TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 05:14 AM

...ok so this is really strange...
I started smoking pot a couple of months ago... and began getting this really strange paranoid feeling when I'm around dogs... I've never been afraid of dogs. I've always loved animals, and they've always loved me.
But I was attacked by two different dogs the last two days.... I mean I'd never been attacked before in my life until now and I don't know why it happened. Now I'm extremely afraid of dogs! I panick every time one comes near me... I litterally jumped on top of my boyfriends kitchen counters today when the dogs started barking. I cry almost every time I see a dog now... I have a bite on the back of my leg and it is turning purple from where one of the dogs clamped down its teeth on me yesterday... it came at me so fast. I got away from the other dog but it tried tobite me like 6 times... and would attack every time i tried to move. Do you think the way the pot makes me act could be the reason dogs are attacking me now? It really broke my heart to experiance what i've experianced in the last two days... I thaught dogs were supposed to be able to tell the difference between a good person and a bad person. I never thaught that I would be the target of dogs... i dont get it

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 08:08 AM

One of the reactions people can have to pot is paranoia. I'm not sure how common it is but it does happen a fair amount. Why the dog bit you, I wasn't there so I really cant say. Perhaps you did something you didn't know but I wasn't there so no idea.

After an attack, it seems reasonable to be scared of the dog. Try going off the pot and then be around the dog, seeing as how the pot caused the paranoia in the first place, it may remove it now.

You claim to have been scared of dogs, meaning your usual behavior and probably actions were different. That's a given. You may have appeared threatening due to this, and according to the dog, a "bad person".

However, seeing as how before the pot you were fine, and now you're not fine around dogs, it's likely that pot is changing your behavior and actions towards dogs in a way they feel threatened, or threatening their owners.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 01:15 PM

yeah, just really scary tho

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 05:36 PM

If you act totally different when high it might have been that, or it could have been a totally freak occurrence. It's hard for any of us to say because we weren't there.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinnocenteyes View Post
...ok so this is really strange...
I started smoking pot a couple of months ago... and began getting this really strange paranoid feeling when I'm around dogs... I've never been afraid of dogs. I've always loved animals, and they've always loved me.
But I was attacked by two different dogs the last two days.... I mean I'd never been attacked before in my life until now and I don't know why it happened. Now I'm extremely afraid of dogs! I panick every time one comes near me... I litterally jumped on top of my boyfriends kitchen counters today when the dogs started barking. I cry almost every time I see a dog now... I have a bite on the back of my leg and it is turning purple from where one of the dogs clamped down its teeth on me yesterday... it came at me so fast. I got away from the other dog but it tried tobite me like 6 times... and would attack every time i tried to move. Do you think the way the pot makes me act could be the reason dogs are attacking me now? It really broke my heart to experiance what i've experianced in the last two days... I thaught dogs were supposed to be able to tell the difference between a good person and a bad person. I never thaught that I would be the target of dogs... i dont get it
I'm afraid of dogs too. It could just be you, I wouldn't worry too much about it being drug related.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 07:24 PM

doubts unless you were taunting the dogs or whatever

you might of just been unlucky tho

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 07:24 PM

It could be a strange coincidence.

But yes, it is also quite plausible that dogs feel threatened by your behavior when you've been smoking. It's quite easy to be slightly over enthusiastic and friendly which could be interpreted as threatening the a dog.

Just steer clear I suppose.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 16th 2009, 07:58 PM

I'm a really shy quiet person... and I don't talk that much even when I do smoke. I just felt like I could feel the dogs emotions...like it heightened a certain sense that made me able to connect to the dogs...i know that sounds crazy. i remained really calm and just stood still. I knew about 5 minutes before it happened that the dog was going to attack me tho.... I had this really bad feeling. This dog was sitting on my lap before I got up to leave. like I could hear the dog thinking... afterwards I had this huge panick attack that lasted for like 20 minutes...all the way home... i came in my house and was hystericlly crying... then I freaked out and backed up agenst the wall when our little pug walked into the room, screaming to get the dog out of the room! it was so weird... i got so scared...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 17th 2009, 01:08 AM

Weed can make you extremely paranoid and jumpy so I imagine that's where your hysterics came from.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cutter boy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: DAMION

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 17th 2009, 01:15 AM

IT MIGHT BE THE SMELL IDK
  Send a message via Yahoo to cutter boy  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 17th 2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinnocenteyes View Post
I'm a really shy quiet person... and I don't talk that much even when I do smoke. I just felt like I could feel the dogs emotions...like it heightened a certain sense that made me able to connect to the dogs...i know that sounds crazy. i remained really calm and just stood still. I knew about 5 minutes before it happened that the dog was going to attack me tho.... I had this really bad feeling. This dog was sitting on my lap before I got up to leave. like I could hear the dog thinking... afterwards I had this huge panick attack that lasted for like 20 minutes...all the way home... i came in my house and was hystericlly crying... then I freaked out and backed up agenst the wall when our little pug walked into the room, screaming to get the dog out of the room! it was so weird... i got so scared...
This confirms that the weed made you paranoid. Quit smoking it and you shouldn't have this paranoia.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 17th 2009, 12:49 PM

no im not, and that was mean... id never touch any other drugs

(#13 (permalink)) Old
jessica1122 Offline
Michael's Girl
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 17th 2009, 04:11 PM

It was the paranoia. Paranoia can be considered fear, and if a dog senses that you fear it, it will give you a reason to fear it-thats why around dogs you never act afraid and if its barking at you, dont run because it will chase you down and bite you-its a basic instinct of theres from before they were nondomesticated

~~Jessica and Michael~~

We started dating 11/22/08
He told me he loved me on his 8th birthday
And i never believed he still would
After all that time....
until the day that changed my life
  Send a message via Yahoo to jessica1122  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 20th 2009, 04:22 PM

Drugs bring out paranoia in everybody atleast once or twice in their experiences with it. The dogs may have just sensed something going on with you or the scent of the weed may have set them off. If you tweak around an animal, they may do just the same to you. Chill out when you get high and remember it's just the herb. Once you focus on something relaxing or funny, the rest of those paranoid thoughts tend to easily go right out the window.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
JungleBanga Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pot and Dog attacks? omg scary - February 22nd 2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
This confirms that the weed made you paranoid. Quit smoking it and you shouldn't have this paranoia.
I don't think that's fair and sounds a little bit rude.

I think it was just coincidence. Whenever I come home smelling of pot, my dogs start sniffing me. I think they like the smell. I don't let them sniff me though in case it does something to them. Perhaps some dogs are just opposed to the smell? You probably are just paranoid... try to shake it off and breathe!

Closed Thread