TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JeremyMcBacter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 12:05 AM

This has to be a sad sad day in history for all you pot smokers out there well at least the men anyway. According to a story just posted on The Independent news site it ... Read >I just have to go outside and sit with the chooks for a minute . . . -]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 01:09 AM

This isn't going to stop smoking it might decrease it.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 01:32 AM

lol
I was never attracted to pot smokers anyway...Now I have one more reason :P

P.S. Shouldn't this go in Drugs and Alcohol? Just wondering.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; February 11th 2009 at 01:51 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 07:26 PM

Moved to Drugs and Alcohol.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 07:37 PM

It may decrease the smoking but definately won't stop it completely.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
guyofpain Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cody

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 09:20 PM

For the male pot smokers it might go down a 'bit'.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 10:10 PM

Until more conclusive evidence is put forward I'm going to keep on toking.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 11th 2009, 11:27 PM

i'm just curious. Why are you unattracted to pot smokers?

I'm not really sure I believe that article anyway. There are plenty of other factors that could link those people to cancer and they said it was a very small amount of men who developed that who also smoke weed.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 04:20 AM

better source not a gossip website

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lee Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lee Awesome

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 11:05 AM

Here are some 'better' sources

http://www.nbcwashington.com/health/...r-Cancer-.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,489866,00.html

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...r.html?ref=rss

If you google 'testicular cancer' along with 'pot smoking' you will get many more hits.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.Sarah. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 02:03 PM

As Lee basically said, google is your friend people. Hmm I don't think it will make much difference myself, but you never know.

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me. - Harry Potter

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."
- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumblordore

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 02:06 PM

Lee...you just sourced fauxnews and other sites renowned for their bias.
I feel I just have to point that out...
I mean, I haven't done my own independent research on this, (yet), but I feel I should just point out that one ought to be sceptical of information such as this, especially when posted on such inherently unreliable sources.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 06:32 PM

Just wanted to post some more links I found on this. I will wait for more research to come out (though I don't smoke anyway).

BBCNews
USNews
MedicalNewsToday
MedlinePlus - National Institutes of Health

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#14 (permalink)) Old
brendanmonline Offline
I'm here to help :)
Average Joe

Name: Brendan

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 08:54 PM

Some people would rather get baked than have two balls.

"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 09:17 PM

Aw well alot of stuff gives yah cancer.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 12th 2009, 09:48 PM

Not to say that marijuana can't/doesn't cause testicular cancer, but right now that theory is only in the hypothesis stage. More testing is required:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Also, according to wikipedia, your chance of developing testicular cancer in your lifetime is 0.4%. That is for all testicular cancer, and the study only showed a correlation between marijuana use and the occurrence of nonseminoma, which accounts for 40% of all testicular cancer cases.

Fingers crossed on this one, I want to be able to keep my bong and my balls.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...ot-cancer.html

(#17 (permalink)) Old
James_Bond Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 03:53 AM

For the love of god and all that is holy. Will somebody please teach these morons that a correlation is NOT a causation?

It's been proven multiple times that mary jane is not a carcinogen. Some of the elements in the smoke might be, but leave the cancer worries to the cigarette smokers, that's actually been proven.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 04:02 AM

LOL, wikipedia? That's not a trustworthy source at all, it may be a bit worse than some news sites (i.e. foxnews).

All of the news articles posted simply have correlations, nothing causal (as more research definately needs to be done) so until then, I don't see it having a large impact on the pot users.

mr_null: the interscience link didn't work for me. The cbc one you posted was the same as the one Lee posted.

Edit: Just saw what James_Bond wrote. Thank you, someone seems to have some understanding.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 04:30 AM

Oh the denial. O.o

Regardless of whether it's a theory, or proven... I'd stop, if I smoked. That's like saying masturbation might make your balls fall off. I'd stop just because I'd rather not risk it. It's sort of strange to see that people are so addicted to getting high that they're willing to be castrated by the time they're 25.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 07:54 AM

I'm waiting till the next time my female roommates get high - us guys are all too smart for that - then blurting this out, just to see how they react.

