TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rosiee Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rosie

Drinking safely - May 7th 2011, 08:53 PM

I am not sure if I should be asking this as I am not sure if you're allowed to answer, so if needed remove this post. I hope it's not bad asking this
We have a study leave party coming up and I'm wanting to go and have a few drinks, but I'm wondering if there are any tips you could give to stop myself from being sick?
At New Year I had 3 cans of cider and in the car ride home I was sick. But at festivals I've managed to drink spirits(with mixers) and a lot of it and be perfectly fine.
I'm just wondering if there is certain foods or tricks that would help me be a lot more safer when drinking...

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: Drinking safely - May 8th 2011, 01:15 AM

People are most definitely allowed to answer this, so no worries. Our goal is for people to be able to be safe about things and it's really great that you're looking out for yourself with this. If you're going to drink, you may as well do it responsibly.

Honestly, I've had no personal experience with alcohol besides the one time I had it and I found out that I have a decently severe alcohol intolerance. I'd say to leave a while between drinks so you can really gauge how you're feeling before you keep drinking. You could try asking a friend to keep an eye on you a bit to be sure you're not drinking too much. Make sure you drink a lot of water and take things slowly.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Drinking safely - May 8th 2011, 08:31 AM

The main "tricks" would be what you're alongside or after drinking. Generally, if you eat protein-rich food that's greasy, it takes longer to digest so it can somewhat delay or buffer the metabolism of alcohol. Also, after or during drinking, also have other drinks, such as a sports drink or orange juice. The reason is drinking alcohol decreases the water amount (subsequently leading to a hangover) as well as vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin B,C and altering the electrolyte balance, in proportion with how much alcohol you ingest. These changes can make you feel ill. Taking them with the drinks or immediately before can also help. Drinking water isn't as good because it just restores some water that was lost but does nothing for restoring the depleted vitamins. In fact, it can further dilute them, worsening the situation. Although it will also dilute the alcohol, it's not as effective as having greasy protein-rich food. If you drink far too much water in excess, you'll screw yourself over and may still end up with a hangover and feel ill.

It's best though to have someone monitor you so you can stop at a certain limit or just continue and get shitfaced.

A common myth is to have burnt toast. If someone suggests that to you, they're blowing smoke up your arse because you'll just eat burnt toast with no supposed benefit. The myth is burnt toast will provide charcoal for reducing alcohol entering your stomach. Unfortunately, that applies to activated charcoal only and is often used in treating patients who have over-dosed or are poisoned.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Drinking safely - May 9th 2011, 12:53 AM

Always make sure that you eat before hand, that way you won't get drunk as quick. Stay away from the kinds of alcohol that have made you sick in the past, and stick to the ones that haven't. Drink in moderation. Don't feel pressured to drink as much (and as quickly) as your friends around you, or the people your hanging out with. I have had that problem, wanting to prove myself, but ended up being sicker than a dog, and ended up puking everywhere. Not a fun time.

Also, there are some pills that you can get at the pharmacy that helps prevent hangovers the next morning (that terrible feeling you have when you wake up). It's also sort of good to puke when your drunk, as it's your bodies way of telling you that you've had too much, so you puke it out of your system.

Also, this has nothing to do with what you asked, but if your in a group of people you don't know well, make sure you keep your drink with you at all times. I've had a friend leave her drink unattended, and someone slipped her the date rape drug. Not a fun time either. So, please be safe in that context as well.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Drinking safely - May 9th 2011, 09:11 PM

Eat something before going to the party and if you do get a hangover drink gatorade that usually does a good job, and don't forget to have fun.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Drinking safely - May 10th 2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
Eat something before going to the party and if you do get a hangover drink gatorade that usually does a good job, and don't forget to have fun.
I totally forgot about gatorade! It does work; I've used it for just normal headaches and they go away so quick! It's due to the electrolights, but I could be wrong.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Rosiee Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rosie

Re: Drinking safely - May 10th 2011, 10:00 PM

Thank you guys, this has been a great help

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Drinking safely - May 10th 2011, 10:07 PM

Eat something before you start drinking, don't mix drinks and drink a soft drink in-between alcoholic drinks

That normally helps me

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Closed Thread