TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Pot question - March 9th 2009, 07:03 PM

Does smoking pot age you and cause breathing problems the same as cigarettes do?

I don't smoke cigs anymore but I do smoke pot...

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Losing_Control Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Pot question - March 9th 2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Lungs and airways
Lungs and airways"People who smoke marijuana often develop the same kinds of breathing problems that cigarette smokers have: coughing and wheezing. They tend to have more chest colds than nonusers. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia.
Source: http://teens.drugabuse.gov/drnida/drnida_mj1.php

I'm pretty sure that smoking marijuana has similar affects as smoking cigarettes, regarding lung damage and breathing problems.

"I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto"
- Lifehouse

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Pot question - March 10th 2009, 01:55 AM

I've actually known friends of mine who smoke pot to get regular chest and windpipe infections, similar if not the same to ones a smoker may experience, so I would assume it has similar effects on your lungs and breathing over time.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pot question - March 10th 2009, 02:00 AM

Well if you're mixing the marijuana with tobacco, then it's going to have a similar effect to smoking cigarettes. If not, then i assume it won't be as bad on your lungs, but it's not unusual to experience breathing difficulties and throat infections after using pot for a while, similarly to cigarettes.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pot question - March 10th 2009, 02:14 AM

I've never heard of marijuana causing any type of lung problems. ever. I've viewed experiments on the effects of marijuana and a person's lungs before and after smoking, and the only thing that ever changed was a slight diminishing the percentage of lung capacity after smoking.

As far as breathing problems, of that i'm not sure. I've been smoking for 3 years now and it's never hurt me in any way, but we aren't the same person either you know? I don't know honestly. I've never heard of any one getting lung or breathing problems from marijuana unless they have asthma or something. Try doing your own research. Make sure it is completely unbiased and refrain above of all from using any governmentally funded websites like drugfree.org or abovetheinfluence.com. They lie like nobody's business and highly overexaggerate.

Last edited by peaceSRC; March 10th 2009 at 02:28 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pot question - March 10th 2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I just want to be able to breathe. I am quitting smoking because is hindering my lung capacity a noticable amount, and I want to cut down on smoking pot if it's going to mess with my appearance and such. I like to be healthy and active, but I like smoking too. I think maybe I will see what happens once I am completely off the ciggarettes, then go from there.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pot question - March 10th 2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinnocenteyes View Post
Yeah, I just want to be able to breathe. I am quitting smoking because is hindering my lung capacity a noticable amount, and I want to cut down on smoking pot if it's going to mess with my appearance and such. I like to be healthy and active, but I like smoking too. I think maybe I will see what happens once I am completely off the ciggarettes, then go from there.
Well weed is not pysically addictive, just mentally, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get off it if that's what you decide to do. A lot of people regard cigarettes as worse for you than smoking pot, however obviously neither are going to do your lungs any good.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Bumbalo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pot question - March 11th 2009, 01:38 AM

There are no studies relating marijuana to lung problems, cancers, or any health problems.
In fact, marijuana has many medicinal properties.
One study showed that THC helps combat brain tumors.
(WebMD is the source where I read it. A very respected, unbiased online medical info site.)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pot question - March 11th 2009, 01:52 AM

Ok i'm not being conceited in anyway, but just to prove a point, i'm a pretty girl I guess and the only thing that's changed in my appearance since smoking was looking a little sleepy after an occasionally getting circles under my eyes, but other than that weed doesn't change your appearance. If you're worried about developing lung/breathing problems i'd say just cut down on how much you smoke. If you smoke water based pieces like Bongs, hookahs, bubblers or vaporizers, those would be wonderful for your lungs. Those are the healthiest ways to smoke buddha and bongs and vaporizers actually give you 85-92% of the THC in the weed you smoke. I really wouldn't worry too much about pot. Cigarettes definitely.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pot question - March 11th 2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbalo View Post
There are no studies relating marijuana to lung problems, cancers, or any health problems.
(WebMD is the source where I read it. A very respected, unbiased online medical info site.)
Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.

Also, marijuana can speed up the heart rate. You are four times more likely to have a heart attack in the hour directly after smoking marijuana.

Also, in some instances marijuana can cause Hallucinations, Delusions, Impaired memory and Disorientation.

I got this info from; http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.htm

Personally, i'm not an expert.. so i can only go on what i read.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Pot question - March 11th 2009, 01:32 PM

I've only found that you get bad breath when mixing cannabis with tobacco. If you smoke purely green, then your breath will smell like pot, but it does not have the tar from cigarettes. Also, lots of pot smokers use rolling tobacco instead of cigarettes, which again does not have tar, nor a lot of the horrible things in cigarettes which contributes to bad health.
I know healthy pot smokers, as they only smoke pot, and unhealthy ones, as the smoke cigarettes too, also, it you are going to be smoking pot, and giving up cigarettes, you may need to leave the tobacco out, as it will be hard to give up when you're smoking it with pot as well.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
C-cyanide Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chesca

Re: Pot question - March 16th 2009, 06:12 PM

Smoking pot can cause breathing/lung problems just as smoking cigarrettes can, it depends however on whether you are mixing tabbaco with pot or simply pot on its own.
There is evidence that smoking pot harms the lungs just as cigarrettes do and the risk of lung cancer however this does not neccessarily mean that all people who smoke pot will suffer from breathing difficulty.
x
  Send a message via MSN to C-cyanide  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Pot question - March 17th 2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbalo View Post
http://www.newser.com/story/50280/st...ar-cancer.html

It's related to testicular cancer.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/bldea050426_4.htm

It can be related to some mental health problems.

Yes, there are plenty of studies. Do some research before you state such a claim.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pot question - March 17th 2009, 04:37 PM

Well I quite smoking lol... and I kind of answered my own question. I quite smoking a week ago and I can breathe TONS better OMG! ...and my skin is glowing again and not dry anymore. and no more caughing! YAY!... all my bad symtoms are going away and I've continued smoking pot, but I'm cutting down on that too. I'm just so happy I wanted to tell everybody

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pot question - March 17th 2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinnocenteyes View Post
Well I quite smoking lol... and I kind of answered my own question. I quite smoking a week ago and I can breathe TONS better OMG! ...and my skin is glowing again and not dry anymore. and no more caughing! YAY!... all my bad symtoms are going away and I've continued smoking pot, but I'm cutting down on that too. I'm just so happy I wanted to tell everybody
That's great to hear. I'm glad you've stopped and are feeling a lot healthier!

That said, i'm going to close this now since your question seems to be answered. PM me if you want it re-opened. :]

Closed Thread