TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Can You Get Addicted? - January 20th 2009, 07:50 PM

I was talking to my boyfriend about weed awhile ago. He used to smoke every weekend basically. Some of his friends smoke, his brothers smokes a lot, so do his brothers friends.
He told me that you CAN'T get addicted to weed. I was wondering if this was true because well it took him about 6+ months to stop smoking all together when he tried to stop. And I DO know people who go a lil crazy when they can't get to it. So, what do YOU GUYS think??
I'm just curious.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 20th 2009, 08:40 PM

Yes, you can get addicted. Not physically though, which is the argument for a lot of people. But mentally you can get addicted to nearly everything.

It is different than tobacco though where your body flips out (you have withdrawals) sometimes if you stop suddenly and so forth.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 20th 2009, 10:28 PM

Yes you can get addicted to it. As a general rule, drugs (I refer to drugs to include all medications and illegal / legal drugs for simplicity sake) tend to have an effect on one's brain (functional tolerance and tachyphylaxis) or metabolic tolerance (liver). In the case of pot, it affects the brain. With pot, you will still get "physical dependence" on the drug. When you take some drug, the body attempts to counteract whatever the drug does. When you go off the drug, the body is still counteracting, and as a result, produces the opposite and unpleasent effects. In this sense there is some physical dependence because you want to get the good feeling again, and consequently, over time, need to take more and more as you will become tolerant to it.

NOTE: Tachyphylaxis is NOT the same as functional tolerance. It's more closely related to it than metabolic tolerance because it too affects the brain. I'm not sure off-hand what drugs actually cause tachyphylaxis but there's not a lot. Most either do metabolic, functional or both.

With tobacco, the drug affects your respiratory system in ways which we all know, and also affects the brain (i.e. can relieve stress). Because ciggerates also have functional tolerance, they too will have a physical dependence.

With all drugs that act on the brain, if you stop taking them immediately you will get a big withdrawl. It's better to not stop immediately but rather gradually decrease to get a smaller, less intense withdrawl. Alternatively, you stop drug A all together but go onto a less harmful, less addictive drug B and then stop drug B. Or, you take what are called antibuses. These are drugs that bring out more of the bad side-effects that people want to avoid, such as for alcoholism, when you stop, you get a hangover. The antibuse for that is called disulfuram which brings out more hangovers, nausea, etc... so you stop drinking. After all, drinking now is no longer pleasent, it's bad, so you're a lot more likely to stop it. It works by interfering with the pathway for ethanol (you can look that up yourself, this isn't the place to explain it).

Anyways, yes you can get addicted to pot. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. You can also get addicted to ciggerates. Both have a physical dependence. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Either that, or the medical pharmacology course and textbook last year, as well as the whole field in general of pharmacology are complete bullshit (ignoring the immense research).

However, with pot alone, it's hard to get such a large dose that'd kill you. What you may do on pot may kill you but the actual drug requires a huge amount. I don't think we're allowed to say these amounts on here but it's quite a lot and needs to be taken in a time span of 15 minutes or less (this is an average).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 20th 2009, 10:31 PM

Nightmare-

Do you have anything saying you can get physically addicted? Not that I don't believe you, just we were talking about it in psychology today and our teacher said that you can't get physically addicted. She showed us some studies, maybe they weren't accurate?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 20th 2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
Nightmare-

Do you have anything saying you can get physically addicted? Not that I don't believe you, just we were talking about it in psychology today and our teacher said that you can't get physically addicted. She showed us some studies, maybe they weren't accurate?
"In other words, the effects produced by nicotine, and the behaviors associated with smoking, become necessary to maintain the person’s optimal state of well-being. This condition is referred to as “psychological dependence.” "
http://www.smoking-cessation.org/smo..._addiction.asp

"This is because smokers not only become physically addicted to nicotine; there is a strong emotional (psychological) aspect and they often link smoking with many social activities. All of these factors make smoking a hard habit to break. "
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...te_Smoking.asp

"Nicotine is also known for being a cause of physical dependence, though many people admit to smoking cigarettes in a social environment only. Others need to keep smoking very regularly to achieve a balance, and to suppress withdrawal"
http://www.beatingaddictions.co.uk/P...ependence.html

With nicotine, there's both physical and psychological. I'm curious as to what these studies were. Seeing as how it's a psychology class, it's more reasonable to focus on the psychological effects but one shouldn't simply ignore the physical ones.

