TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

My friend - September 13th 2009, 04:01 PM

My friend likes getting drunk a lot. She's only fifteen, but she gets drunk probably once or twice a week. I'm not sure how long she's been doing it for; I've only known her for a few months. Me and loads of her other friends worry about what it's gonna do to her. She insists that she won't turn into an alcoholic, but that's not the only bad thing that comes from drinking loads of alcohol from a young age. And she's such a hypocrite about it. I got a little bit tipsy on holiday, and when I told her about it, she was all worried, warning me not to drink any more, to make sure I'm getting enough water, etc. Yet she goes and gets completely drunk loads. I'm really worried that something awful will happen to her, like she'll get some form of liver problems, or something like that. But she never listens when we tell her that we - me and other friends - worry about her. I don't know what to do ='(

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My friend - September 13th 2009, 04:16 PM

Hey Jessy!

I want to start by saying that it's so awesome that you (and your other friends) care so much about this girl. She's so lucky to have people like you on her side. I understand your concerns competely, I'll do my best to answer what you need.

Okay, so talking to her is the obvious first step, and always is in a situation like this. Make her see that everyone is worried, and that she needs to at least cut back. Surely I don't need to remind you that underage drinking is in fact illegal, and there could be problems down the road for her in that respect. I know what people will say, that teenage drinking is a phase, it's common, most go though it. This may be (partially) true, but that doesn't make it okay. She can still do severe damage to her body if she drinks a lot.

To answer your concerns about her body, I chose this site mostly for the liver part, because that is wht you requested. However, it does have a lot of other information about other parts of the osdy and the functioning after long periods of alcohol abuse. Read it over, you'll learn quite bit. Maybe even show it to her if you can't get through to her by talking. You can find that site here.

Now, this may seem a bit extreme, but you can also suggest AA prorgrams, or at least pull up some sites they have, and find their programs and tips (seeing as getting her there at 15 may be a bit tricky). And lastly, I want to point you to our video section here, that has a video about helping friends, you may find it interesing.

Take your time, be patient with her and remind her that you're there for her 100%. You're a great friend Jessy, keep it up! I know you guys can get through this

Don't be shy to PM me if you ever need any help, or have any questions.
-Dylan.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: My friend - September 14th 2009, 01:47 PM

I wouldn't consider drinking once or twice a week a lot to be honest. Maybe for a 15 year old, but unless she starts to noticeably have an issue with her drinking i'd just be cool about it and look out for her.

Closed Thread