TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Question A silly question but.. - January 3rd 2010, 07:13 PM

Can smoking weed be really harmful? My mate smokes it at the weekend when she drinks (bearing in mind she is the same age as me - 16). and she seems to be fine. But a teacher told me at school that her boyfriend got really paranoid smoking it.

Anyone smoke weed or have any answer?

Thanks, Laura_xx

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A silly question but.. - January 3rd 2010, 07:51 PM

it's not a silly question.. ahh, talk to frank..

Quote:
Even hardcore smokers can become anxious, panicky, suspicious or paranoid.
Cannabis affects your coordination, which is one of the reasons why drug driving is just as illegal as drink driving.
Some people think cannabis is harmless just because it’s a plant – but it isn’t harmless. Cannabis, like tobacco, has lots of chemical 'nasties', which can cause lung disease and possibly cancer with long-term or heavy use, especially as it is often mixed with tobacco and smoked without a filter. It can also make asthma worse, and cause wheezing in non-asthma sufferers.
Cannabis itself can affect many different systems in the body, including the heart: It increases the heart rate and can affect blood pressure.
If you’ve a history of mental health problems, then taking cannabis is not a good idea: It can cause paranoia in the short term, but in those with a pre-existing psychotic illness, such as schizophrenia, it can contribute to relapse.
If you use cannabis and have a family background of mental illness, such as schizophrenia, you may be at increased risk of developing a psychotic illness.
It is reported that frequent use of cannabis can cut a man's sperm count, reduce sperm motility, and can suppress ovulation in women and so may affect fertility.
If you’re pregnant, smoking cannabis frequently may have some association with the risk of the baby being born smaller than expected.
Regular, heavy use makes it difficult to learn and concentrate. Some people begin to feel tired all the time and can't seem to get motivated.
Some users may want to buy strong herbal cannabis to get ‘a bigger high’ but unpleasant reactions can be more powerful when you use strong cannabis, and it is possible that using strong cannabis repeatedly could lead in time to more users experiencing harmful effects such as dependence or being more at risk of developing the mental health effects.
a lot of people will tell you theres nothing wrong with smoking cannabis, and although it is a relatively safe drug in comparison with a lot of other things, it's not without risk. personally, i think it's pointless.. but that's just me.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: A silly question but.. - January 4th 2010, 03:04 AM

Weed isn't the best thing to ever happen, but it isn't the worst either. Usually paranoia is the worst effect you can get from smoking weed, and it does happen. This is usually because you're mindset going in to getting high, or just a predisposition.

It's obviously not all that healthy physically, but really if your friend is being safe while she's high, such as not driving, not having tons of sex, not getting taken advantage of, and truly does want to smoke and wasn't pressured in to it, I wouldn't worry too much. Where the problem usually lies is when you're willing to put pot before your friends in my opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: A silly question but.. - January 5th 2010, 01:41 AM

Ok I smoked weed for quite a while back in the day and let me tell you it does alter ones personality. Although people will say its not addicting that’s only half truth because its extremely hobbit forming. Weed isn’t a serious drug although it does have some rather significant side affects to you when you get older.

Scientists also have just recently proven that smoking weed at a young age (14 – 20) actually alters the brain and its normal functions making the user’s personality change and others characteristics along with that. Aside from what you hear from your teachers and parents its actually not that bad but its still a drug and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: A silly question but.. - January 5th 2010, 04:23 AM

It's not a silly question but there's already a million posts on this topic, but since i've heard this question so many times before i'll help ya out.

First of all, smoking and the effects differs completly person to person and the amount and number of times you do it. Personally I used to never get paranoid smoking and i've been smoking for 3 years and now I can't smoke without taking a xanax first. Side effects of pot include paranoia, anxiety, increased heart rate, risk for respiratory illness, giggles, hunger, feeling of floatiness, and if you smoke a joint, or a blunt wrap or pretty much anything with tobacco residue, you're risking the increase of developing cancer or tarring your lungs. In short, Pot is heavily made out to be worse then it really is and you can't die from it and you can't physically become addicted to it, but if you let it happen, you can do damage to yourself and potentially others as well. Try doing unbiased research and not from internet sites that are governmentally funded like my ever favorite erowid.org.

Closed Thread