TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lover99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 16th 2011, 07:21 AM

I smoked weed for the first time this week.

I smoked two nights in a row with my boyfriend and friend who had bought a bag. I really liked the feeling of being high. my boyfriend used to be a major stonner and he had quit smoking 6 months ago when we started dating and I asked him to. a few weeks ago he told me that he wanted to be able to smoke again everyonce in a while and promised me he wouldnt beacome a stoner again. hes been smoking like non stop this week. He says its beacuse its spring break and hes got to use up the bag. Im alittle worried that this will beacome a habit again. I dont want to be with a stonner. Im also worried about myself. since smoking two days ago I cant think about anything else. I just want to get high again. I dont know if this is just me being excited about a new experience like when I had sex for the first time or kissed for the first time etc. or if this is me feeling a bit of addiction. help me.
okay basicly here is my queston in three parts
1. Whats going on with my boyfriend? is he going to beacome a stonner again?
2. Is it possible to just be a user and not a stonner? (ideally that is what me and my beau would like to be)
3. Is my mind staying on this beacuse im getting adicted or something or is it staying on this beacuse Im excited.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 16th 2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lover99 View Post
[b]
2. Is it possible to just be a user and not a stonner? (ideally that is what me and my beau would like to be)
3. Is my mind staying on this beacuse im getting adicted or something or is it staying on this beacuse Im excited.
1. Usually, if someone is addicted once, then relapsing, i.e. starting again, will cause the addiction to come back, so I believe he is addicted again.

2. I don't, personally, believe so, I am no doctor, but in my opinion it's outlawed for a reason, because you shouldn't use it.

3. That's a common part of initially being addicted, first you have uncontrollable urges.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 16th 2011, 04:19 PM

First of all, I know I often spew anti-drug nonsense, but really, weed isn't the end of the world, a lot of young people do it. It will not turn you into some sort of fiend. That being said you could drive yourself to hell with this.

The thing that I always think about people who do drugs is, "Will you be happy about this later, will this be something you will be proud to share with your children?"

It's your life, but you sound like an early stage addict, every time you get high makes it harder to quit. If you can't do it yourself, get help. This is important.

Answers to your speficic questions:
1. If he isn't already a "Stoner" he will be soon.
2. A user only uses it because he/she is addicted. It's like saying you'll only watch ten minutes of TV before a school project, everyone knows it doesn't work that way.
3. You're excited because it's an early stage addiction. Seek help.

Christ, for a kid who doesn't believe in drugs, I sure know alot about 'em.

- Justin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 16th 2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lover99 View Post
1. Most likely.
2. Yes it's possible, but definitely NOT probable.
3. Weed is not physically addicting, but you can become psychologically dependent on it. You're probably just over-excited, but can definitely lead to you wasting your life and money away by smoking pot all the time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 16th 2011, 11:42 PM

It's actually been inconclusive thusfar whether or not it's even physiologically POSSIBLE to be "addicted" to marijuana, unless of course it's laced with something else (which it very well may be, it happens a lot). But marijuana alone, no. You had a new experience and you're excited about it.

It's outlawed in the US because it would be nearly impossible for the government to regulate it like they can tobacco or alcohol, because discrete and efficient home growing has been fine-tuned down to a science (it's been said that the quality of the marijuana grown on a mass-scale by indoor growers is higher than it's ever been, it can grow faster and more densely as well). It's extremely economical if the grower knows what he's doing and it's hard to capitalize on it. If marijuana was legalized it's common knowledge it would become an entirely new industry that would take years if not decades to correctly put under a government leash and they certainly wouldn't see a penny of it from tax.

It's capitalism and the economics associated with it, the government doesn't care one way or the other how addictive a substance is as long as it sells and they can turn a profit.

And for the record, telling somebody to seek help after smoking marijuana doesn't mean you know a lot about drugs. It means you're young and naive. You've been trained to be afraid of it and associate it with evil, and for two reasons I think that's a failure in the education system:

1. Marijuana is not inherently evil. The people involved and the responsibility level of said people can cause it to lead to a positive experience or a negative one.

2. It doesn't teach you anything significant about the drug, other than that it's to be feared. Then when crunch time comes around it's a lot more difficult than writing in a DARE student booklet when it actually involves YOU and YOUR friends, and at that point "Drugs are bad" will get you nowhere. You need to think these things out for yourself.

Smoking marijuana is not a wise decision to make, not because it's addictive but because it can bring with it involvement with not-so-friendly groups of people, problems associated with breathing in smoke (for asthmatics), loss of respect from peers and trouble with authorities in your life and the law. At this stage in your life do not smoke weed, not because of how afraid you're taught to be while in middle school (which I guess means you know all about it), or because of the psuedo-science those middle-schoolers make up about human physiology, but because you are not in the right position at this time to sufficiently CONTROL it and because you are unsure what else could be in with it and you're trusting the person you got it from that there's nothing poisonous or TRULY addictive laced in it.

Keep it in perspective, please. Drugs are bad for you right now - know WHY they are poor decisions to make, don't just assume a 7th grade D.A.R.E. poster on your wall makes you an expert, because that doesn't prepare you or educate you to truly make your own decisions, when you actually DO come across somebody who offers it to you they'll probably be able to tell you why all the misconceptions are wrong and now YOU need to decide WHY the effects on your life EXTERNALLY from the marijuana are not worth the risk.

Oh, and for the record, no, I do not smoke marijuana. Here are my reasons why (other than "cuz we did DARE and they said it's addictive and now I know all about drugs and they're bad get help now!"):

- Unsure if it is laced (and if so, with what)
- Loss of respect of peers
- Trouble with the law
- Possible expulsion from school
- Asthma makes it really hard
- Weary of the possible mental complications (while it doesn't addict you, it can sometimes rearrange the storage of information in your brain. That's why a small population claim that after smoking constantly, they've become better at x mental test (eg. mathematics). As a result though, you can lose proficiency in other areas controlled by different parts of the brain. It's a gamble and because most of the brain does absolutely nothing at any given point in the day it's unlikely to happen in any meaningfully helpful way.
- Gateway drug for search of more intense highs
- I don't want to be seen as a stoner

But for the love of god, know WHY you're against it if you're against it - not just "because it's bad." That will NEVER help you and will mean jack-shit when you need to make a quick decision.

White hats in the air for the American way

Last edited by These Three Remain; March 17th 2011 at 12:04 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 17th 2011, 04:37 PM

To answer your question:

1. From the information you've provided it sounds like he really wants to get back into using marijuana regularly. If you're not in favour of it, then I would suggest trying to change his behaviour. There is a chance that he will become a "stoner" again if he friends are suggesting him to do so and no one is against his marijuana use.

2. It is possible to be a user and not just a stoner.

3. Your mind is probably staying on this because smoking marijuana was a new experience for you. I would doubt two nights of smoking marijuana can get you addicted. If you feel that you are going to become addicted when you don't want to, you should stop smoking now.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dyvan13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 20th 2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by These Three Remain View Post
It's actually been inconclusive thusfar whether or not it's even physiologically POSSIBLE to be "addicted" to marijuana, unless of course it's laced with something else (which it very well may be, it happens a lot). But marijuana alone, no. You had a new experience and you're excited about it.

It's outlawed in the US because it would be nearly impossible for the government to regulate it like they can tobacco or alcohol, because discrete and efficient home growing has been fine-tuned down to a science (it's been said that the quality of the marijuana grown on a mass-scale by indoor growers is higher than it's ever been, it can grow faster and more densely as well). It's extremely economical if the grower knows what he's doing and it's hard to capitalize on it. If marijuana was legalized it's common knowledge it would become an entirely new industry that would take years if not decades to correctly put under a government leash and they certainly wouldn't see a penny of it from tax.

It's capitalism and the economics associated with it, the government doesn't care one way or the other how addictive a substance is as long as it sells and they can turn a profit.

And for the record, telling somebody to seek help after smoking marijuana doesn't mean you know a lot about drugs. It means you're young and naive. You've been trained to be afraid of it and associate it with evil, and for two reasons I think that's a failure in the education system:

1. Marijuana is not inherently evil. The people involved and the responsibility level of said people can cause it to lead to a positive experience or a negative one.

2. It doesn't teach you anything significant about the drug, other than that it's to be feared. Then when crunch time comes around it's a lot more difficult than writing in a DARE student booklet when it actually involves YOU and YOUR friends, and at that point "Drugs are bad" will get you nowhere. You need to think these things out for yourself.

Smoking marijuana is not a wise decision to make, not because it's addictive but because it can bring with it involvement with not-so-friendly groups of people, problems associated with breathing in smoke (for asthmatics), loss of respect from peers and trouble with authorities in your life and the law. At this stage in your life do not smoke weed, not because of how afraid you're taught to be while in middle school (which I guess means you know all about it), or because of the psuedo-science those middle-schoolers make up about human physiology, but because you are not in the right position at this time to sufficiently CONTROL it and because you are unsure what else could be in with it and you're trusting the person you got it from that there's nothing poisonous or TRULY addictive laced in it.

Keep it in perspective, please. Drugs are bad for you right now - know WHY they are poor decisions to make, don't just assume a 7th grade D.A.R.E. poster on your wall makes you an expert, because that doesn't prepare you or educate you to truly make your own decisions, when you actually DO come across somebody who offers it to you they'll probably be able to tell you why all the misconceptions are wrong and now YOU need to decide WHY the effects on your life EXTERNALLY from the marijuana are not worth the risk.

Oh, and for the record, no, I do not smoke marijuana. Here are my reasons why (other than "cuz we did DARE and they said it's addictive and now I know all about drugs and they're bad get help now!"):

- Unsure if it is laced (and if so, with what)
- Loss of respect of peers
- Trouble with the law
- Possible expulsion from school
- Asthma makes it really hard
- Weary of the possible mental complications (while it doesn't addict you, it can sometimes rearrange the storage of information in your brain. That's why a small population claim that after smoking constantly, they've become better at x mental test (eg. mathematics). As a result though, you can lose proficiency in other areas controlled by different parts of the brain. It's a gamble and because most of the brain does absolutely nothing at any given point in the day it's unlikely to happen in any meaningfully helpful way.
- Gateway drug for search of more intense highs
- I don't want to be seen as a stoner

But for the love of god, know WHY you're against it if you're against it - not just "because it's bad." That will NEVER help you and will mean jack-shit when you need to make a quick decision.

You are the man. Couldn't of said it better myself. I do "softcore" drugs (Weed, booze). Believe it or not I have 5 honors classes out of my 6 and am getting STRAIGHT A's . I go to school fucked up occasionally and bleh I really don't see what is so bad about weed and booze. Just be responsible with it and you'll be fine (In my opinion). I would definately stay away from pills, meth, coke, and all that other crap though.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 23rd 2011, 01:03 AM

Marijuana is actually a non-addictive substance. There is nothing in pot that is addictive, so the idea of becoming hooked seems silly.

I've known people to stop smoking pot successfully, they don't have withdrawal symptoms or anything of the sort. It's not the same as quitting smoking cigarettes, seeing as cigarettes put nicotine in the system, causing some people to become dependent.

Since you've only smoked up a couple of times, you shouldn't have a problem not doing it again. The only addictive part to marijuana is the habit, really. If you're used to smoking up with people, it'd probably become harder to quit because of habit. But there is absolutely nothing addictive in marijuana, so as long as you have willpower, you won't become addicted.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#9 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 25th 2011, 06:42 PM

Jesus christ, stop using the word stoner. [Edited by Aesthetic for rudeness.]

Is anyone who reads alot of books a complete need? Is anyone who spends +4 hours a day working in a lab a chemist? Its just a stupid fucking way of categorizing people.

I smoke every single day of the week and am as far from a "stoner" as you can be, so stop automatically assuming everyone who smokes is a burn out.

Don't smoke weed OP, you clearly don't have the correct mind state to be able to handle it if you think you are addicted already.

Last edited by Ngikhona; March 25th 2011 at 10:33 PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: i smoked weed for the first time this week - March 27th 2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO View Post
Jesus christ, stop using the word stoner. [Edited by Aesthetic for rudeness.]

Don't smoke weed OP, you clearly don't have the correct mind state to be able to handle it if you think you are addicted already.
Really, honestly and sincerely, this is true; it's not an insult. You're young, and a bit inexperienced in the world around you and that's perfectly fine; up until now, you've only had the propaganda to use as a basis for judgment in your decisions and I'll tell you right now it's a flaw in the education system and in society, we drill the minds of the youth with fear, anxiety and inexplicable distrust driven by a misunderstood sense of logic on the part of those preaching it.

You are not addicted to weed any more than a child who first enjoys an ice cream cone is addicted to chocolate. Chocolate alone will not kill the child, and it won't pose any serious risks to him unless he's decided to go on binges and gorge himself with it.

Smoking marijuana can open up new doors to opportunities that you've never been exposed to, and the consequences thereof can be either negative or positive, depending on how you respond to the situations. You're going to be invited into a world that, regardless of all the D.A.R.E classes they put you through in middle school (that makes you know alot about 'em ) will put you into the real world.

Guess what? This isn't entry into being a stoner; it isn't a ticket to a life of crime; it isn't a declaration of failure.

It's a fucking reality check.

You've been exposed to a reality that you have thusfar been sheltered from. You're being forced to make decisions on your own, off the leash and free of the blinders. You're actually put into a situation where it's become necessary to question the irrational perspective shared by the majority of your life authorities, who instill within the subjects a flawed, corrupt and narrowly minded worldview on the assumption that the end justifies the means.

You've taken the red pill and joined the party to realize that it was only ever controversial and taboo because of the general public's unfamiliarity to it. And now you need to make a decision of your own.

You've taken a step toward adulthood, and the real-world situations that accompany it.

Congratulations, you're a member of society now.

I don't recommend smoking weed anymore. Why? Because, to be honest, I think you're still a bit too naive about the whole thing. You're not sure where you should be focusing your priorities in an area you're obviously curious and interested in. Marijuana is not inherently bad and it won't addict you, but if you don't know what IS/WILL, you're in deep shit.

I've known several "stoners," as declared by the rest of the population in the environment, who have gone on to live happy, successful and stable lives. I've known a lot more sheltered kids who grew into some of the most immature, unstable adults I've ever met. Statistically speaking a high school student who experiments lightly and in moderation is less likely to become a hard partier in college than one who's been sheltered and funnel-fed propaganda against it.

Drugs are not inherently bad. There are several one would be wise to avoid at all costs. But not all of them, it's foolish to make such a generalization. We take drugs all the time, we put nutmeg (used in India as an equivalent of weed for a cheap high) on our food, we live in a culture of drugs. The problem isn't the presence of drugs, it's the differentiation between "fine in moderation" and "ABSOLUTELY NECESSARILY BAD," which doesn't seem to exist in the minds of the people preaching against them.

If you don't know where to put stock you put it in all the wrong places. Guide your decisions with information from your HEAD, not out of your school councilor's ass.

P.S. The "stoner" above has my GPA tied and I never show up high - all that's going for me as an advantage should we be decided between by a university would possibly be volunteer service work, school clubs and leadership, but I don't know what other activities he's involved with.

Case in point, I'd shake his hand, 'cause you might be working for him one day, "stoner" or not. He does what he does and what he does will do him well. He understands his boundaries and responsibilities, which is more important than blindly following orders (a quality that tends to lead to lower level career positions later in life)

Moderation.

White hats in the air for the American way

Last edited by These Three Remain; March 27th 2011 at 05:38 AM.

Closed Thread