TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LadyLeila Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leila

Unhappy Help me help my friend, please - September 27th 2009, 05:47 AM

I just have no idea what to do anymore.

My best friend is a freshmen in highschool, I am a sophomore a grade ahead of her. I have always been the one to get good grades and be a good influence on her while she has been the crazy trouble-maker.

During the last school year her grades slipped horribly, she got a terrible boyfriend, she began drinking again, and now more recently began using pot. Even more recently she slept with her slimeball boyfriend. She said the only reason she had sex with him was because she thought that she "owed it to him", oh and did I mention that he had sex with two other girls while they were dating in the past month and a half?

Anyway, she is convinced that she will never amount to anything; that she will be some crack-whore prostitute living on the streets and that her family will hate her too much to help her. So she doesn't bother trying. She is so incredibly smart it pains me to see her fail so miserably to drugs and alcohol.

What can I do? She is throwing her life away. I think that she needs to give up all of her low life friends, switch schools, see a therapist, and just get over this whole thing. I know that wouldn't be easy for anyone, but she needs to do it. The only thing is that it is almost impossible to help her if she doesn't want the help to begin with. She has a chance if she stops now before things escalate to a whole new level. Please help me. How can I help her?

--Alexa Lauren

Never regret something that once made you smile...

...Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Help me help my friend, please - September 28th 2009, 03:27 PM

If her habits are taking a toll on her grades and life, you should most definitely tell somebody about it and get her the help she needs.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: Help me help my friend, please - September 28th 2009, 10:07 PM

tell a teacher or councler. she may get mad at you or say mean things to you, but honestly it will help her and she will thank you one day. esp if shes is your best friend. but before you do that, maybe talk to her. tell her what you are seeing and what you think and how she can and should change it. if that dosent work, then go to a trusted adult that you know can and will help. guarentee she'll be mad, but she will change and later in life will look back and thank you! my pm box is ALWAYS open if you need to talk.

All my love,
Cherry

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Help me help my friend, please - September 29th 2009, 04:16 AM

If you're going to tackle the problem, either by yourself or by having someone else help, then you need to see the two main problems that are present. First, her using the various drugs. Second, her depression, low self-esteem, having less concern over what she does to harm herself, being in denial, etc... . So the problem isn't simply getting her off the drugs, it's also addressing the depression and other symptoms because if you only get her off the drugs, then you still haven't addressed the other large problem.

Closed Thread