TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:37 PM

I've got a mate who is 17, he looks 30 easy, and can drink me under the table... thing is is I recently turned 18 and now troubles brewing, he wants me to buy him stuff, even though he's underage, but I thought you were allowed if he was with me, but apparently its 1000 fine :s. I dont want to do anything illegal, but at the same time before I knew I'd agreed to get him it beforehand.

I CANNOT get in trouble, I've asked for my mums trust and she's agreed to give me a chance, but I want to go out drinking with my mate, there's no one else really so otherwise I'd just be a lone drinker :L. I really won't break the law, my conscience wouldn't allow it... So what do I do? Do I just have to tell him no?

EDIT: We were planning to just go to the park or something, not even get drunk really, hes really keen...

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Acedread Offline
Big Mike
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mike

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:43 PM

If you're gonna buy him some brew make sure you don't go to a public area. A cop can pull up and easily ask for ID from the both of you. I don't know if you'd get fined for buying a minor beer but it's entirely possible.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lilly

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:44 PM

My advice is to just tell him no. It's never worth it to brake the law, and 1000 is a lot for some drinking in the park. Besides, he's 17, so next year you'll both be good for it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:45 PM

Well if he looks 30 as you say then he should be able to buy it himself if he REALLY wants to. That way he'll still be getting alcohol but if he gets caught then the shopkeeper will be the one in the wrong for selling it to someone underage.
If you don't like the idea of that then how about you tell him how you're feeling, I know a lot of guys don't like talking about their feelings but still explain to him that you don't want to do anything illegal.
Or instead of going to the park, go to one of your houses and drink it there, that way there's less chance of you being caught and tbh it's kinda cold to be drinking on the streets.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:46 PM

Your friend won't rat on you for buying it for him. Well atleast he shouldn't so how would a cop even know? Almost everybody drinks it's no big deal. Cops here laugh at the teens who get drunk aha.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:49 PM

I have to be honest, some of my friends who are 18 or over 18 (i turn 18 in 2weeks) get drink for me when we go out or go to a party or house or whatever. And nothing has ever gone wrong whilst doing that. I'm not condoning it, but chances are you will won't get caught. Just make sure you go to a place that you know you have a slim chance of cops getting nearby. (park is generally a good place for the most part).

It depends on how comfortable you feel doing it though, don't do it if you don't want to.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:50 PM

Well he wouldn't on purpose but he's going round telling everyone, and I'm worried by word of mouth it'll get to the wrong people...

Thing is is hes nice, really nice but if you annoy him he'll go off in a strop for aages, and I mean I understand, cos i did promise him, but at the same time I didn't know it was illegal :L

Also hes 18 in 6 months, riight at the end of August, and then we both go off to Uni... so as mates, legally we'll never get a legal chance to go out for a drink...

Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footienut1892 View Post
Just make sure you go to a place that you know you have a slim chance of cops getting nearby. (park is generally a good place for the most part).

I probably wouldn't go to a park that's usually the first place cops drive around alot ... besides sometimes little kids are around there, not a very good example lol.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE View Post
I probably wouldn't go to a park that's usually the first place cops drive around alot ... besides sometimes little kids are around there, not a very good example lol.
I it depends really, around here most of the parks are massive so any chance of a cop finding you is slim, and you also get a chance to get away as well.

Also i doubt there'd be many little kids around, not if you're going out at night anyway. :P

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 26th 2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footienut1892 View Post
I it depends really, around here most of the parks are massive so any chance of a cop finding you is slim, and you also get a chance to get away as well.

Also i doubt there'd be many little kids around, not if you're going out at night anyway. :P

Good point but that's another thing, alot of parks around here have a curfew after 11 PM and cops check up alot. Guess it depends where you live.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 12:18 AM

1. Make sure you use cash, and not a debit card or credit card, otherwise it will show up on record.

2. Dump/burn the receipt if you get one even with cash.

3. Buy it in advance, like a day or two.

4. DEFINITELY DO NOT BRING HIM IN WITH YOU!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 12:44 AM

If he is not caught with it you can buy it for your personal use. It will be hard to prove you did not as long as you are not stupid about it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 02:12 AM

Is it really worth all the bad things that could come of it? Do you really want to assist with someone breaking the law to the point where you can get in big trouble for it? How about you right a list of all the good things that will happen if you do this and all the bad things that will happen if you do this. I honestly do not think the good things will out way the bad in this situation. He is only 17, why not wait that one more year? It will come sooner or later.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 04:21 AM

just tell him if he gets caught he didnt get it from you. Problem solved!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 04:29 AM

mm, I don't really want to condone buying for a kid underage, but people do it all the time and as long as you two aren't getting into a car drunk or taking him home to his parents drunk, then I don't see why not. It's highly unlikely that you're going to get caught as long as you don't make it obvious. Tell him to not be stupid and go around bragging about it to everyone. If he wants to tell a couple trust..TRUSTworthy friends then whatever that's cool, but tell him to try to keep it on the down low for your sake.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 10:24 AM

if he looks 30 then tell him to go and buy it himself, i'm sure he'll get served somewhere without ID. i mean, to be honest there are places in town where i can get served, and theres no way i look eighteen. if i were you i wouldn't by it for him, either tell him to ask someone else or, wait til he's eighteen or take his chances of getting served. its not worth getting fined and what not.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#17 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 04:19 PM

I don't get it why is it so hard for people to have a good time without alcohol...

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 04:42 PM

R.K.... Well for me its not that I cant have a good time, I certainly can, with or without, but for me, I guess I just want to exploit the fact I'm now 18 and can go out, buy a drink and enjoy it legally . I mean you're 21, there must have been a point when you were all pleased you could just go and buy alcohol? Just the feeling of freedom? I don't know, I haven't been 18 a week yet I just here to have fun

I've told him I won't buy for him or anyone, but that if he wants to buy he can, were still going on the outing just he'll probably be drinkless... Unfair I know...

(#19 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 05:55 PM

That's understandable. Do you have friends that are of legal age?

I don't remember how the UK law goes, but what about if you buy those drink, bring them home & drink there with your friend? Or will your folks/roommates mind?

I remember when living in the UK I always had annoying, random underage kids ask all the time to buy cigs especially. Tried to pretend to be a total idiot foreigner that doesn't speak english... Oh the good old days.

Last edited by R.K.; February 27th 2009 at 06:09 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
That's understandable. Do you have friends that are of legal age?

I don't remember how the UK law goes, but what about if you buy those drink, bring them home & drink there with your friends? Or will your folks/roomates mind?
UK law says you may drink at home with the permission of the owner/whoever is there at the time. You may not buy drink though.

It is unlikely you'll be fined though because it will be very hard to prove you did not buy them for personal use. I've bought a dozen ciders before and said they were for a party

(#21 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Buying for underage (UK)... - February 27th 2009, 09:56 PM

Ok... well I've just got in.. early night I know!!!

So I didn't buy anything for anyone underage but a new problem arose... Say I bought for me, and lots of younger people turned up, I'm talking people who are 15... 16 or so and who had alcohol, like 55% stuff form they're parents, If I'm out with them, I'm not liable for them, surely?

Closed Thread