TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JenniferxMarie Offline
alone.
Average Joe

Name: Jenn

besides cold turkey... - September 9th 2009, 10:46 PM

any home remides you know that work to quit smoking.

It is the most disgusting habit ever, yet I find myself needing just a little to get my through the day not to use drugs or anything else.

Bad part is I will be sitting in class I heard the words smoking my mouth and body say you need it you can't quit. It helps me feel less stressed but I HATE IT seriously but I feel like I need it. I feels sick after and just sluggish. Yet my mom smokes then when she does my receptors go "YOU NEED IT"

help?

Jennifer Marie
"learn how to apologize, learn how to say
'i love you' to someone other than your cat
and mean it, learn how to express yourself,
learn how to smile a "fuck you"
regardless of the outdated traditions,
the talentless critics or what is fashionable or give up."

Send a message via MSN to JenniferxMarie  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: besides cold turkey... - September 9th 2009, 11:16 PM

Hey Jenn,

I never personally had a problem quitting, I don't know why. But I know smoking is a difficult thing to drop for the better part of society. And I honestly believe that the best way to achieve your goal is to try again and again and never give up. Because people relapse, and going cold turkey can be hard. But you can do it if you're willing to keep your eyes on the goal you want.

Though, I do know that gum helps a lot. Gum or things that you can suck on for more than a quick minute. If I were you, I would bring some good flavoured gum with you, that tends to last a little longer. This way, when you want a smoke and you're on the go - you can chew some of those. Have as many as you like too. Another thing a friend of mine tried was Popsicles when she was home and craving. Whenever she wanted a smoke or felt she needed one, she would break open one of those and suck on that. They can taste great and last a while too. It might keep you busy from thinking about your craving too.

Remember to keep going and it's okay if you want to slowly cut back too. Try to keep away from those that smoke or help you continue to smoke as well. Tell all your close friends you're wanting to quit so they can help and support you too. Don't be afraid to utilize them as well. I hope this works out for you, good luck. Take care.

Have hope,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: besides cold turkey... - September 10th 2009, 02:55 AM

Hey Jen.

Smoking is a hard thing to quit, I still smoke myself, so this is something I cant say I've really tried. But, as Melissa has mentioned, gum can be helpful, maybe even the stuff that is made to help you quit, Nicorette? Also the nicotine patches are worth a shot. Cold turkey can be good if you can keep the will up, and you will probably feel really rewarded if you can keep up that kind of will power!

On a side note, ask your mom to not smoke around you, because that is half the problem, being exposed to it when you're trying to quit. Sure, you'll have to be around it sometimes, and in certain situations it's unavoidable. But, if you can control it as much as possible, the temptation will be way less. Try messing around with a pencil, or pen or something that you can keep in your hand, so you don't feel the habit of needing something in your hand?

Best of luck with this, I know you can do it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Re: besides cold turkey... - September 10th 2009, 05:51 AM

Heyy Jenn. [:

First off, let me say I know how hard it is to quit smoking. I've been there. I had to slowly cut back. I tried the cold turkey method, and it just wasn't for me. As others have stated, gum is a good substitute. Whenever I had the urge, I'd shove it in my mouth, and it worked for a little bit. Lollipops and popsicles seemed to work well too, however just not as convenient as gum was.

I also know what it's like to be around someone still smoking. My boyfriend at the time still smoked too, all the time around me, and it was torture. I eventually had to tell him to stop because it was just putting me back a million steps. I'd seriously talk to your Mom and let her know that you're trying to quit, and she's just making it worse for you. Sure, she may get upset, but she cares about you, and loves you, so she'll understand.

If you ever need to vent, or just talk, I'm just a PM away. =]

Hang in there, love. You can do this. I know it. <3

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

Closed Thread