You can get physically addicted as well as psychologically.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
four Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 22nd 2009, 02:22 PM

Okay... I think we all know you can become physically addicted to nicotine, but none of what you refrenced backs up your statement that marijuana is physically addictive, as well... every scientific study I have ever seen contradicts you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
NEVERSHOUTNEVER<3
Average Joe

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 22nd 2009, 02:24 PM

you cant physicaly get addicted to it...you think your addicted when yournot-.-
its WAY differnt than smoking ciggz. smoking ciggz. you get phyicaly addicted.,..not weed though:]

how stubborn are the scars when they wont fade away..or just a gentle reminder that now are better days
<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 22nd 2009, 05:15 PM

I actually did a paper on this for one of my social science courses. Weed is mentally and emotionally addiction, NOT physically addicting, though that doesn't make it any better. A person develops an addition to the feelings they experience when under the influences. One of my teachers suggested looking for information from a rehab facility, and I found a breif overview of the topic on this site; which I used for my paper.

http://www.spencerrecovery.com/marijuana-addiction.html

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#9 (permalink)) Old
allikuja Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 22nd 2009, 09:12 PM

weed is only psychologically addictive...like gambling, shopping, or anything somebody does obsessively because they're addicted to the fact that it makes them feel good

weed is not chemically addictive, your body does not become dependent upon it and you don't go through withdrawl like you would with nicotine or other addictive substances.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 23rd 2009, 11:09 PM

I think we're all getting mixed up with terminology. The basis of the psychological addiction is the physical problem Nightmare described. The difference between a pot addiction and a shopping addiction is that it's a chemical in weed (THC) that reacts with your body to produce the feelings of happiness you get addicted to. In shopping, it's a "rush" your body gives itself when you shop.

The "withdrawl" symptoms of weed are more "I miss the happiness I had when I was high. My brain has stopped producing that happiness by itself since it had the weed to do it for me." It is a chemical reaction in your brain that no longer happens. I dunno if you wanna call that "chemically addictive" or not...

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 24th 2009, 07:34 AM

You can get addicted to anything that your body becomes accustomed to. It may be physical or it may be completely a mental addiction but anyone can become addicted to anything.
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MetaIce Offline
Average Joe

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 24th 2009, 10:42 AM

Ok, guys, debating this with each other isn't going to help the OP. If you have a site or something that backs up what you're saying, please put that along with whatever you're saying.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Undefined
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessi

Re: Can You Get Addicted? - January 25th 2009, 01:44 PM

Speaking from personal experience, the experiences I've seen with my friends AND what I've been told in my psychology class, pot is a mentally addictive substance, but not a physically addicting one. As far as I know and have seen, people don't go insane from not having pot or get really sick and start throwing up. They do get irritable and may not perform at their best for a while, but that's just because the feeling of being high is something that you get really attached to. It's like masturbation (or orgasm in general). You don't get physically addicted to it, per se, but there are a lot of people who don't feel like they can make it a day without it. They get irritable and (in the case of guys) get what they call "blue balls", but they don't start throwing up or hallucinating or anything. It can even be compared to a child who has a safety blanket. They take it everywhere with them because it makes them feel better. When you take it away, they feel bad, but they don't start throwing up (unless they cry alot or someothing). Eventually, after not having it, they get used to it.

So, no. In the physical sense, marijuana is not addictive. Mentally, however, it is. Marijuana is not like heroin, and I wish people would quit veiwing it so terribly.

Closed Thread