TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostInMyStory Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steven

weed and alchohol coping.. - June 2nd 2011, 02:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

it seems like every day that my depression recurs i try my hardest to get high or get drunk, i looked at it over the past two years as just another coping skill. and now that i see that im not getting better at all, i dont know what to do about it. ive used since my depression started to just ignore everything until i forgot it. including numerous deaths and several repulsive memories and court struggles. and now im afraid if i were to stop using that i would have to face everything at once. and i dont know how i would do that and stay clean of sh. ive been clean for six months and i really dont think i can contribute it to my own will power. its all been drugs. I feel like if i were to try and quit everything that I would need help immediatley before everything caught up to me. But I cant get the help I need(refering to inpatient treatment) just because i feel like im going to become more depressed without drugs. If anyone has any suggestions about what I should do please tell me. because i know its not healthy, but the relief i get is to much to resist.

- - Live for the Moment, Like it's the last you'll ever have - -
  Send a message via AIM to LostInMyStory  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: weed and alchohol coping.. - June 2nd 2011, 04:56 PM

Like all drugs, if you stop taking them immediately, you will experience the most severe form of withdrawal symptoms. I say "form" because when you quit, you'll have withdrawal symptoms no matter what but you are able to minimize them. The best way would be to keep taking the weed and alcohol but slowly reducing the amount you take. As you experience any withdrawal symptoms, do not begin to take a higher amount. There are programs that can help and certain medications termed antibuses for people who have tried to quit, want to quit but feel they cannot. Hopefully you will not need them and can do it on your own.

As you begin to quit, you would also need to change your social surroundings so the same pressures don't come while you're attempting to be clean. It's not easy to do and even if you change a few bits of the surrounding, that helps better than not changing anything.

As for your depression, the best way to remedy it is psychotherapy and/or medications. If you feel you truly need inpatient care, you can have it but you will first be assessed as to whether in a doctor's opinion, such care is right for you at the time. They may instead refer you to another place simply because you're detoxing and it's not always a pretty experience.

While quitting, you could join certain groups, such as AlcoholicsAnonymous to have support from others and give support. I'm not sure how effective it is but it apparently works for many. What I will say though is do not go into programs that last up to around 1 month then let you go on your own because at that time, you'd be experiencing cross-sensitization.

I don't speak from personal experience, I speak from academic experience and from someone who has seen and been with people who were in the process of detoxing while being quite anxious or depressed.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread