TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thecurious Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Help, Children of Alcoholics - September 17th 2009, 05:13 PM

Hi....

My boyfriend and I have been together for awhile now, and have always been very close. However, his mom has a drinking problem. It's affected our relationship before (she verbally attacked me while drunk once) and brought us both closer and caused some arguments. I try my best to be understanding, but I don't know to relate. In our relationship, he's truly opened up to me about it about twice. Other times, he just acts apathetic to the whole thing or doesn't want talk about it at all. His family is very private and proud and isn't consistent with the whole issue; sometimes they acknowledge it, most of the time they don't. As a result, I can't talk to anyone about it. We live away from home now, but I know it still affects him.

I have no idea how he's feeling about it, or what he needs me to do in order to be supportive as possible. I don't want to push him into talking about it, as he just becomes upset and I have no idea how to help anyway. Please, if anyone has grown up with a problem drinker, can you give me some insight into what he needs or how he's feeling?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Pavan

Re: Help, Children of Alcoholics - September 17th 2009, 08:32 PM

As a daughter of an alcoholic, generally, I just felt scared.

Like I never knew when my dad would get drunk and attack me again or something like that.

It's not a good experience. In general I found myself not wanting to talk about it, as it would make me think of all the things that have happened while he was drunk.

It's important that when you talk about it, he brings it up. If he brings it up it means he wants to talk about it. Most of the time though, I found it was a subject I'd much rather avoid.

It's a feeling of lack of respect for someone you should adore, and more likely than not, most children of alcoholics feel guilty for that reason.

Hope I helped here, feel free to PM me with any questions
xx

What a shame, what a shame
To judge a life that you can't change
The choir sings, the church bells ring
So won't you give this man his wings?
What a shame to have to beg you to
See we're not all the same, what a shame
  Send a message via MSN to Woo! Imagination xD  
Closed Thread