TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
IAmMyself Offline
I earned my insanity :D
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Will

Unhappy Trying to stop smoking pot - May 23rd 2011, 07:14 PM

I've been a pot smoker for about sever years now, and for the past three or four years it's been a regular every day occurrence. I have done tons of research on the effects of weed on the human body and mind, etc. and am aware that it is not physically addictive, but can be mentally addictive. I believe that I have become mentally dependent on weed. When I go a day without weed, (especially a day when I stay home) I feel like there's nothing in the world that'll satisfy my boredom/need for something to entertain me. I get bitchy when i go without... I feel like I've become one of those losers that gets so fucking stoned every day that nothing else matters except that I get stoned. I can't stand it anymore. It's affected my studies, my martial arts training, and my over all mental and social health. My memory is degrading, my lungs are getting worse, I never hang out with my non pot smoking friends anymore... the list goes on. I've been using weed as a crutch to get me through rough times (which I've had quite a few of) and now it's taking the opposite effect on my life. What do you guys think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Trying to stop smoking pot - May 23rd 2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmMyself View Post
I've been a pot smoker for about sever years now, and for the past three or four years it's been a regular every day occurrence. I have done tons of research on the effects of weed on the human body and mind, etc. and am aware that it is not physically addictive, but can be mentally addictive. I believe that I have become mentally dependent on weed. When I go a day without weed, (especially a day when I stay home) I feel like there's nothing in the world that'll satisfy my boredom/need for something to entertain me. I get bitchy when i go without... I feel like I've become one of those losers that gets so fucking stoned every day that nothing else matters except that I get stoned. I can't stand it anymore. It's affected my studies, my martial arts training, and my over all mental and social health. My memory is degrading, my lungs are getting worse, I never hang out with my non pot smoking friends anymore... the list goes on. I've been using weed as a crutch to get me through rough times (which I've had quite a few of) and now it's taking the opposite effect on my life. What do you guys think?
Hey there,

It's best to remove you from the situations that put you around smoking weed. As much as this is going to suck, it's the only true way to get over being mentally dependent on it. I used to smoke weed on a daily basis, or whenever it was presented to me, but after I met my boyfriend, who was a past smoker but had quit due to his military dreams, I quit smoking. Not only was I affecting my life with potential jail time if I were caught, but I'd be affecting someone else's life and career in the process. It didn't sit right with me. Start making plans to hang out with your non-smoker friends. This should make it easier and keep your mind off the nasty substance.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: Trying to stop smoking pot - May 26th 2011, 12:43 AM

I know how you feel. I've been smoking weed daily for the past two years now and have been smoking it for 5.
I haven't smoked weed today and I ended up scraping up bits and the tiny amount of crystal in my grinder just for a toke.. hah
Like Shannon said the only way to quit is to remove yourself from situations where weed is.
Some people start smoking cigarettes as a replacement..but with your martial arts I don't know if you would want to do that. Or even consider smoking.
Another way to quit which usually works is if you just cut down bit by bit.. If you smoke it like 5 times a day, smoke it 3 or 4 times then a few days later cut it down again and again until you get down to 0 times a day
Good luck!

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
IAmMyself Offline
I earned my insanity :D
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Will

Re: Trying to stop smoking pot - May 26th 2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmilexx View Post
I know how you feel. I've been smoking weed daily for the past two years now and have been smoking it for 5.
I haven't smoked weed today and I ended up scraping up bits and the tiny amount of crystal in my grinder just for a toke.. hah
Like Shannon said the only way to quit is to remove yourself from situations where weed is.
Some people start smoking cigarettes as a replacement..but with your martial arts I don't know if you would want to do that. Or even consider smoking.
Another way to quit which usually works is if you just cut down bit by bit.. If you smoke it like 5 times a day, smoke it 3 or 4 times then a few days later cut it down again and again until you get down to 0 times a day
Good luck!
Yeah I totally know how that is. Scrounging for the tiniest bits... But I've been trying to cut down bit by bit and it's worked so far. I used to smoke a quarter(seven grams) in two or three days and now I smoke like nick (one gram) a day if I can. The last few days I haven't really had much access to it, so it's helped me cut down dramatically. Now I need to get ready for the hard part - going a few days, even a week without. Who knows, maybe a few days without keeping that habit going will stop me for good. Oh yeah and Sara, you have beautiful eyes O.O. They just stand out in your picture so well that I had to say something.

Last edited by IAmMyself; May 26th 2011 at 05:12 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: Trying to stop smoking pot - May 27th 2011, 08:48 PM

Yeah a lot of my friends go through a quarter in a few days too. I probably would do the same but I don't have the money for it so I can't hah.
Thats amazing that you've already been able to cut down that much! (even if its just cause of lack of supply) Be proud of what you've done so far (:
And you may find that after a few days without it you won't even feel like you need it or want to smoke it for that matter. I went 2 weeks without smoking it and I felt like I could have kept going without touching it ever again.
The hardest part is the beginning but you'll make it through!
And thank you hehe,I wish they were actually that blue, I edited them so they were more intense :$

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
JohnnyB Offline
I'm here to help!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Johnny

Re: Trying to stop smoking pot - May 31st 2011, 07:27 PM

Hi there. The first step, in my mind, is to make sure you remove yourself from these situations. You can attempt to quit cold turkey in total, and move from there. If that doesn't work, start by cutting down, more and more each week. Hopefully you can ween yourself off. If not, I suggest contacting a trusted adult for help, perhaps a drug or alcohol councillor.

hope this helps,
Johnny

Closed Thread