TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shayjaggers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shayla

Cigarettes - January 13th 2010, 05:32 AM

All right, I'm not really sure if smoking tobacco is considered substance abuse. If it isn't, I would appreciate knowing which forum to go to =)
Anyways, I'm addicted to cigarettes and I was curious as to what methods people have used to quit, as I want to.
Any suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Cigarettes - January 13th 2010, 12:13 PM

I quit cold turkey. My partner did the same, as did my mother. Statistics say it's a pretty unreliable way to quit, but there are three examples for you. (: It did help me that I quit at the same time as my mother, so I gained a "no smoking buddy." What really motivated me, though, was telling people. Once I'd told my loved ones I was quitting, I'd have felt pretty awful if they found out I hadn't really quit.

Cold turkey doesn't work for all people. If you don't have luck with this method, why not trying speaking to your doctor about help quitting? There are patches and gums and all sorts of stop smoking aides.

When you decide you're ready to quit, take the money you put into smoking (to buy cigarettes, lighters/matches, gum to hide the smell, etc) and save it up. Don't pay bills with it or buy groceries with it--if you could spare it last month, you can spare it now, yeah? Then do something nice for yourself. This is a great incentive. You smoke because you enjoy it, and so by quitting you are giving up something you enjoy. Yes, it is bad for you, but that doesn't make it any easier to do. By replacing this unhealthy habit with something else that you enjoy, that IS healthy, hopefully you'll have more motivation to stay quit. (:

Good luck!

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes - January 13th 2010, 09:08 PM

gum patches whatever helps take the edge off enough that u dont need a smoke

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Shayjaggers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shayla

Re: Cigarettes - January 13th 2010, 10:19 PM

Thank you for your advice =)
This is the second time I've started smoking. I quit the first time after my psychologist prescribed wellbutrin to try helping with my depression. While it did help me quit smoking, it made my anxiety unbearable so I don't think thats an option this time. I'm considering quitting cold turkey, but the first time I tried I found myself shaking and crying for no reason. Is that normal?
At the moment I can't afford gum or patches, but I'm considering them after I get a job.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hominis Offline
Life and death in every step.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeremy [Ghost]

Re: Cigarettes - January 13th 2010, 10:54 PM

Hey Shayla.

Just so you know, what you felt when you quit last time with the welbutrin and the anxiety skyrocketing, it is very much a normal thing. Cigarettes curb your anxiety, make you less feel better, etc. As Jessie suggested, you should try to find someone to quit with you, that way you have that much more of an incentive to quit.

It's also a great idea, as Jessie suggested, to save the money and buy something for yourself in the long run. Treat and reward yourself for quitting. There are websites out there that will actually give you patches and gum for free as an incentive to quit. Perhaps that would be something to look into?

All in all, quitting smoking isn't a walk in the park, and it sure as hell isn't easy, but if you've got a support system there for you? Use it. Use TeenHelp, if you have too. I do wish you luck.

-Jer.

.never tickle a sleeping dragon.
  Send a message via AIM to Hominis Send a message via MSN to Hominis Send a message via Skype™ to Hominis 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
J4K3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jake

Re: Cigarettes - January 14th 2010, 08:36 AM

You need strong will power and nicotine replacement.. If your english the NHS give you quit smoking stuff free

Send a message via MSN to J4K3  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: Cigarettes - January 14th 2010, 03:20 PM

It is hard to quite smoking, although I did it cold turkey. You need to have some people around you that support your quitting and are willing to help you. Gum seems like a good route! Have you ever seen a video on what smoking does to your lungs and brain. Watch one it will make you never want to smoke again!

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BlaqkLiiteX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsea

Re: Cigarettes - January 22nd 2010, 08:14 PM

I quit smoking for a while using Chantix, but I absolutely DO NOT recommend it.
Everyone I know who has used it has had all the same problems. When I used it if I took a whole pill it made me sick to my stomach. It made me.. not so much depressed, but like.. unable to enjoy anything or be legitimately happy. I have heard of people having nightmares from it, but I only ever had really vivid dreams which.. wasn't so bad haha.
It DOES work and it's really nice because you can just keep smoking until you don't feel like you need to anymore, but it wasn't worth it. I had to quit taking it and when I quit taking it I started smoking again.

I still haven't quit successfully and I can't really give you and advice on how to quit, but thought I'd share my experience with one method.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Cigarettes - January 23rd 2010, 07:55 PM

There's that nicorette stuff, I don't know if it actually works though. Or you could try and switch to chewing gum everytime you want to smoke. I also saw a commercial for this clip thing that goes on your ear, it actually makes your brain stop thinking about smoking, I forget what its called.
A friend's sister of mine did hypnosis, to stop smoking, never touched another cigarette since. So, you could try that too if you're brave enough. Good luck!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Cigarettes - January 23rd 2010, 08:34 PM

I used gum to help myself stop smoking. Then I used a healthier gum (for my teeth) to replace that gum. Then I got sick of that gum in general.

It helps if you distract yourself, I always craved when I was bored.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#11 (permalink)) Old
victoria101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Victoria

Re: Cigarettes - February 5th 2010, 12:44 PM

honestly its not going to be easy, but depending on how many ciggs you smoke i day if you smoke 4 then for a week some your normal amount of ciggs. then the next week cut down to 3 and then the next week 2. ect. if that dosent help i wuld start using the gum or patch.
Good luck~

Closed Thread