TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Question Smoking to calm down - February 18th 2011, 05:45 PM

Im not sure where this goes, so ill just put it here i guess.

ANYWAYS

I don't smoke that much. Like I've smoked less than 6 times. It IS marijuana, just to clear that up. But lately, with school work piling up, I have been getting really stressed out, and to prevent myself into going into a panic attack (thanks to my GAD) I smoke.

Please continue reading before jumping straight to the reply bit,

I have done quite extensive research on marijuana, via credible books (most written by psychologists, doctors, and users/ex-users) as well as talking to friends, again both users and non/ex users. I have also seen what it can do to your mind if you misuse it. A family friend is now suffering fro schizophrenia because of over using pot whilst being severely depressed.

Now, I'm not entirely sure why I posted this, but I needed to. If you do wish to share anything please feel free, and I will consider any other options you can provide to help me calm myself, assuming I haven't already tried that technique or what ever.

and please dont respond with sympathy or long winded responses, I'd rather you just say it clear cut, straight into your opinion.

I really do appreciate it, <3

"Do not regret anything. Every choice, fuck up, spoken word, experience and emotion has brought you to this very moment. It has shaped exactly who you are. Do not regret who you are. You are unique. No one in the world is like you. In this sense, we are alone. Yet for this very reason, we all have one thing in common. Don't waste who you are, be everything you can be. You can achieve your dreams, you just have to genuinely try."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Smoking to calm down - February 19th 2011, 06:23 PM

I don't think marijuana is the most beneficial 'medication' for GAD. SSRI's and tranquilizers (if needed) are what you should be using. Go see a doctor. As for the marijuana, just keep control over how much you use it if you're going to continue to do so. It's not that bad just a little pointless. Good luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking to calm down - February 19th 2011, 10:05 PM

Have you been diagnosed with GAD or is it one of these ever-so-common self-diagnosis or diagnosis by an amateur? If it is diagnosed by a doctor, then are you on any medications to control the GAD? If not, is it because you want to smoke weed instead or is it for another reason?

If you want to smoke it, just know that there is a higher chance of breathing problems because the route of administration is inhaling smoke. Different routes don't have that problem.

A person won't likely have schizophrenia as a result of smoking weed. Researchers Oliver D. Howes and Shitij Kapur published a highly-endowed paper in 2009 called "Dopamine Hypothesis of Schizophrenia: Version III - The Final Common Pathway". It is found in the journal called Schizophrenia Bulletin. In this article, they investigate factors contributing to schizophrenia and one of them was marijuana. They found on a scale of 10, marijuana posed the second lowest risk of 2.09/10 while moving to multiple houses had a higher risk of 2.9/10. The lowest risk was birth complications with a risk of 2.0/10. The highest risk was amphetamine use with about a risk of 10/10. So there's a very low risk that your friend has schizophrenia due to marijuana use. Here's the article (click at the bottom for it): http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/news/default.aspx?id=455&

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: Smoking to calm down - February 20th 2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
Have you been diagnosed with GAD or is it one of these ever-so-common self-diagnosis or diagnosis by an amateur? If it is diagnosed by a doctor, then are you on any medications to control the GAD? If not, is it because you want to smoke weed instead or is it for another reason?

If you want to smoke it, just know that there is a higher chance of breathing problems because the route of administration is inhaling smoke. Different routes don't have that problem.

A person won't likely have schizophrenia as a result of smoking weed. Researchers Oliver D. Howes and Shitij Kapur published a highly-endowed paper in 2009 called "Dopamine Hypothesis of Schizophrenia: Version III - The Final Common Pathway". It is found in the journal called Schizophrenia Bulletin. In this article, they investigate factors contributing to schizophrenia and one of them was marijuana. They found on a scale of 10, marijuana posed the second lowest risk of 2.09/10 while moving to multiple houses had a higher risk of 2.9/10. The lowest risk was birth complications with a risk of 2.0/10. The highest risk was amphetamine use with about a risk of 10/10. So there's a very low risk that your friend has schizophrenia due to marijuana use. Here's the article (click at the bottom for it): http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/news/default.aspx?id=455&
Seconded. Also, marijuana can worsen symptoms if your friend already had schizophrenia, and it would probably be at a higher risk of agitating the schizophrenia than literally causing it. I know that one of my very very best friends had an extended period of hallucinations and schizophrenic-like episodes that started when he started smoking heavily and all went away once he stopped smoking. Granted he was smoking a lot, so the risks were increased, but it's still possible for any mental health problem to be worsened by drugs. While I haven't ever smoked because of my own health complications, I do suffer from anxiety problems and I know that my psychiatrist, especially with his patients that have anxiety, is very meticulous about asking them if they've been using drugs and he asks for a reason. Even marijuana, considered to be one of the drugs with the least harsh side effects, can make problems like anxiety worse and you should really try to find another safer, healthier way to cope with your anxiety. If you want any ideas, feel free to shoot me a PM.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Smoking to calm down - February 21st 2011, 02:32 AM

I smoked pot faithfully throughout high school and let me tell you, the day I quit I was like a new man. Pot is by far the worst hobbit I could have picked up in school. It made me lazy and lose sight of my goals. I found it took away from me as a person. I was more concerned about getting high then class or even my family. Iíve been free from drugs for a while now and Iíll never get back into it. Iím in good shape and my lunges love me for it.

Stress is the most popular excuse people use to smoke pot. Sure it solves the problem for an hour or two. When your buzz is gone youíre out money and half the brain power you started with. The best stress reliever is sleep or a hot bath and your favorite music. I also find pot to yellow the teeth quickly which is another reason why I stopped.

Over all pot slowed me down both physically and mentally, canít change the past it was a learning experience for me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I've been here a while

Name: Paige

Re: Smoking to calm down - February 21st 2011, 03:08 AM

I don't need to tell you that smoking weed is bad for you.
I'm sure you already know this.

But what I would advise you to do is to try speaking to people about the issues and things in your life leaving you feeling stressed.
Weed is not something that solves your problems, and I have seen so many people wrecking their lives because of drugs... and the worst thing is they don't think weed is 'that bad'.

You're 15, a lot of people with drug problems start doing them around 15 or 16 years old and it starts off as experimenting and progresses from there.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Smoking to calm down - February 21st 2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks a lot for the opinions and stuff guys, I'm just happy people want to help.

Yeah I get the schizophrenia-onset boosted by the marijuana, but that wasn't a real point I was trying to make, more like a sub supporting statement haha

Yes I have been clinically diagnosed with GAD and Depression, and my mum is trying to get me to the doctors for an ED evaluation thing, but thats a whole different conversation/
-anyways that was a good 3-4 months ago for the GAD and it wasnt severe enough to need medication, but I just started year 11 and a lot of shit has happened in my life, so many things have gone horribly wrong.

I am in NO way, shape or form, let this become a habbit. Its just when I feel like im going to have the panic attack. And afterwards I am calm and can focus better on my homework and study. I have done it twice this year to help with calming down.

I have seen what it can do to peoples lives, to their health, and to their grades, and I am not about to put any of those into jeopardy for the sake of not launching into a panic attack. Its only when I really think I need it.

Thanks for the comments though guys, I really do appreciate it.

"Do not regret anything. Every choice, fuck up, spoken word, experience and emotion has brought you to this very moment. It has shaped exactly who you are. Do not regret who you are. You are unique. No one in the world is like you. In this sense, we are alone. Yet for this very reason, we all have one thing in common. Don't waste who you are, be everything you can be. You can achieve your dreams, you just have to genuinely try."

Closed Thread