

I wouldn't say you're addicted to them, stuff like that can affect your life for years down the road. There may have been something done to your knee that wasn't caught in initial check-ups. I would reccomend going to the doctor about it, and request he take another look, or change your prescription. If you really feel you may be addicted, I would say talk to your doctor about that too.

On to the second part of your question.

Do not ever ever try heroin!

Speaking from personal experience, it does do really crazy things, and sure maybe one of those things may include distracting you from the pain in your knee. I promise you, that is not worth it in the least. It is very easy to overdose on, you can get HIV from unclean needles, and it's highly, highly addictive. Also, trying to kick the stuff was one of the most horrible experiences of my life, and I promise you it will be of yours too. Don't listen to your friend. Stay far away from that crap.

I really do hope you can get rid of that pain in your knee.
PM me if you ever need anything.
-Dylan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: pain management? - August 12th 2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus209 View Post
About 6 months ago, while I was playing football for my sunday league team I was involved in a pretty bad tackle and as a result I badly damaged my knee, mainly the cartilage. The area around it hurts alot, and I was perscribed initially ibuprofen to help manage the pain but when that didnt seem to help I was eventually given a type of "opioid" (codeine something).

I may have got some of the medical terms wrong there but basically the area around my knee hurts alot. The drugs aren't helping as much as I want them to, they ease the pain but it doesn't really go away. but my parents are fairly convinced that I'm either lying or it's in my head because this is so long after the original incident...

Is it possible that it is all in my head, am i addicted to them??

After that question, this may sound hippocritical, but...My friend has told me that he's heard that heroin can help me to get rid of the pain, but im really not sure how reliable this information is. Is there a possibility that this could completely get rid of all the pain?
Depending on the injury and where it is and such, the pain and damage will be longer. Over the Internet I have no clue how badly damaged it is so I'll leave that part out.

As for heroin and codeine, the two along with morphine, are all from the same plant. So yes, they are all opiates. From a purely chemical view, they have different structures and different strengths, codeine being the weakest legal and morphine being one of the top legal ones. Heroin is stronger than morphine but if the pain is still too much then you could go onto morphine or something with similar strength (i.e. oxycodone).

Heroin probably would help your pain as it metabolizes to morphine then codeine. However, that is not a reason to take it. I'm very sure it would remove your pain, however, oxycodone or morphine should do the trick.

Do bare in mind that they all do have a risk of addiction and heroin has the highest of the lot and codeine has the lowest.

Have you gotten your knee examined to see the damage? I'm aware that knee damage can be fairly painful as mine (one more than the other) hurt a hell of a lot mostly due to them not being born properly along with some sports injuries. I don't use pain meds for them as usually it's not too bad unless I walk a hell of a lot.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
markus209 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: pain management? - August 12th 2009, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the advice

Ye I am going to go back to the doctor, and yournightmare, thanks, is good to know that other people are getting through similar situations fine

The other day I had a particuarly bad day, so I was over reacting really when I wrote this article, both of you a right, taking heroin is not a good solution to the pain

Thanks again for the advice

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: pain management? - August 14th 2009, 02:03 PM

Seeing as everything seems to be settled here, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. Thank you everyone for posting and good job on the choice to stay away from heroin. It is, in my mind, the smarter decision. I hope everything works out and if you have anymore questions - feel free to make a new thread. If anyone has a problem with me closing this thread - please PM me. Take care :]

-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread