TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
allikuja Offline
Not a n00b

help please sick drunk - March 7th 2009, 07:53 AM

My boyfriend drank a lot tonight (at a party) and has been throwing up for the past 1.5 hours. I've got him sitting up in the bathroom near the toilet and he's mostly throwing up in the toilet and i keep checking in on him and waking him up when he passes out and he responds with groans and sometimes manages out a "yes" in response to a question i ask. I brought him a water but so far trying to drink it is largely unsuccessful and mostly just makes him want to barf more. He's naked now cuz he barfed on his clothes and i put a towel on his back but it's not too cold in there. I still keep checking in on him but does anybody know what else i can do, if anything? I'm also really afraid of letting myself go to sleep cuz of him getting sick and being passed out and choking on his barf and dying. I know it's just my mind picking the worst case scenario, but I'm not sleeping yet

Right now he's sitting up with his arms around his legs and his head on his knees. He's sleeping it seems, visibly breathing etc.

Last edited by allikuja; March 7th 2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: checked in on him for the latest status update

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: help please sick drunk - March 7th 2009, 08:37 AM

I think you should warn him bought dangers of drinkin and tell him that it isn't nice for u to deal wiv.

You are great for being there for him.
Best Wishes
Liz

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: help please sick drunk - March 7th 2009, 10:48 AM

Sadly i've had to deal with far too many friends in this situation. Just let him sleep it off, make sure he's not in a position where he's going to swallow his own sick, as nasty as it sounds. Keep checking on him. I agree with Elizabeth, but somehow i don't think you'll have to say much to him, the way he's going to feel in the morning will be a big enough lesson.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: help please sick drunk - March 7th 2009, 11:05 AM

make sure he stays on his side and not his back if he lays down. other than that there is not much you can do he just has to ride it out

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: help please sick drunk - March 7th 2009, 12:11 PM

I guarantee that everyone will be in the same position as your boyfriend at some point in their lives. Not much you can do now just make sure he has a glass of water nearby (water cures everything in this situation) and make sure he's not lying on his back just in case. He should be fine in the morning apart from a hangover.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.commers
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: help please sick drunk - March 9th 2009, 07:59 PM

Make sure he understands it isnt your place to be there for him if he drinks to much all the time
good for you for staying with him
if it happens again weather it makes him sick or not make sure he gets some form of water down him and then make sure he can sleep without chocking on his sick,make sure he isnt to hot or cold and that if it is extreamly bad you can get him to a hospital
my mate drank so much one night she had to have her stomahce pumped
over drinking is not fun or sensible!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
a_girlsdreams Offline
Average Joe

Re: help please sick drunk - March 9th 2009, 08:18 PM

He needs to drink water.
Have him try eating some bread.

After he eventually stops throwing up, have him sleep it off.
Make sure he is on his side.

Good luck.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 02:32 AM

That's all part of babysitting. You can't leave him in that situation, until you know he's sobering up and will be coherent enough to be able to stay up and throw up on his own. And do not give a drunk person throwing up water. That only makes them puke more unless that was your intention. Give him something carbonated like pellegrino, 7up or ginger ale. People can't keep down water when their stomach is that upset. Try to get them to eat bread or crackers too. It helps to settle their tummies.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 02:44 AM

This happened 2/3 days ago now so I suspect the imminent danger has passed. If it has not he should go to hospital now

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Farron Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Farron :)

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 02:51 AM

Offer for him to drink water and or Gatorade (but keep a good balance of either)
If he sleeps, make sure it is on his side.
Try to give him toast (with absolutely NOTHING on it) or a few saltine crackers.

It's just gonna have to pass. Look out of alcohol poisoning in the future. Web MD has some symptom check lists but if he is in a bad state, you could probably tell he needs to see a doctor.

Keep a fan in the bathroom, if you can.

You shouldn't have to deal with this, but the fact that you are is earning you some major loyalty points in my book, good situation or not.

Be safe.

xx Farron

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts

"And when you spread forth your hands, I will hide my eyes from you: yes, when you make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood." Isaiah 1:15

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Joshie Offline
Just Myself
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Joshh

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 02:56 AM

hes being just like me then
he has alchol poisoning i bet,
hospital would be great
or
takes a nice while to wear off

Growing up is fun; So get out there and Experience new things.

JUST BE SAFE DURING ALL THIS FUN.
~Josh
  Send a message via MSN to Joshie  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
allikuja Offline
Not a n00b

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 04:10 AM

He managed to find a way to pass out sitting up in the bathroom in a way that wouldn't lead to him choking on vomit so I let him sleep like that for awhile and then when he was able to stand and make it out of the bathroom I took him to bed and watched him sleep for another half hour til I fell asleep. In the morning, he puked a little more and was really tired so he went home and rested/puked a little. By the day after that he was able to function normally, albeit being sore and tired.

He's making it up to me this weekend for all the stuff he put me through last weekend. <3

I also made him promise not to drink for awhile and to never get sick like that ever again (to basically not let his drinking get out of control).

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikuja View Post
He managed to find a way to pass out sitting up in the bathroom in a way that wouldn't lead to him choking on vomit so I let him sleep like that for awhile and then when he was able to stand and make it out of the bathroom I took him to bed and watched him sleep for another half hour til I fell asleep. In the morning, he puked a little more and was really tired so he went home and rested/puked a little. By the day after that he was able to function normally, albeit being sore and tired.

He's making it up to me this weekend for all the stuff he put me through last weekend. <3

I also made him promise not to drink for awhile and to never get sick like that ever again (to basically not let his drinking get out of control).
To be honest his experience should be enough to put him off drinking for a while

(#14 (permalink)) Old
allikuja Offline
Not a n00b

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
To be honest his experience should be enough to put him off drinking for a while
I sure hope so. He says he has vague memories of leaving the party and then he remembers waking up in bed the next morning. Lucky him for not remembering the hours of puking. I do though, and I'll be sure to remind him the next time he's thinking about drinking.

----

On a side note, situations like this are what really bothers me about weed being illegal while alcohol is legal. Had he been smoking weed, none of this would've happened. At worst he would've been passed out asleep on a couch at the party, not passed out while puking in the bathroom. Bullshit, I say.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: help please sick drunk - March 10th 2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikuja View Post
I sure hope so. He says he has vague memories of leaving the party and then he remembers waking up in bed the next morning. Lucky him for not remembering the hours of puking. I do though, and I'll be sure to remind him the next time he's thinking about drinking.

----

On a side note, situations like this are what really bothers me about weed being illegal while alcohol is legal. Had he been smoking weed, none of this would've happened. At worst he would've been passed out asleep on a couch at the party, not passed out while puking in the bathroom. Bullshit, I say.
I hear what you're saying, a lot of people consider alcohol as more dangerous than weed, however the law is the law and i very much doubt alochol will ever be outlawed, as if drunk responsibly won't cause you any significant problems. It's only really when alcohol is abused or people binge drink that problems arise, like the situation your boyfriend was in.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#16 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: help please sick drunk - March 11th 2009, 01:54 AM

Just because he was throwing up for a while doesn't mean he had alcohol poisoning.

Closed Thread