Really though, I don't think I'll ever quite "get" pot-smokers. I can grasp the concept of the appeal logically, but then I can say the same of religion. Pure-blood atheist, if you couldn't guess.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Oh the denial. O.o

Regardless of whether it's a theory, or proven... I'd stop, if I smoked. That's like saying masturbation might make your balls fall off. I'd stop just because I'd rather not risk it. It's sort of strange to see that people are so addicted to getting high that they're willing to be castrated by the time they're 25.
Whats the point of having balls if you can't use um? I if I was a guy and told my balls would fall off from masturbation or sex, why stop? Just so I can say I still got um?

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 04:12 PM

Didn't you ever learn in school that Wikipedia is a joke? C'mon man. Anybody can make shit up and stick it on whatever pages you were looking at. Unless there's real and confirmed proof, I don't believe it.

And it's not that people would rather smoke than to have two balls, it's the fact that this isn't proven yet. The men who developed the testicular cancer were a few men who were also linked to smoking marijuana. Note linked. That means pretty much nothing. Just because these dudes all smoking in common doesn't mean they developed cancer from it.

Quote:
Really though, I don't think I'll ever quite "get" pot-smokers. I can grasp the concept of the appeal logically, but then I can say the same of religion. Pure-blood atheist, if you couldn't guess.
er.. what do you mean? There's nothing to "get." It's just a fun activity for some like how sports or smoking cigarettes are to the people who do them. It's just pot. I personally think this is what most people who do not smoke don't understand. Not everyone does what they do for the same reason.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 04:22 PM

I love how this focuses on testicular cancer. What about the risk of lung cancer. Last I checked, you need those to breathe and hence, live.

It's just another way to try and stop pot smoking from increasing, but I'm pretty sure this wont stop the frequent smokers I know.

Like above said, correlation doesn't equal causation.
Once proven, it might decrease the numbers slightly, but nothing will stop them all together.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 04:27 PM

These studies used to annoy me but now I just sit back and smile.

Lets be honest here, if you're smoking pot 90% of the time you're not exactly thinking about what it's doing to your body. 90% of the time, you couldn't care less. It's all about the high.
Government issued studies rarely effect the populations behavior. I can't see this one being any different.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 13th 2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette. View Post
I love how this focuses on testicular cancer. What about the risk of lung cancer. Last I checked, you need those to breathe and hence, live.

It's just another way to try and stop pot smoking from increasing, but I'm pretty sure this wont stop the frequent smokers I know.

Like above said, correlation doesn't equal causation.
Once proven, it might decrease the numbers slightly, but nothing will stop them all together.
Yes, it focuses on testicular cancer because that's what the studies were on. They're interested in one type of cancer so why should they focus on another type that's a bit more well-known? That's not their interest. While we're at it, if there's a study about the effect of alcohol on the body, why not look at the effect of all drugs on the body because all drugs somehow affect the body. That's not how it works, look up some scientific studies and you'll learn this. You learn something new everyday.

Scout: So if I said don't go outside because the lochness monster will beat you to death, would you stay inside? I'll assume you would.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 14th 2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Scout: So if I said don't go outside because the lochness monster will beat you to death, would you stay inside? I'll assume you would.
My friend, cancer is a lot more real than the lochness monster. And if there was research coming out of the woodwork informing me that there was indeed something terrible outside my house, I would proceed with caution.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 14th 2009, 06:24 PM

it also says you have to be on the same level of cigarette smoke to attain it. Means 5+ sessions a day for years

(#28 (permalink)) Old
jessica1122 Offline
Michael's Girl
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 17th 2009, 04:17 PM

The only sexual effect of longterm marijuana smoking in men is decreased sperm count, leading to possible inability to have kids. My uncle has smoked pot for 45 years, hes still alive, has no health problems such as cancer, but he just couldnt get a woman pregnant because he smoked it for so long that once he got to the age he couldnt make sperm cells at all, they couldnt regrow after he killed them. Oh..and by the way it makes it hard if you smoke the seeds(which you arent supposed to) for the male to get his penis stiff.

