TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
justDucky Offline
Not a n00b

confused? - February 1st 2009, 08:25 PM

I have amazing friends and I would do anything for them. They are always there for me but I have just two problems.

I started to drink when I was 12 because I was upset with life and a bunch of other things. It was emotional drinking. Not the greatest idea but w/e. Now I still drink because of emotional issues but I also drink because my friends are drinking. I know that I shouldn't because of my moods but they make me feel like I have to drink or it's not okay. I HATE drinking. Usually it depends on my mood, but like everything else that can back fire on me as quickly as the first feeling I had. How can I tell them that a) its not okay for me to drink and b) i really am not into it as much as you are. Once in a while like for a birthday or something fine but I don't want to everyday/weekend.

I started smoking weed back in october/november of 2008. I get why they want to I can see how they get on it but I don't get that way. It does absolutely nothing for me. But yet like drinking if they are smoking I will too. I don't know how to not just "follow the crowd".

I don't care they they do it and I feel obligated to do it with them but I don't want to. How can I get them to stop pressuring me [even though they dont]. I'm just at a loss at to what to do now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Christinaa317o8 Offline
Christina
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Christina

Re: confused? - February 1st 2009, 11:01 PM

I know how you feel. I've had the same problem minus the weed. I was scared that eventually alcohol would become an addiction that I didn't want. I told my bestfirend, she hasn't changed but I never asked her to, I just wanted her to listen and she did. She supports my desicion but she doesn't know how to show it. I'm sure that your friends will be supportive and if not, you'll know you are doing whats best for you. Because you are, you're respecting yourself and that is really really important. You need to remember that you can control what you eat and drink and do. You don't have to do anything you don't want to and although it may not be intentional, friends can deffiniately put a lot of pressure on you. You are doing whats right by sticking to what you feel is best for you, don't give up on it, you just have to know that this is what you want and be confident!! Tell them you had problems and still do with drinking alcohol as a substitute for facing harsh emotions, tell them that you can have fun without drugs or alcohol, you've done it before right? Tell them its something you really don't want in your life as much as they do.
  Send a message via AIM to Christinaa317o8  
Closed Thread