TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Pot and binge eating - January 23rd 2009, 10:09 AM

Why does smoking pot make you so hungry? When I smoke I just can't stop eating... I have an ED and it's been bothering me really bad lately.
It messes with my healthy eating schedual (the one I'm trying to put together till I go to treatment) and gets me all screwed up.
Is the only option not to smoke it?, or is there a way for me to avoid binging like crazy when I smoke.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
four Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pot and binge eating - January 23rd 2009, 11:53 AM

Yeah, that is just a side effect of pot, the munchies. Only real way to avoid it is not to smoke.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pot and binge eating - January 23rd 2009, 06:54 PM

Either stop smoking it or have self control when you do get the munchies and try to occupy yourself. Either that or just try to eat healthy food to combat the munchies, it may not be as good as not resisting the munchies but its better than filling up on chocolate, crisps and other foods which most people crave when they get the munchies.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
KCisforMe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Matt

Re: Pot and binge eating - January 23rd 2009, 07:50 PM

Pot has a chemical in it that makes you hungry. That's why AIDS or Cancer patients often use it medicinally. It is an appetite stimulant.

There are a few things you can do.

1. You can attempt to ignore the munchies when you are high

2. You can gorge yourself on junk food.

3. You can quit smoking cannabis altogether

4. You can use your munchies to develop good habits by eating fruits and vegetables!

I'd go with number 4 (by the way fruits and veggies taste even better when your high!)
  Send a message via AIM to KCisforMe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Pot and binge eating - January 23rd 2009, 11:02 PM

If course, quitting is the healthiest for you body. But barring that...
#4 is the way to go, for sure. When I first started smoking, I only wanted cookies and Rice Krispie squares. Right before I quit, I'd changed it to carrots. When I was high, I just couldn't get enough carrots!!! The last time I got high, my friend and I smoked up, then went into a grocery store to buy me those cute baby carrots and we were in the supermarket when it "kicked in." Hilarious, but not advisable

Also, you mentioned you have an ED. Think about how pot will affect your treatment. Would it be easier just to quit now?

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Pot and binge eating - January 24th 2009, 09:25 AM

Well if I can't get a handle on this, I'm just not gonna smoke it, but the idea of eating healthy things when I get the munchies sound's like a really good idea. I think I may try that. If I could do that, it may actually help me keep eating... because when I'm off it, I just don't eat...

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MetaIce Offline
Average Joe

Re: Pot and binge eating - January 24th 2009, 10:37 AM

Cannabis IS a stimulant, so as the others have said, you'll have the urge to eat while under the influence of it. And as Matt said, just eat healthy things or quit.

Closed Thread