~~Jessica and Michael~~

We started dating 11/22/08
He told me he loved me on his 8th birthday
And i never believed he still would
After all that time....
until the day that changed my life
  Send a message via Yahoo to jessica1122  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 22nd 2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceSRC View Post
i'm just curious. Why are you unattracted to pot smokers?
I hate the smell. It's the same with cigarette smoking. I hate it and it makes me gag. Plus, I don't want to hang out with a guy who's stoned all the time. It's unattractive to me.

As the other people said before, there needs to be conclusive evidence in order for this to be considered a valid point, but if it was me I wouldn't want to take the risk. If you're so addicted to getting high that you would risk losing your genitalia, it's kind of sad.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#30 (permalink)) Old
JungleBanga Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 22nd 2009, 06:15 AM

To be honest, this isn't going to change my actions, especially if it's only a small proportion. Pretty much everything gives you cancer and I'm gonna die at some point anyway. It's not like as soon as I smoke a joint, I'll develop testicular cancer. Actually, I think I am at a higher risk anyway because I had an undescended testicle when I was young. Also, I don't smoke once a week. Probably once or twice a month.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Slyth Offline
Pronounced sl-eye-th
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Slyth

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 22nd 2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
I hate the smell. It's the same with cigarette smoking. I hate it and it makes me gag. Plus, I don't want to hang out with a guy who's stoned all the time. It's unattractive to me.

As the other people said before, there needs to be conclusive evidence in order for this to be considered a valid point, but if it was me I wouldn't want to take the risk. If you're so addicted to getting high that you would risk losing your genitalia, it's kind of sad.
A guys junk is only valuable is he wants to use it. I personally don't want to have kids, and I really like getting high. It's well worth the risk.

Though, honestly, it's more likely i'll get in a fatal accident driving to get the weed than getting testicular cancer.

I'm cool because I don't have a sig.
  Send a message via AIM to Slyth Send a message via MSN to Slyth Send a message via Yahoo to Slyth Send a message via Skype™ to Slyth 
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 23rd 2009, 03:07 AM

It's not going to change much, if you ask me.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
KCisforMe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Matt

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 23rd 2009, 03:34 AM

I've looked at these studies before, and I yet to see anything that comes close to proving that marijuana smoking leads to testicular cancer or any negative ball-related stuff. The closest I've seen is somewhat of a corellation between heavy use and a slightly decreased sperm count.

And this has been shown to rebound back to normal levels within a week or so of abstaining from the plant.

Either way, most pot smokers aren't trying to impregnate any ladies right now, and the ones that are probably aren't having much of a problem with it anyways.

I just don't get the prejudice against cannabis users.
  Send a message via AIM to KCisforMe  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Okay guys if you value your balls drop that joint - February 24th 2009, 05:54 AM

Yeah, but after being around it for a while it actually starts to smell somewhat good. Believe me, it took me forever to come around. I used to think it smelled like horrible B.O. but now I cannot resist the scent hah.

But honestly, not every guy who smokes weed is getting stoned all the time and not considering your feelings you know. Alot of pot smokers are generally considerate of others and especially to others who do not smoke weed. You know when you'll find a good guy/pot smoker when he agrees to not smoke around you and have the courtesy of considering your feelings as well.

But anyway onto the lung cancer poster. This study was conducted solely on testicular cancer, so that's just what we're discussing. If you've seen super high me, they tested Doug Benson's lung capacity when smoking weed for 30 days and not smoking weed for 30 days and it didn't have much of an effect. Not the greatest example I know, but I really just don't believe that marijuana should be the first subject to get grilled when talking about people who've dubbed into marijuana and also getting cancer. It's not proven yet and until it is, i'm gonna keep smoking and doing it in a clean way.

Closed Thread